Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TV - The Jet stream & Me - Day of the Kamikaze  (Read 2457 times)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
TV - The Jet stream & Me - Day of the Kamikaze
« on: February 27, 2008, 11:57:13 am »

Anyone see those programs over the last week or so - The Slipstream & Me - Day of the Kamikaze.

The Jet stream program was very intersting and went into the problems of high level bombing over Japan in WWII and how it had to be abandoned due to the inaccuracy of the bomb sight and the high speed the B29 were being carried along at 30,000 feet. At one point a pilot asked the navigator what was the ground speed... a few minutes later the answer came back,  "-3 mph" !?!?!?

The Kamikaze program was about how desperate the Japanese Empire were to resort to such an irrational tactic. Several naval personal were interviewed about what it was like to be on the receiving end.... "When you realised what that pilot was doing... it became very personal and it was suddenly between him and you!"   Scary!
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: TV - The Slipstream & Me - Day of the Kamikaze
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 12:11:37 pm »

Saw the Kamikaze one, quite good except for the way they kept using the same shot of a smoke emitting Zero doing a low fly by! Missed every time!!!

djrobbo

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 02:44:52 pm »

Saw the kakikaze one aswell........used t know a kamikaze pilot who returned from 8 missions   ...he ws called chicken chop suey.... :D {-) ::)

regards....bob.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 03:15:53 pm »

Didn't know there were any Chinese Kamikazes Bob! Raw Sushi for the successful ones maybe...

grasshopper

• Full Mayhemer
    • A1 Hobbies Ltd.
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 08:05:06 pm »

then there was the irish kamikaze - crashed his 'plane into his brother's scrapyard...

to be serious: crazy or not, you have to admire their bravery - there's dying for your country and suicide for your country.

bigfella

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 09:54:22 pm »

But isn't that what the terrorists do today. I don't call that brave??

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2008, 10:03:24 pm »

The US Navy Admirals were astounded at the UK Carriers when they were hit by Kamikaze's. One was quoted as saying "if one of those B*****ds hit our carriers they are out of action and have to return to Pearl Harbour for repairs , hit a Limey carrier and it all hands man the brooms and they are back operational 30 minutes later !!! "

Our armoured carriers were perfect for the war they were designed to fight in Europe just not up to the task of being modified for the bigger faster aircraft post war ( apart from the Victorious that is ).
Davie Tait,
Scotland

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2008, 11:14:18 pm »

Saw both - wasn't it the JETstream? What always strikes me about film of the USN in the pacific is how much fire they put up against the Kamikazes. The gunners really did try hard when they knew the other bloke wasn't going to stop. (Having great trouble typing this - large moggy nesting on keyboard!

grasshopper

• Full Mayhemer
    • A1 Hobbies Ltd.
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2008, 11:49:44 pm »

bigfella, 

they must be brave - even if (in our opinion) it's for the wrong reasons , they're doing what they truly believe in - and it's a frightening thought that anyone could be that dedicated to give their life for the mere promise of a better life in another time or space -

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2008, 11:54:27 pm »

they must be brave - even if (in our opinion) it's for the wrong reasons , they're doing what they truly believe in - and it's a frightening thought that anyone could be that dedicated to give their life for the mere promise of a better life in another time or space 

Not necessarily. Young people can be susceptible to idealistic suggestion and effectively manipulated by their elders who tend not to put themselves into the line of fire. In Kipling's words: "If any question why we died/Tell them, because our fathers lied."

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: TV - The Jet stream & Me - Day of the Kamikaze
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2008, 01:03:20 am »

I think your right! - Topic name changed.

Saw both - wasn't it the JETstream? What always strikes me about film of the USN in the pacific is how much fire they put up against the Kamikazes. The gunners really did try hard when they knew the other bloke wasn't going to stop. (Having great trouble typing this - large moggy nesting on keyboard!
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

bigfella

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2008, 07:54:28 am »

bigfella, 

they must be brave - even if (in our opinion) it's for the wrong reasons , they're doing what they truly believe in - and it's a frightening thought that anyone could be that dedicated to give their life for the mere promise of a better life in another time or space -

They like the terrorists today are brainwashed that they will be rewarded if they give their lives and take the enemy with them. To be promised great riches or queue jumping into paradise, that is not brave. To be brave is to do something courageous with out the promise of great things in return. Your average soldier is braver as he expects nothing in return except hopefully coming back alive.

Colin H

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2008, 04:25:48 pm »

Hear Hear Bigfella, nail on the head comes to mind.

Colin H.
do every thing today tomorrow may not arrive.

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2008, 12:37:02 am »

Remember Manchester Hill - to be held to the last man. No paradise, no virgins - just duty.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 22 queries.