Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: e mail virus - Help!  (Read 6164 times)

tubby tomo

e mail virus - Help!
« on: February 20, 2008, 09:45:44 am »

i have a e mail virus i just cant get rid of it    :-\ :-\ :'( help

barryfoote

Re: e mail vious
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 09:56:13 am »

Do you have any backups of your C drive as in System restore or something similar. If si simply restore your system to a time before you got the virus.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: e mail vious
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 09:58:02 am »

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

tubby tomo

Re: e mail virus - Help!
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 11:33:09 am »

thanks gents ill try anything ill keep you up to speed on what works  O0

BobF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 12:21:38 pm »

Hi TT,

As a completely none computer minded user, how does this virus cause you problems? All the viruses I ever had, stopped my computer working. I did once have a virus that that was intercepted before it caused damage, but could not be removed, but that was put into quarantine.

Bob

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 12:59:24 pm »

Many of the virus' target the anti virus (AV) program itself.

If it can interupt the AV, then it can get to work by using your PC as:
An email server or
Trying to capture your data ( account numbers, passwords, pin numbers etc - key stroke loggers ),
Maliciously smashing up your data,
Downloading advertising programs that appear as internet pop-up or tool bars.
Most just slow your internet down to a crawl...

Most don't to that much damage but are a real pain in the neck to remove if not dealt with immediately.

Search for an on line scan to check your AV - but AVG Free is what I now use... Nortons - Ha! >:(

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

sunnybob

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 05:55:02 pm »

Martin, I'm a cynical old B'stard, I've never passed up the opportunity to look gift horses in mouths, and if it looked too good to be true, it always was :(

Why is AVG free?

I know Norton is a complete pain in slowing things down, but so far, its protected me from stuff that others didnt find.

Doubting Bob  ;) :)

barryfoote

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2008, 06:03:03 pm »

Martin, I'm a cynical old B'stard, I've never passed up the opportunity to look gift horses in mouths, and if it looked too good to be true, it always was :(

Why is AVG free?

I know Norton is a complete pain in slowing things down, but so far, its protected me from stuff that others didnt find.

Doubting Bob  ;) :)

Because it's producers got fed up with big companies charging us a fortune to do what comes very cheaply. AVG is superb. I started with it when my brother who builds computers and really is an expert put me onto it about a year ago. They are not daft and only offer the basic service free of charge. If you want deeper protection you can pay for it, but even that is reasonably priced. My advise is simple. If you run Norton or Mcafee on a home based PC, get rid and install AVG. It does exactly what it says on the tin......

Or.....Keep paying for nothing....

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2008, 06:09:53 pm »

Well my story is I was always a Nortons man, my Norton got hit by a Virus and Norton didn't pick it up, in fact the virus used Norton to infect a load of files on my hard disk!  >>:-( After that I went to AVG, it's free, fast, doesn't suck up half my bandwidth or slow down my PC. It just does one job instead of 20 that Nortron tries to and does them all "sort of OK." AVG is free as it's a basic program with no bells and whistles, £42 for the full cream version. http://www6.grisoft.com/doc/1/uk/crp/0 - It's always worth doing a completely independent check via an online virus checker or another AV program, that's what I use Adaware for. I used McAfee for a year too but found it very buggy and "cluncky" in use.

I also use Zone alarm basic (also free for the same reasons as above) as I don't use a hardware firewall, ( You usually get a Firewall with your Wireless router but I don't need wireless...)

Do you know what virus do you have?

Martin.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2008, 06:49:02 pm »

We all have our favourites. I'm using Steganos which cost me about £25. It usually comes out very high on the comparison tables, updates itself in the background and doesn't slow the PC down unduly. (I have Vista!). I previously had Norton with Windows XP but it strangled the PC and took it over whenever it felt like it.

Virus checkers like AVG are free because you get the basic model which is usually OK for home use. The company make their money on higher spec versions with more bells and whistles which they sell to commercial users with networks etc.

sunnybob

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2008, 07:56:09 pm »

My computer has been clean for a few years now (at least norton tells me it is ::)) But i do agree that this last norton renewal with xp is strangling my internet to death. >>:-(

I used to use zone alarm, it didnt catch the bugbear virus that wiped out my last 'puter. I also have adaware, but i hardly ever remember to run it, so when i do I find dozens of spys.

Problem is I have only renewed the norton a couple months ago, so am loth to wipe it all out. I think I shall suffer for another 6 months, and then I will have to start again as I am moving abroad permanently. The internet is a new thing at my new home, i may not have to worry about any of it! :'( :'( :'(
Thanks for the comments,
Bob

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2008, 11:22:24 pm »

I also found Norton to be unsatisfactory, and now use an AV called PC Cillin with excellent results - I have never had a virus since I started using it. However, as Colin said, we all have our favourites. I have also found that using a hardware firewall (incorporated in my wireless router) is a huge bonus.
Peter.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2008, 11:34:35 pm »

At work we've went Norton a couple of months....... Oh dear!
A lot of finger pointing going in I.T..... :(

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
    • goole model boat club indi site
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2008, 11:50:15 pm »

I cant fault you guys in using AVG ,i have used it for years now and not had a problem with it ,like you say Martin it does what it says .
the only time i get the odd virus is when swimbo downloads a picture off some dodgy site ,or the favorite is to click on the flashy thing that looks like a windows page informing you that your clock is wrong and "click here to set it right" {-) yeh right ,that bug cost me a format and reload ,and £40. good to say she dont click on them again  ;D .
I have just bought a laptop and they gave me norton 360 for 12 months free ,but that will stay on the disc cos as soon as the trial finishes AVG will protect the laptop and adware aswell as i have that on this  one  too.
My pc doc uses bulgard and he swears by it ,its not a free av but at the moment its the only one to guaretee stopping key loggers and the like .
daz
I like to build my boats to play with, not to just look pretty, so they dont !

offshore1987

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2008, 02:07:31 am »

On my home Pc i have something i get ride of grr norton cant find it and get ride of it grrr lol

so iv had to pinch my dads laptop even more

This is a pic of what keeps popin up  :(

Do you think AGV will get rid of this? everytime i click on something on the net it pops up everytime and is sooo annoying

All the best

Umi_Ryuzuki

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2008, 04:47:04 am »

Actually, it looks like a pop up to get you to click "OK" and download the virus or trojan from a remote server. Never click "OK"

Clear your temp files.
Down load AVG, and install and run it.

If it checks out clear,good.
Then go to Trendmicro and run their online scanner, Housecall.

Between the two of these your machine should clear up. If it doesn't, then something like
Spybot or another spyware hunting program may be necessary.

If you are running XP or Vista, turn of the auto restore option prior to running the anti virus programs. I had a friends computer that the restore file  kept putting the infection back into the computer after we cleaned it.

As a side note, I had a real estate friend that asked me to check his comps.
He had Norton, and we made sure to update his AV programs to the latest releases.
When scanned, the nortan pronouced all three of his computers clean.

However, when we ran Trendmicro, it started finding infections.
Each time trendmicro found an infection, the Norton program would pop up and declare that
it also found the infection. This is right after it had just declared the computers clean?!?  ???
In all we found six different infection in about 16 locations on all three of the computers.
I installed AVG on his comps, and they were clean till the day he gave them up for new computers.

(I believe that the free AVG version is typically 30 days behind the "latest" updates. If you visit riske' websites, it may benefit you to pay for a full version. If you are a careful internet user, 30 days old is not a bad risk considering the price for AVG is free.) ;)

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2008, 08:47:56 am »

We had Norton pre-installed on the laptop we bought last year (Windows XP) and it was worse than having a bl00dy virus! I took the machine back and had the supplier uninstall it.

Drinking buddy Huw is IT Manager for a large insurance brokers; there are 40-odd PCs on the network which he rules over. He tweaks/fixes our ACTion PCs for the price of a few cans of Strongbow. Huw's systems all run AVG Free edition and Spybot. Like me, he'll have nothing to do with Norton or McAfee and thinks Zone Alarm is unneccessary if you have a wireless router, even if your PCs are connected to it via a LAN cable (like two out of three of ours are).

Suit yourselves, but we've had no problems with viruses or other PC nasties in three years - or any cider left after he's been round!

FLJ

meechingman

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tugs Rule, OK!
    • Andrew Gilbert
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2008, 09:12:12 am »

(I believe that the free AVG version is typically 30 days behind the "latest" updates.

Given that AVG free updates itself most days, I'm not so sure about that.

Be careful with some of those pop-ups. If you click on the X to close, some start trying to run. Pressing Alt+F4 sometimes works, but there are a couple that require you to close your browser to get rid of them. Having scanned after a couple of episodes, none have placed anything nasty on the computer.... so far!

Andy
Admiral of the Haven Towage Fleet.

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2008, 09:39:05 am »

I work in an IT department at a Scottish University. We use (get free, through a site licence) McAfee which is the bees' knees. Best bit of AV software I've seen. There's a 30-day free trial available on the McAfee website. If you've got a trojan, download the trial, unplug your internet connection, reboot the PC, load McAfee and run it. It'll nail the thing.

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

Captain Povey

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2008, 10:27:29 am »

Our company's IT support people came in last week and upgraded all our PCs and laptops with the latest version of Norton Corporate and removed Adaware saying it was no longer supported. I am no expert but they seem to know what they are doing and we have had no problems over the last couple of years. His explanation of why Vista machines were slow was that they have so many things checking, re checking and checking the checking, plus indexing things in the background that their power was seriously affected hence the huge RAM supplied with every machine. He also claimed that 60% of businesses with Vista were dissatisfied with the performance and that XP was still the best so far although another system to replace Vista was about to be launched. Unfortunately I have also recently (last night)  renewed my Norton Internet Security for the home PC so am stuck with it for another year but will watch with interest the feedback on the free ones. Cheers Graham.

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2008, 01:01:15 pm »

I started using AVG in 1996 and have not had a problem, but have removed every brand of AV you can think of mostly for the reason that they all seemed to slow machines drastically.........

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

meechingman

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tugs Rule, OK!
    • Andrew Gilbert
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2008, 01:37:29 pm »

I am no expert

I could be cheeky and say that the IT guys don't seem to be either!  :P

Adaware is still alive and well and supported. I no longer use it on this PC, but it is on the upstairs one and on both laptops. I now use Webroot - very efficient and not too expensive on a 3-year deal. That's alongside AVG Free.

Andy
Admiral of the Haven Towage Fleet.

Welsh_Druid

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2008, 03:53:47 pm »

Yes - Adaware IS still going - I have just downloaded the latest definitions SE1R221 dated  18-02-2008

Don B.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2008, 07:38:47 pm »

AVG free for the virus watch, ad-aware for malware, with an occasional spybot scan, zone alarm as a firewall. 
All free, because they all would like me to buy the full versions which cover the same ground as the other freebies.  I also use a program that I grabbed as a freebie years ago called "no-ads" as a selective popup killer.
A look at www.majorgeeks.com can be rewarding.  On the right hand side of the home page is a tab labeled "top freeware picks" which is well worth a look.  They also have some specific malware removers listed.
An occasional cleanout with the "eusing" FREE registry cleaner helps keep things running right.
No one nastyware scanner will find everything - but a selection of the freebies will do as good a job as anything.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

sunnybob

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2008, 09:03:33 am »

Well............. I dont have a virus, but since starting this hobby, I have started to recieve spam emails >:(

When I joined, I used an email address that has been dormant for years. It has only been used on this and one other scale model forum, so I can be very sure that either this or the other forum has a members list that has been grabbed by spammers.

Today for the first time I got spam on my normal address, which is the one I log in here (and the other forum) from.

Is anyone else suffering the same?
Unhappy Bob. 
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.