Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: new member needs advice  (Read 2213 times)

warpspawn

new member needs advice
« on: March 06, 2008, 02:08:45 am »

hi people, have been reading your posts with intrest and find myself up a creek with no rudder
which would be the better solution 1 rudder in the middle or 2 rudders behind the props,
i was recently given a twin prop cat speed boat hull, there was nothing in it except the props, mounts and clear plastic water cooling pipes and a lot of holes where every thing else had been screwed down.
i have been told that it was fitted with twin 550's and was steered using the props, i have replaced the 550's and i am working on the cooling, but i need to pick someone's brains concerning rudders as i don't really like prop steering.
i have designed and build a twin rudder and a linkage that seems to work ( at least the prototype model did) and can run 2 rudders from 1 servo.
any advice would be gratefully received.
Ian

john54

Re: new member needs advice
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 04:47:01 am »

Hi and welcome.
Cant see any reason why not to if the servo is strong.
I had a 34 in pilot boat with 2 rudders & a pt 109 with 3 rudders both just useing 1 servo (on each boat!) with no worrys.
Just make sure theres no binding on full lock & the links are good.
Hope this helps.

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 08:03:07 am »

Rudders mounted directly in the wash from the props are always more effective than those fitted elsewhere. Most twin-screw work-boat models have two rudders working from the one servo - PM me for a sketch of a linkage if you need one.
Of course, you could always use rudders AND a mixer on the motors....... ;) For more info, go to the main Mayhem website and follow the link under Electric Motors to find my scribblings on the matter.
FLJ

Stavros

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 09:25:58 pm »

Can fully RECCOMEND ACTION products for ESC and get a mixer forget about rudders they WORK no probs at all.I have no connection with Action just a VERY SATISFIED  customer

Stavros

warpspawn

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 03:00:09 am »

many thanks everyone for the advice.
i am plugging away at this build and trying to be a economic as possible (the wife does not want me to spend lots of money, none if poss) so i have to build most of the parts from scratch or recycled materials.
at the moment the rudder brackets are from stainless steel hoover pipe, the linkages are Ali bike spokes and the connections are from an old computer chassis.
i think that the rudders will be trimmed Ali coat pegs the flat kind or a letter box flap.
but if i can get thin brass i may have to rebuild because it's got to look good as well as not be too heavy.

Ian

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 12:05:43 pm »

Tiller arms can be rescued from old style 13 amp plugs.  Just a bit of filing and drilling needed.  Not tried dismembering a new (safety) type yet.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

warpspawn

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 10:57:10 pm »

Tiller arms can be rescued from old style 13 amp plugs.  Just a bit of filing and drilling needed.  Not tried dismembering a new (safety) type yet.
thanks for that idea did not think of them, but have been thinking on brass supply and came up with idea for a supply of sheet brass in large sheets, door kick strips from office doors and palm plates also from office buildings, nice flat fields of brass, just got to find empty office building now.
Thanks again
Ian

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2008, 12:12:00 pm »

Good thinking, Ian.  Just watch out for brass-plated steel.
Other electrical fittings yield a good crop of lumps of brass with a through hole plus a threaded hole with a brass screw, all ready machined.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 22 queries.