Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Royal Arctic Lines - Ice class container ships  (Read 1966 times)

Red_Hamish

• Full Mayhemer
  • Have a wee dram and enjoy life
    • Edinburgh Model Boat Club
Royal Arctic Lines - Ice class container ships
« on: March 07, 2008, 10:13:01 pm »

Hello all, I was inrigued last Saturday as I viewed one of the Royal Arctic Ice Class Container ships pass the Roost off of Sumburgh Head. This is a very treacherous  and rough piece of water especially during the storms at the time. Unfortuantely the light was poor and I did not get any photos of the ship. I thought it a particularly attractive vessel as you can see by the link http://www.ral.gl/ral/udvikling/prl.nsf/e8f78f48cf4c72fa8525645100535f5f/d5a3fb356470a03883256e7d0048abca/$FILE/Particulars_Naja_Arctica.pdf
Now to the question... Do you think it feasible to construct one like this in 1/32 scale I think it'd be a great size and an imposing sight with a couple of attendant tugs.

Your thoughts please

cheers

Jim 
Visit www.paddleducks.co.uk & www.edinburghmodelboatclub.org.uk for all your model boating needs!
See what life is all about www.visitshetland.com/sumburgh-airport-live-video This is the pace of life that the doctors prescribe, so laid back that you

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Royal Arctic Lines - Ice class container ships
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 10:00:30 am »

Jim,

I don't know about a 1/32nd model, beyond me for sure, but I am pretty certain that there is a card model of this available. My friend has made it. It came from Marcle models. It may help in designing a bigger version. It certainly looked impressive with a full load of containers - the model that is. Let me know if you want more details.

Barrie

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008, 10:24:16 am »

Here's a Picture of her. That will be a challenge to build.  ;)

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Red_Hamish

• Full Mayhemer
  • Have a wee dram and enjoy life
    • Edinburgh Model Boat Club
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008, 09:31:08 pm »

Hello all, well I think I've managed to stir some interest in these ships  O0
BarrieW, thanks for the lead on Marcle I'll be looking out for this one for research purposes.
Tug-Kenny, thanks for the picture. It is rather inspiring don't you think? Unfortunately this one is the older of the class built in 1984 and remodelled n 1994. The sister ships Naja Arctica and Nuka Arctica were built in 1997 and have a much more streamlined superstructure. Trying to find a decent pic which shows the aft in a better way is proving more difficult than I anticipated. I will post them here when I discover them.

cheers

Jim
Visit www.paddleducks.co.uk & www.edinburghmodelboatclub.org.uk for all your model boating needs!
See what life is all about www.visitshetland.com/sumburgh-airport-live-video This is the pace of life that the doctors prescribe, so laid back that you
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 21 queries.