Masterclasses > Whitehills Lifeboat

Whitehills Lifeboat by Gribeauval

<< < (2/7) > >>

gribeauval:
After the decking the first layer of hull planking was applied. On real lifeboats of this period both layers of planking would have been diagonally laid. I have laid the first layer fore and aft as this allows for corrections to the shape to be made when I make cock ups!
The planks were steamed/soaked before gluing and pinning in place.The ends of the hull were not planked as the curves were easier to produce in solid balsa for this lower layer.

gribeauval:
The end air box casings were also planked over at this stage and the hull planking completed.

gribeauval:
Now the ends were filled with blocks of balsa and when set shaped and sanded to match the rest of the planking.

gribeauval:
On the original boats the two layers of planks were separated by a layer of calico cloth. This helped with sealing the hull and still allowed a small degree of lexibility. This I reproduced with a layer of cotton sheeting (don't tell the wife!!) glued onto the planking. Even though it will never be seen again, I know its there, and that's all that matters. ;) When this was dry the outer layer of planks was fitted by steaming/bending and gluing in place.

gribeauval:
Planking finished!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version