Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My Seaport Tug Conversion  (Read 3642 times)

jackhill

My Seaport Tug Conversion
« on: May 23, 2011, 11:05:17 pm »

This is my conversion of the dickie/seaport tug. I bought this tug off of Ebay, and stripped it down to the hull right out of the box.

Next I removed all the crappy electronics, and installed new speed control and a new 8.4 volt 3000mah nimh battery.

I painted the plastic hull to make it look more realistic .

After i cut out some of the deck , I had to make a new deck piece.

I wanted to totally change the look to a more traditional old tugboat so i built a whole new cabin from scratch.

I was able to use some of the deck hardware from the old cabin like the life boat,radar,horns and spotlight.

I was not happy with the color i painted it after I got done,but still was pretty happy with the way the cabin turned out.

So then it was back to work, I got rid of the line reels on the bow and stern. and repainted it .

Here are a few pictures of my seaport tug renamed lil Dragon .

Thanks to everyone that posted there pictures of there builds , it really helped with my build. Here are some on the water pictures. I built a couple of barges for it to push and pull around.

TugCowboy

Re: My Seaport Tug Conversion
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 11:32:55 am »

Now that looks really good. Like what you've done with the cabin.

Can I ask, did you seal the rest of the deck down permanently or did you just leave the screws in? I'm mulling over what to do with mine at the moment. I'm thinking I probably don't NEED the access provided by the screws, but It might be nice to have if I want to replace the propshaft someday.

Alex

jackhill

Re: My Seaport Tug Conversion
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 12:15:10 am »

I left the screws in case I need to get back in to the servo or the shaft.  I still may upgrade the motor but it pulls pretty good with the original motor. Thanks for the good words. Im pretty proud of it. It is now my favorite model I have.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 20 queries.