Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: Nautical "Strange but True!"  (Read 214234 times)

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Nautical "Strange but True!"
« Reply #675 on: October 07, 2010, 08:45:26 am »

Bryan,
I think you can take it as a given that any lack of response is down to the audience sitting back and waiting for the next episode. As has been mentioned. you have an easy style which engages the imagination and  enhances the story's interest.

The only disappointment likely to arise is when you bring us up to the present day and the RFA narrative will stop. What then? - The Dark Side of Whitley Bay? Travels with Flora?

Cheers,

Barry M

Welsh_Druid

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #676 on: October 07, 2010, 08:49:08 am »

Bryan -  in my opinion there just isn't anything even remotely as interesting posted on this forum.  PLEASE don't stop. Its the first thing ( and sometimes the only thread ) that I look for.

Don B.

Roger in France

« Reply #677 on: October 07, 2010, 10:08:30 am »

Bryan,

I think you need to reflect that most authors apparently go unappreciated. It is not normal to contact an author and tell them you have read their writings and appreciate them. Brits. in particular are reticent about contacting authors.

I write to authors via their publishers some times. Frequently I never get a response but very occasionally an exchange of views take place. I only write when I can add to the subject or correct the author. In your case I would guess there are very few who could do that. For example.....I recently wrote to the UK's esteemed Foreign Secretary about his biography of William Pitt pointing out a couple of things which I think he got wrong but saying how good I thought the book was. I never expected nor received a response.

I write for two magazines and I get little feedback, yet the publishers tell me they want me to continue.

I think you should assume what you write is appreciated until you are told otherwise. You have several words of encouragement above and I add mine, as I have done before.

Roger in France

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #678 on: October 07, 2010, 11:17:55 am »

I too am Spellbound. The way you write makes me forget about my surroundings and totally engrosses me in your world. I find it it fascinating and feel that I am there with you.I love the descriptions of the locations and can imagine I'm walking beside you.

More please.

Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #679 on: October 07, 2010, 02:20:49 pm »

Bryan,

I have only commented on your thread twice before I think, mainly because
I felt I was living through you the life at sea, I would much rather sit here and
read your musing on your life at sea than anything else, being mainly a landlubber
(Master of a River Ferry only) you have had a life a thousand times more interesting
than old fools like us, so please continue we are avidly following your every word......... :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #680 on: October 07, 2010, 02:58:31 pm »

Gosh folks, you're embarrassing him now. Just get on with the next bit Bryan.

Colin

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #681 on: October 07, 2010, 04:00:23 pm »

Still following your story with great interest Bryan. Having only done 3 months 'probationary' 3rd Mate in the RFA I only glimpsed the machinations of the powers that be and the wasting of tax payers money. (eg doing a Navex on passage between Gosport and Portland involving steaming way out to sea to get out of territorial waters - the real reason was so the bond could be opened for a ciggy issue  O0 God knows the cost of fuel for that jaunt ! ) Certainly no criticisms on your narrative, but since you resumed I thought you seem a little more bitter towards the 'Powers' albeit certainly with good reason !

Mike
Mike, please expound a little. Bitter? Me? Nah! Just sometimes wondered if it was all a Masonic thing!. Cheers. Bryan.
Notes from a simple seaman

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #682 on: October 07, 2010, 04:09:11 pm »

Bryan, we're all spellbound!

You are telling it like it was/is and I find it quite fascinating. You have visited parts of the world that I will never see and brought them to life from your personal observations. You have also provided an insight into what life aboard ship is like which is very different to the experience of most of us who get these things from sitting in front of the telly. You have obviously lived a full and eventful life and I for one am slightly envious.

So just carry on please!

Colin
Colin, it wasn't all beer and skittles (OK, lots of beer but no skittles). Really, what I was asking was do I go into too much detail, or not enough.
A difficult line to draw sometimes. Bryan.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #683 on: October 07, 2010, 04:15:36 pm »

Yes please more of the same . You seem to have the knack, dont change a thing.  :-))
Thanks "Arrow", but over the years ones perceptions of "things" and ones "tastes" change quite radically. For instance, I would really like to go back and enjoy a boozy night in Bougis Street (without tie or spats), but I certainly don't want to be surrounded by the RN equivilant of the Millwall supporters club. As seems to happen more nowadays. Bryan.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #684 on: October 07, 2010, 04:17:24 pm »

I concur,I really like your easy style of writing Bryan,very similar in style to that great Python traveller. Keep up the good work mate. :-)) :-))
Ta, and thanks for your wise words a few weeks ago. Google Earth now works fine. Bryan.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #685 on: October 07, 2010, 04:22:11 pm »

Sorry Bryan I should have posted but I have just been sitting back enjoying the saga so far.  Even though I was Grey Funnel Line
and not RFA a lot of things rings true just the same.  As far as I was concerned the best place for the Carriers and Cruisers(yes we still
had them in my day) was sailing  away over the horizon in the opposite direction. Especially if you had a good skipper, I can't say I'm impressed
by "Deity".  I'm sure everybody is enjoying it as much as me.
Geoff
Ah, Geoff. Finished painting the stables yet?
What aren't you impressed with? God? Tut tut. Perhaps it was apposite that his main hobby was archery, but Eros he certainly wasn't. Bryan.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #686 on: October 07, 2010, 04:37:09 pm »

Bryan,
I think you can take it as a given that any lack of response is down to the audience sitting back and waiting for the next episode. As has been mentioned. you have an easy style which engages the imagination and  enhances the story's interest.

The only disappointment likely to arise is when you bring us up to the present day and the RFA narrative will stop. What then? - The Dark Side of Whitley Bay? Travels with Flora?

Cheers,

Barry M
Barry, as usual you've opened yet another can of worms. I suppose I could write about Tynemouth Model Boat Club, but I really don't want to be ejected from such an auguste institution. Not that I've been to the lake very often this year. Although I miss chatting to some of the members and even sailing a boat now and again, the triple disadvantages of doing so have curtailed my "travelling" a bit....ie, weed in the lake (now cleared I believe), Gout (which plays havoc with good intentions), and a bit of self-pity when I try to use my right eye. But all is not lost (yet), and with any luck I'll return to the fold for next season.
As for Flora, well, she did spread herself a bit too widely and is now buried in an appropriate tub behind the new Netto store. Seemed apt at the time. Regards. Bryan.

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #687 on: October 07, 2010, 04:40:00 pm »

Mike, please expound a little. Bitter? Me? Nah! Just sometimes wondered if it was all a Masonic thing!. Cheers. Bryan.

Bryan, having 'thunked' about my remark again, as you are now recounting the various ships towards the end of your time in the RFA (at least I am guessing you are !) the novelty has long, long worn off and disillusionment with the likes of the MOD and deities various, taken its place. Please ignore my ramblings  O0

Mike

PS Is that why I got those funny handshakes on the  'Tide Pool' I thought I had just scored  %)

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #688 on: October 07, 2010, 04:46:16 pm »

Bryan -  in my opinion there just isn't anything even remotely as interesting posted on this forum.  PLEASE don't stop. Its the first thing ( and sometimes the only thread ) that I look for.

Don B.
In that case you must be the most patient Welshman on the planet! Thanks. Bryan.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #689 on: October 07, 2010, 04:56:35 pm »

I too am Spellbound. The way you write makes me forget about my surroundings and totally engrosses me in your world. I find it it fascinating and feel that I am there with you.I love the descriptions of the locations and can imagine I'm walking beside you.

More please.

Ken

Walking? Sometimes staggering, but always made it "home" again. But my world was an odd one, I agree. I still feel sorry for those who have to wait for a train at o-crack-sparrow-fart on a winter morning, or have to suffer rush hour traffic both to and from "work". On a "good" day, I could get out of bed at 0730, shower and dress in the appropriate garb and just purely enjoy the colours and "remoteness" of a tropical ocean.....before the days hassle began. On a "bad" day....well, life didn't seem so welcoming. BY.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #690 on: October 07, 2010, 04:59:42 pm »

Bryan,

I have only commented on your thread twice before I think, mainly because
I felt I was living through you the life at sea, I would much rather sit here and
read your musing on your life at sea than anything else, being mainly a landlubber
(Master of a River Ferry only) you have had a life a thousand times more interesting
than old fools like us, so please continue we are avidly following your every word......... :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

Roy
At least you would probably have been at home most nights.
The longer you spend away from home, the more you yearn for it. Going "away" just gets harder and harder. Bryan.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #691 on: October 07, 2010, 05:01:50 pm »

Gosh folks, you're embarrassing him now. Just get on with the next bit Bryan.

Colin
Was that an order? I gave up obeying orders a long time ago, and have no desire to return.....

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #692 on: October 07, 2010, 05:05:50 pm »

I enjoyed that little sally, but now I'm a little more invigorated I shall treat the Bishops order as a "request" rather than an injunction. BY.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #693 on: October 07, 2010, 05:10:29 pm »

It was an exhortation Bryan.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #694 on: October 07, 2010, 06:35:18 pm »

Looking at the 'read' count of this topic Bryan, currently it's been seen over 24,000 times!!  :o
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #695 on: October 07, 2010, 07:01:19 pm »

It was an exhortation Bryan.
You are forgiven, my son.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #696 on: October 07, 2010, 07:02:33 pm »

Now, where did I get to.
Passing Krakatoa I think.
But do you mind if I go back to Mombassa for a moment? These little odd recollections just pop into my head now and again.
How much do you pay for a titchy little bag of Cashew nuts? 90p?, £1?  During one of my little forays I stopped the taxi and bought a bag of these things from a small child who was flogging them from the roadside. He wanted about 20p per bag.
You all have refrigerators ay home, so you (should) know the size of the big plastic bin that is supposed to hold salads etc? For 20p my “bag” when emptied into said “bin” held too many nuts…so I had to give about half away. Somebody is making a profit! This bag was more akin in size to a coal sack than the little bags we get here. So I gave the child probably a months pay (£2), and was rewarded with the most beautiful smile you can imagine.

But back to the real world as I knew it.
The original “plan” was for us to get into the vicinity of the Sunda Strait and the other ships would join us for a “line astern” passage. Didn’t happen. For some reason or another the ships in the Seychelles and Mauritious had been permitted to extend their visits. This left “Invincible” just meandering aimlessly around the South Indian ocean by herself….”Bayleaf” having departed for her normal “top-up” role in the Persian Gulf.
      This “thing” showed all the signs of unravelling and we hadn’t got anywhere yet.
Even the Deity was concerned enough to send a signal asking if this was really a “Group Deployment”.
      The  Groups projected programme was to include visits to Singapore, Hong Kong, Tokyo and Pusan ( and some repeats on the way back).
Then the whole programme changed.
The first visit en-masse would go ahead, as would the first visit to Hong Kong. But then all the ships except “Fort Austin” would return to Singapore for a period of “self Maintenance” and R&R. “Fort Austin” would be required to stay at sea for the entire month (September ’92) …..for reasons we weren’t told about. The morale within the ship rose immeasurably as you can imagine. Eventually we found Singapore, basically in the same place it always had been, but we came in from a different direction. We came in alone. Some “Group”, eh? But we did have the pleasure of being alongside for once, and with no major work to be done apart from the usual day to day housekeeping most of us managed a few runs ashore.
I really love the meals you can get in Singapore from the various “stalls”. These stalls used to be just set up higgledy-piggedly along the roads, but now they’d been sort of corralled into “areas”. This was a “good move” as the diversity of food and the general congregation of customers from all walks of life just made the whole experience of eating more like being part of a real life stage show. Absolutely wonderful. Then on to Bougis Street? Or Raffles, perhaps? Or maybe even the Intercontinental Hotel where air-hostesses would slum during their “stop-overs”. The city was our oyster at night. In Singapore, if you behave yourself and don’t throw away a cigarette stub you can cut loose and enjoy yourself, and feel really safe wherever you wander. But in general we would just go out and eat well, meander around what old haunts were still left standing and just enjoy a few hours of freedom.
       Shopping was another matter altogether. Buy whatever you want in Singapore, from a Concubine to a Cucumber (wrong alliteration?). A Tigers "xxxxx",sir? Certainly sir. Powdered Rhino horn? No problem. A Parrot or perhaps a caged Canary? A computer built to your specification? Have it by tomorrow, sir. Or would sir like a drink while you wait?
Singapore is a world away from what most of us would consider “normal”.
Forget the “Orchard Roads” shopping malls and their ilk, get into the back streets away from the tourist traps and an altogether different world awaits.
Wander down the banks of the “Sweet River” that more or less runs past the Merlion and under the marvellous chain bridge into the heart of old Singapore. The “Sweet River” was so named because it was once the smelliest places on earth. A bit like “Happy Valley” in Hong Kong, that was anything but “happy”). Forget about the modern high rise business district (that used to be the home of “change alley” and “Taxi-dance” girly bars). The old part still thrives. Street after short street, each street being dedicated to one product. One street making coffins, another all pet shops, yet another only selling “medicinal” stuff….with examples nailed to plywood board just to tempt you. A street of metal founders or another of silversmiths. The list is endless. And all these places of business seem to be run by little old Chinese men with bandy legs dressed in an off white vest, baggy black shorts and flip-flops. This is the true Orient.
        Plus the evening descant of the Bull-frog chorus. And the insects that really should have had an air-worthiness certificate. Another world is out there if you take the time to discover it.

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #697 on: October 07, 2010, 07:56:39 pm »

Ooh Bryan!  :o  :o

This thread is becoming far too risque. Tugboat Kenny finds you engrossing, fascinating and wants to walk beside you while DickyD threatens to give you some stick.

Time to turn down the thermostat of your matelot magnetism before the rest of us lose control and swoon at your Hush Puppies.

Haud me back - some of that old Flora magic must be in your genes.   :kiss:

Shocked,

Barry M 

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #698 on: October 07, 2010, 10:12:59 pm »

Ooh Bryan!  :o  :o

This thread is becoming far too risque. Tugboat Kenny finds you engrossing, fascinating and wants to walk beside you while DickyD threatens to give you some stick.

Time to turn down the thermostat of your matelot magnetism before the rest of us lose control and swoon at your Hush Puppies.

Haud me back - some of that old Flora magic must be in your genes.   :kiss:

Shocked,

Barry M 

Hmmm. Methinks that may need a bit of thought, but one thing'd for sure, there isn't much Flora magic left in my jeans. Bryan.

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #699 on: October 08, 2010, 07:36:27 am »

That last part about Singapore was spot on Bryan, you conjured up exactly the feel of wandering around that place. I had wondered what had happened to Change Alley, but not surprised that it also had gone the way of Bougis Street. Did the eating stalls at Jardines Steps survive ?
The fancy portable radio I bought up the Alley has only recently gone to the dump (In the correct recepticle of course  >>:-( )

Mike
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 22 queries.