Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: trying to finish a model but looking for a certain engine HEMMENS V4  (Read 6028 times)

ROSYTH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Steam glorious Steam..

I am currently working on a launch which is 57inches in length, I have a good sized boiler and the accessories etc but am looking
out for a particular type of engine that Hemmens produced in the 80's I think, not to sure really.
I know it will do the job admireably and look the part so if you have had any dealings with the engine or have one for sale I would welcome
an email and any information you may have on its technical capabilities for the boat.
I found a picture of it on another site and you will see what I mean when I want it for my launch and its size.
Thanks to all for any info that may come my way.

cheers O0
Cliff

Bernhard

Re: trying to finish a model but looking for a certain engine HEMMENS V4
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 07:25:44 am »

hi...great with so big a launch....eny photo of it, i will like to see it...i one time ask  J.Hemmens about that engine,,,he sai ..it is like finding guld on the street,,,,i have only see one for sale. in many years,from ebay...........why not a Cheddar >Proteus   the sometimes come up for sale,,,great strong engine...
http://www.stationroadsteam.co.uk/archive/2505/index.htm

regards Bernhard

Bernhard

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 08:00:55 am »

photo from my old catalog

ROSYTH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Steam glorious Steam..
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2008, 06:59:55 pm »

Hi Bernhard, yes that is the baby the very one and it just looks as though it has the guts to do the job
on such a large launch.
Pity it is only a catalogue picture instead of the real thing and it being for sale too!
I know they are out there, it is just asking about it and then scanning the auctions which I am also trying to do.
It fits the bill for me rather than anything from Cheddar which is what everyone else seems to have and well I just
want something different for a change and it will match the colour of my hull, well nearly.

Keep looking folks, if I come across one then i will let you know just as soon as ok.
Money no object on this as I won't fit anything else ok.

Cheers
Cliff

Bernhard

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2008, 07:54:00 pm »

Hey,,,Try to ask on the usa forum,,,where you got the photos from.. maby he will sell the one he have...you never know..........eny photo of you big launch

regards Bernhard

ROSYTH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Steam glorious Steam..
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2008, 09:47:02 pm »

Ahead of you there Bernhard, I have just registered as a new member and once confirmed I can then do that very deed, so here's hoping of a favourable outcome.
I will let you know what happens.
Pics to follow when I can ok.

Cheers
Cliff

ROSYTH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Steam glorious Steam..
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2008, 10:25:10 am »

Thanks Bernhard, if you follow the WANTED THREADS you will see we have been there and noted it.
This is the beast indeed, however I would rather have one that would match the hull in that lovely bright red
colour.
I guess it could be stripped and re-sprayed but what a lot of work just to have the right colour, so if you come
across the Red Version let me know would.
I amongst others I would guess have noticed that you have your finger on the hobby and the location of all the
sites and sounds along with videos on the steam launches, so if anyone can locate one in RED then your the man.
Many thanks for your reply and keep in touch with any new info, you could even pm me if you want to keep the
location of the object private, either thank you.

Look forward to seeing your next link, either a video link or site link.
Cheers
Cliff

Engineman

• Full Mayhemer
  • Full Steam Ahead!
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2008, 03:11:44 pm »

I guess it could be stripped and re-sprayed but what a lot of work just to have the right colour, so if you come
across the Red Version let me know would.
I want you to know that the 'red' version - MAX4 is a bit different engine (with a bigger bore and crankshaft dia) from the green <and more earlier>  V4. The other thing is that MAX4 has 2 modifications - with mechanical / or displacement  lubricator.  Maybe this specific details can be a sort of use with your choice with the color :).

john hemmens

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2008, 04:47:36 pm »

:angel:    The Max v4 engines.

The original engine was the "Caton" V4 built about 1984. This was improved in 1988 as we then had CNC machines and were able to produce parts to tight tolerances. The "Caton" engines you had to set each eccentric individually and that's time consuming, where as the Max V4 you didn't as every thing just bolted together.
I haven't had a "Caton" V4 back for repair only the odd one where the "expert's had got hold of the engine and made a mess of things.

The "Caton" engine was green and sometimes black and the "Max V4 is red.

The lubricator on the Max V4 was high tech and and did cause problems if fiddled with. So we changed this to a simple displacement type which avoid these problems.
Yes these engines are great and if you see one for sale buy it quickly. Otherwise watch this space.

john hemmens O0

don galfur

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2008, 03:39:39 pm »

Rosyth

I am a new new member from the states whose primary interest is open steam launches. I am putting together a website for the purpose of linking up with others of similar interest as well as to show some of the things I've done in the last 4 years since being bitten by the steam bug.
      I am in fact building a 54 inch open canopy launch based around the MaxV4 which I won on ebay last year for 1700 dollars. It is in splendid condition. In looking at many pictures of open launches, particularly from Richard Mitchell's 1984 publication, The Steam Launch, I have not seen anything like John's V4 that powered such a launch. Almost all were twins of some arrangement, so using this engine for this purpose required I overlook the unrealistic aspect to my plans. But as it is such a lovely piece of machinery, an open launch is best suited to display it.
       The hull I chose is from plans found in Steamboats and Modern Launches by Bill Durham which you may well know. Under a pen name of Will Hardy, Mr. Durham presented his own idea of the ideal open which would require little power due to the fineness of line and minimal draft. This 'Panatella' as he called it served for a number of full sized boats  in the 60's ,one of which I saw in California last Oct. It is a graceful and simple hard chine boat which will serve as a foil to John's truly delightful little plant, the arrangement of which had to be changed a fair degree in order fit well in a boat of of that style. I look forward to posting some pictures of it in the near future. I wish you well in your search for one. Not to be negative, but it is a tall order to come up with one. I know of only one other in my neck of the woods and I doubt he would be willing to part with it for anything like I was fortunate to find mine for. Good Luck however !

Don

ROSYTH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Steam glorious Steam..
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2008, 10:34:16 pm »

Good evening Don, many thanks for your post and the information you pass on.
I have by my bedside the Hardback Version of the Total run of that excellent magazine 'Steamboats' it is without doubt a source of vintage inspiration
and the force behind my drive to achieve a scale Open Launch of such proportions that will make her a real stunner both in Hull design and Build Quality
and not forgetting that elusive steam plant of Engine the MAX V4.
As you quite rightly say, they are hard to find but they are out there and as one person leaves the hobby another one joins and so the flow of such quality
items of Steam Plant enter the market for others to achieve there dream build.
I have no doubt that in the coming months or maybe year I may fall over one on a website or auction and its just a matter of being there when it does, LUCK
being the watchword OR others on seeing one letting me know via the informative forum that both you and I frequent in the pursuit of our hobby.

You must let me know Don if you decide to off load said engine then we can arrange a transaction which will no doubt need funding by way of a Marine Mortgage
such is the price going to be, don't get me wrong but some folk when selling engines etc think they are worth more than they are but they are only worth what
they can get at that time. I have plenty of other things to be doing whilst the build comes together, I have made provision for sufficient space in the Launch should
I come across one and it will remain that way. I am also working on the Open Launch Lady Jane but with the Mahogany Canopy to fit when complete which sits astern
and gives the launch that period feel which is what I like about it.

Many thanks again Don, I shall now investigate that very piece of information you mention in steamboats magazine to read again as it is a bound book of all the published
mags and is full of interesting info both from the UK and the USA and of course other areas of the world to, its diversity makes it a book worth keeping and not selling.
Look forward to seeing some of your pictures in due course and please do feel free to drop me a line anytime all in the name of Steam....Glorious Steam.

Cheers
Cliff

don galfur

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2008, 04:51:50 am »

Rosyth
    I admire your confidence in finding the MaxV4.I guess they are there but I doubt he made more than a couple of hundred; mine was #219 and it was one from around 1999 I believe. I seem to remember the date was on something that came along with the set. It may have been written on the bottom of the original packing plywood. I did not get the original cert. but the unit was new and unused from the looks of the stack. I don't know how he started his numbering sequence, with #001 ?  Hey ,with patience you'll get one!
      If you want to see one of my latest efforts, go the acs.engineering and check out Sandy's gallery which is still up even though the rest of the site is being worked over. Bye for now.
   Don

ROSYTH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Steam glorious Steam..
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2008, 06:00:19 pm »

Cheers Don, I guess I will stick to my guns and be patient then maybe just maybe get the reward and the outcome I am looking to achieve so thanks, I will
also pop along and have a look at Sandy's Gallery later this evening.

Let me know when you get tired of looking at your horrible Max will you then I can stick it in my launch {-)

Cheers
Cliff
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 21 queries.