Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Extreme Weathering  (Read 8713 times)

barryfoote

Re: Extreme Weathering
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2008, 08:38:46 am »

That's not weathering......It's criminal neglect... :police:

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2008, 01:48:30 pm »

Unfortunately type XXI's did not appear until the last couple of months of the war, just as well for us, so they never had the chance to get into the state shown there. 

Much as I think the rust effects are very realistic I think they are a bit inappropriate on this particular sub and I think even on a variant that had completed the whole duration of the war this level of weathering is over the top, unless someone knows of a particular boat that did get into this state ::)

To me this is a classic example of the biggest pitfall with weathering, overdoing it!!
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

Guy Bagley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2008, 04:47:03 pm »

i agree bunk, as we have said on this and other forums....

' less is more'
all in all its just another brick in the wall......

das boot

« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2008, 06:05:21 pm »

I disagree…most late war U-boats (of all classes) were hardly finished when they were pressed into service, some never saw a coat of paint in their short lives, nor anti-fouling of any type and some never even got as far as modifications or upgrades, or any maintenance whatsoever.

These boats were practically thrown in the sea as the last nuts and bolts were being tightened up, a crew then hastily assembled, and then sent out to meet their fate, whatever it may have been. They would but very rarely have ever seen a dockyard again, and due to this poor maintenance programme, it’s extremely likely that the rust and the look of disrepair would soon have taken a firm hold on these vessels.

I would hazard a guess and say that the U-boat in the pictures is probably not that far out in it’s depicted colour scheme of rust, dents and general state of crappiness.

Rich

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2008, 07:12:02 pm »

In my wealth of U-boat archives I do not have a picture of a type XXI in anything like this sort of conditon, maintenance scheme or otherwise, however if anyone can produce such a picture I would be happy to adjust my opinion.  Meanwhile I shall continue to consider it as excessively and unrealistically weathered.

"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

TugCowboy

« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2008, 07:27:22 pm »

Then again, who cares? I mean really, modeling is all down to personal preference anyway isn't it, otherwise everyone would turn up at the lake with the same boats, same kit, all looking exactly the same.
No need to term something wrong just because you don't like it.

I'm sure we all have boats that aren't 100% historically and aesthetically correct. But we still enjoy them don't we?

Alex

das boot

« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2008, 08:07:05 pm »

"In my wealth of U-boat archives"

You don't happen to have any pics of U-Flak 1 (U-441) in amongst your archives do you, BB? I'm not having much success in finding decent images of her.

Cheers,

Rich

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2008, 11:00:36 pm »

"In my wealth of U-boat archives"

You don't happen to have any pics of U-Flak 1 (U-441) in amongst your archives do you, BB? I'm not having much success in finding decent images of her.

Cheers,

Rich

No, I've got about four copies of the same picture in different books and that is the same one shown on the u-boat.net site.  It only shows the tower I'm afraid but being a type VII I guess the rest of the hull wasn't unusual.

This is the picture:

http://uboat.net/boats/u441.htm

das boot

« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2008, 05:54:34 pm »

Thanks for looking BB...there seems to be an acute shortage of material on the U-Flak boats. I have a few pics of the conning tower, but nothing really showing much detail. As far as I can find out, the hull was left alone, just a bit of strengthening under the areas where the extra firepower was added.

Chhers,

Rich

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2008, 06:05:12 pm »

u33, why have you put a pic of a rusty old hulk up?

seriously, with the right surroundings that could easily fool a few people.
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

garston1

« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2008, 11:27:08 pm »

A pic of my rusty old drifter

TugCowboy

« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2008, 09:44:22 am »

Beautiful, Garston!
Any chance we could see some more, larger pics?

Alex

garston1

« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2008, 03:36:08 pm »

Coming up

kno3

« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2008, 04:41:15 pm »

Beautiful drifter!

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2008, 05:30:46 pm »

A superb weathering job and a very realistic vessel to show for it.

garston1

« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2008, 06:02:54 pm »

Awww stop it, your embarrassing me, oh go on then. Everywhere i go the drifter goes with me, we've been to a few club Lakes for a sail and it always seem to draw a small crowd 
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 22 queries.