Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Childhood Fears  (Read 2203 times)

bigfella

Childhood Fears
« on: February 29, 2008, 08:16:54 am »

Hi All

I have just been watching a DVD of Dr Who and it was John Pertwee as the Dr. This brought about a memory of when I was a kid. The family always watched it religiously when it first came out I think it might have been a Saturday night that it aired. I recall the episodes when the plastic men terrorised Earth and one of the scenes was when all the shop mannequins in the stores came to life an started to run down the streets. Their fingers reveled a gun barrel and started shooting shoppers.

As a child my mother would have to drag me into department stores as I was terrified of the shop mannequins coming to life. I still take a double look at mannequins.

Regards David

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Childhood Fears
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 10:46:42 am »

As soon as I saw the topic i thought of Daleks,

And thanks for reminding my about the Cybermen.

BTW as a kid of about 5 I did write in and complain about that episode you mentioned, or one of the episodes in tht series.
The episonde where the Cybermen themselves walk the streets of London. The Cybermen were wearing silver suits (OK), and silver boots, but they had boot laces (angry kid feels space men won't have shoe laces).

As you may have guesses I was a precocious sod.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

BobF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 11:46:06 am »

Hi all

Slightly off topic which appears to be going down the Dr Who trail.

When I was a kid, I was afraid of growing up.

But  obviously this was an irrational fear, as I never have.

Bob

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 11:47:48 am »

Radio was scarier.  
The pictures were all inside your head, and no wobbly sets to give the game away.  
I well remember "The Day of the Triffids" on steam wireless.  You had to listen to that from behind the sofa.  
And "Journey into Space"  That Whittaker character with his snappily humorous catch phrase "Orders are orders and must be obeyed at all times without question" delivered as one long monotone word.  I still think about him every time I see a traffic warden.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 11:51:19 am »

The wooden spoon - dispensed by Ma

The switch - dispensed by Pa
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

bigfella

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 12:25:43 pm »

All childhood fears are welcome. Dr Who was pretty scary for a little kid. Even though the sets were made of cardboard and the music was a bit naf.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 12:35:53 pm »

Quatermass and the Pit - the original  :o :o

Made it to 80 (25p Richer now)

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 01:59:27 pm »

doodle bugs and V2 rockets
I'm not old I'm mature middle aged

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2008, 04:59:56 pm »

Radio was scarier.  
The pictures were all inside your head, and no wobbly sets to give the game away.  
I well remember "The Day of the Triffids" on steam wireless.  You had to listen to that from behind the sofa.  
And "Journey into Space"  That Whittaker character with his snappily humorous catch phrase "Orders are orders and must be obeyed at all times without question" delivered as one long monotone word.  I still think about him every time I see a traffic warden.
Should have listened to the "Goon Show" and really let the imagination rip!
Notes from a simple seaman

Roger in France

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2008, 07:12:40 am »

My childhood fear was falling while flying.

You see I lived in a flat at the top of a long, steep flight of stairs and had this conviction I could fly. Taking off from the top step was easy, it was the falling that hurt.

I attempted it several times before the message sank in!

The other thing I feared was my Dad's khaki uniform. When he came home and hugged me it was like being sandpapered!

Roger in France.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2008, 11:09:25 am »

Should have listened to the "Goon Show" and really let the imagination rip!

"Send a gunboat!"

"Its an oasis.  There isn't room for it"

"Stand it on one end"

And who could ever remain unmoved by "Slow down Henry.  We're doing three miles an hour"

But this was about childhood fears.  Possibly Bluebottle being perpetually blowedid up should have been scary, but he always made a full recovery, or at least, a re-appearance.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2008, 05:18:38 pm »

As child, did you ever go to bed and once in a while get the ebe jeebies about some kind of horrific monster which might be lurking underneath the bed? I did on occasion and can remember trying make sure i didn't hang my foot or an arm out of the side in case it grabbed me. I was also too scared to look in case it really was there! Sad or wot!
I do remember, in recent years, seeing a cartoon in book depicting a terrified child, in bed, rigid with fear and sweating because there, underneath his bed was a real hairy monster with huge knashers, waiting for the moment his arm or leg hung out the side. It made me smile for a long time afterwards.

bigfella

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2008, 10:55:56 pm »

My monster was not under the bed but in my bedroom cupboard that seemed to have no end. It was a fitted wardrobe however the inside back wall must have been broken or missing and it exposed the internal wall cavity. A bit scary when your older sister would read you bed time stories (a chapter a night) and at the time it was "The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe" :o :o :o

Regards David
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 23 queries.