Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Deck layout  (Read 4675 times)

Puff OWind

Deck layout
« on: July 05, 2006, 06:23:52 pm »

I am refurbishing a couple of Marblehead yachts I got from the magic land of ebay.  I have no yacht building experience (but a thousand years - or so it seems - of modelling in other fields). I am after a simple plan view of the layout of the deck fittings - and in particular the run of the sheets and positioning of the winch, together with any fairleads etc..  I have looked at the Gilbert web site and I can't find  anything this basic!  As a non-yachtie I have zero experience to draw upon.

Is there a simple plan anywhere on the web???

David

Puff OWind

Re: Deck layout
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2006, 06:55:42 pm »

???

Erm, okay.  A few minutes ago there were five replies to this post...wherr've they gone???

david ???

Puff OWind

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2006, 07:09:14 pm »

I wasn't going mad....this lot have been deleted. Did I do something wrong or did the mods take umbridge at something I said ???

Hope not!

David

boatmadman
Chief Petty Officer

Re: winch line paths...help please.
? Reply #1 on: July 02, 2006, 06:25:21 pm ?   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi,
Dunno if this is any help, but...
When I raced 1m yachts (and built them) I had a continuous loop of line running for and aft on one side of the boat, passing through the deck to the winch, the limits of travel of the winch were set so that from one limit to the other was equivalent to the travel of the cord from for to aft or vice versa.
I then tied a line from the winch cord to the boom of each sail at a point suitable for the sail.
Hope this helps, not v clear I know but, any more q's please ask

ian

Report to moderator    Logged 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If at first you dont succeed........have a beer!

cbr900
Captain

Mayhem Forum is the Best Model Boat Forum!

? Reply #2 on: July 02, 2006, 06:43:52 pm ?   

If you set your winch as Boatmadman has suggested you will not have any problems opening or closing the sails, remember that where your line goes through the deck to glue in the hole a peice of plastic tube so the line is not rubbing on the timber.. If you need anymore help please ask and you will receive...

Roy

ukengineman
Leading Seaman

? Reply #3 on: July 02, 2006, 09:23:24 pm ?   

Frank Parsons at Nylet does some modestly priced booklets on the rigging of R/C yachts and can of course supply any bits required
http://www.nylet.co.uk/books&plans.htm
BTW I have no connection with Nylet other than being a customer
Alan

boatmadman
Chief Petty Officer

? Reply #4 on: July 02, 2006, 10:25:36 pm ?   

Re passing through the deck.. I always used a piece of bent brass tube, just wide enough for the line to go through, to give a smooth 180 deg return, and set this in a small brass plate glued to the deck. never had any problem with water ingress this way. Had plenty in by other routes though !

If at first you dont succeed........have a beer!

cbr900
Captain

Mayhem Forum is the Best Model Boat Forum!

? Reply #5 on: July 03, 2006, 07:29:33 am ?   

Yes boatmadman that would be just as good, I only use the plastic as it is easier to shape and glue where you want it to go, guess the old personall choice strikes again, but either will do the job satisfactory..

Roy

Welsh_Druid

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2006, 03:24:26 pm »

Hi David

yes its all gone weird hasnt it ? ( or are you confusing the two threads you have going on this subject ? :) - see Construction Queries

Right now to business.? Earlier this year I got the moulds for a Marblehead and moulded three hulls for myself and friends. They are now all sailing and we have ( more or less) used the same rigging..( BTW we dont race).

The attached photos may help. We are all using the HiTec sail winch. Reasonably priced and efficient? It has two drums moulded together. We use a single line from one of the drums, through a deck guide at the bows and back through another deck guide down to the other drum. One of my friends uses a spring tensioner in the circuit to avoid the line jumping off the drum. I dont - I just have the line well tensioned. ( I can do this because I have a computer radio and can adjust the maximum travel each way which maintains tension - sorry if that sounds confusing)

The line has a small ring attached to it on the deck ( mine is plastic - anything will do) and the jib and mainsheets are also attached to this ring. The sheets must then go through a fairlead on the deck before going to the booms. On the booms the line should go through another fairlead attached to the boom before attaching to the boom.? ? If the fairlead? is made adjustable along the length of the boom you can control the relative amounts that the two sails move in relation to each other.

Have a look at the photos - they should explain it all.

To make rigging easy the lines are detachable from the booms - on the jib by using a clip - on the main by using a little catch which clips into the boom itself and is held in place with a rubber ring (small grommet). Picture 4 explains( on the next posting (only three photos allowed per posting >:(.

You will note that I use rather nice through deck pulleys and a double deck pulley for the jib and main sheets. These can be replaced by simple tubes through the deck and an eyebolt on the deck for much lower cost.

The round blue object on the deck is the screw-on top of a waterproof (?) plastic container which houses the RX and battery. The blue sheeting is sticky back dacron which allows access to the inside of the boat if necessary. Don,t forget a drain plug usually on the deck - you WILL get water in somehow? sometime >:(

Best of luck with your rigging - If I can help any more just ask. ( But remember I am not a Marblehead racer? :D)

Don B.

[Too Large - attachment deleted by admin]

Welsh_Druid

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2006, 03:25:13 pm »

Other photo

Stavros

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2006, 05:52:20 pm »

Thanks for that saves me taking photos on sunday!!!! I was wondering how to do the continuos loop see you on sunday

Puff OWind

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2006, 02:30:41 am »

Excellent. Many thanks!!

David

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2006, 11:52:37 am »

Welsh Druid do you have any water coming in through your rudder post, as I have had that problem once before, so to stop it completely I now have the rudder post level with the top of the deck and the rudder control goes from it along the deck for three inches into my radio well, hence no more water through the rudder, I know it does not look nice but I only sail because I love to sail I don't compete, they get to carried away, we do sort of race each other but only in fun which suits us old farts..

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

Welsh_Druid

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2006, 01:01:03 pm »

Roy

Thats interesting - I do get a little water in most times - but lots more when its really blowing and the lee deck spends some time underwater. My friend with one of the other boats I moulded has the same problem even though none of them leak under normal testing. Maybe the rudder post is the culprit  ??? I must investigate, the hull is rather shallow at the stern which necessitates a short rudder tube.

We now have 5 Marbleheads at Llanberis but we are not interested in racing - just enjoying the sailing - with literally miles of lake to use we can go for long walks with the boats sailing along with us (almost like taking the dog for a walk  :D).

Last Sunday I was sailing so long that the battery ran out ( 1800 mah)  -  When I checked the timer on my transmitter I had been sailing for 2 hours and 40 mins  :D I realised something was wrong when the boat carried on sailing steadily to windward  across the lake away from me . Its about a two mile drive round to the other side but a kind canoeist saved the trip  and retrieved the boat for me :)

Don B

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2006, 02:08:54 pm »

I know the feeling when things are good and its a great day for sailing time is easily  forgotten, I am very lucky as my radio has an audible sound when you have about five minutes of battery left so I know its time to come home..

Roy

Welsh_Druid

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2006, 03:30:14 pm »

No problem with the transmitter-? it was the battery in the boat that ran out, and I probably would not have heard an alarm - it was just about at the limit of my (admittedly failing) eyesight.? Its a BIG lake? :D

Don B.

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2006, 03:18:36 pm »

Welsh Druid I am also sailing an A class yacht which is the one in the pic I have to admit of the five yachts I have it does definitely sail the best, it is an absolute pleasure to sail..

Roy

[Too Large - attachment deleted by admin]

Puff OWind

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2006, 06:26:42 pm »

Gosh, some really beautiful yachts here guys. Makes my second hand ones look vaery shabby. Still, when they are finished... ;D

I went to PJ Sails yesterday for advice and parts. Excellent abundance of both!

David

Stavros

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2006, 11:57:05 pm »

Yes soe lovely looking yachts but looks is not everything it is how thye sail ;)

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2006, 04:59:59 am »

David,

We have not yet seen your model, come on mate post some pics...

Roy

Puff OWind

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2006, 11:10:59 am »

Okay, now I have all my bits together the pics will foloow!

In the mean time, I have two things called "flow springs".  What are they used for?  Everything else I have seems fairly self explnatory!

But "flow springs"???

David

ukengineman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2006, 12:24:23 pm »

Flow springs are often used when you have a circular cross section boom or jib to set the flow or curve at the foot of the sail. The spring goes around the boom at the opposite end to the goose neck and the back end or "clew" of the sail hooks into it. By relaxing the spring and sliding it up and down the boom the amount of curve or "flow" can be adjusted at the foot of the sail. The springs have to be chosen to match the diameter of the boom.
Alan

Welsh_Druid

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2006, 06:16:10 pm »

David

If you look at the photos I posted you can see these attachment "springs" on both the main and the jib. I wound them myself using a slightly smaller diameter rod than the booms - clamped the end of the spring wire in a vice - then wound the wire round the rod several times finishing in a hook for attaching the sail. ( of course you can always buy some though  ;))

Don B.

Puff OWind

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2006, 08:53:44 pm »

Thanks!

David
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 21 queries.