Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: More Glue Advice Please  (Read 2779 times)

BreezyB

More Glue Advice Please
« on: February 27, 2008, 05:35:04 pm »

Amongst other things I am assembling a Thunder Tiger "Aussie II" Yacht Kit. I will soon be attempting to fit the one piece moulded plastic deck to the hull moulding (ABS??).  2 Pack epoxy is provided for this but as this is a new experience for me I am concerned that by the time I have mixed and neatly applied the adhesive to the rim of the hull and fitted the deck in place some of the epoxy will have started to cure. I wonder if this will give a weak and probably leaky seal.
It occurred to me that one of the automatic mix syringe epoxy products with a nozzle would not only give me more working time but I would be able apply it in a neater "bead". But would it be suitable for plastic to plastic?.
What do you think team??. All ideas and suggestion would be most welcome. :)
Cheers, Barrie.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
Re: More Glue Advice Please
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 06:41:15 pm »

BreezyB.
If you use the slow setting epoxy 2 hr plus, it gives you plenty of time to mix, place where you want it and most importantly CHECK.
Hold hull parts together with elastic bands or tape, then invert the hull and leave for at least 24 hrs.
To be sure leave a little of the mix on the mixing board and check that has gone off.
Hope this helps.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 05:13:41 am »

I would be inclined to smear on the epoxy where you want it.

A bead may be too much and this may squelch out onto the surfaces and it can be a pig to get off.

Does it say if the epoxy provided is 5min, 30 min etc?

I would also score or sandpaper the surfaces to be glued, to make a good contact, as well as cleaning them.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

BreezyB

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 05:21:08 pm »

Very many thanks for your comments, chaps, I guess that the crucial aspect is the cure time and the supplied 2 Pack doesn't indicate the cure time. However I would think that the manufactures would take that into consideration so it is probably quite generous.
The mouldings are, actually, very accurate so a "first time" fit should be possible without too much time wasting "fiddling".
OK on the roughing up and the way to secure the parts while drying and inverting the whole thing makes sense .
I had wondered about cleaning the residue which "tt" mentions, the instructions say that excess epoxy can be wiped away with a damp cloth provided it is done immediately but my experience of epoxy brings that into question, what do you think??
Thanks to your support, I am happier about using the products supplied with the kit so thank you for helping out.  O0
Regards
Barrie.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 05:37:59 pm »

Mix up a very small amount of the epoxy and see how long it takes to go off at the temperature you will be using it on the model. Then you will know how much "wiggle time" you've got.

Colin

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008, 05:41:15 pm »

Mask off the area adjacent to the joint to be glued so any epoxy sags go onto the tape.

Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2008, 11:56:02 pm »

Turn hull upside down,
This is much better on flat decks, it does allow epoxy to spread and any drips arent visable.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 08:24:50 am »

add some microballoons, it thickens the mix and reduces runs.

Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2008, 11:09:34 am »

The fix time of the glue is how long it takes to go off.

As soon as it goes off it is still fairly soft, and jsut before it goes off it is still pliable.
At this stage it is quiet easy to get off.
If you leave it for 24 hours it will be rock hard and you won't shift it easy.

Perhaps if you wipe of excess straigth away, this will leave only a thin film. Then as soon as it goes off this can be rubbed off with your finger methinks.
Perhaps others would like to comment.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

BreezyB

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2008, 12:47:01 pm »

My thanks to all for your valuable contributions. I felt that this is an operation which needs to be carried out carefully and neatly otherwise the whole thing could go 'orribly wrong  :embarrassed:. However, I am now better equipped to tackle the job which, hopefully, will now turn out OK  :) Thanks again,
Regards
Barrie.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 21 queries.