Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Small bench circular saw  (Read 27167 times)

grantl

Re: Small bench circular saw
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2008, 01:08:38 pm »

I'm not sure there is much point, but since someone raised the idea I think it's interesting to ponder.
Perhaps it would give you a more compact solution, space is an issue for some people?
Maybe it's just fun to think about. Why build a boat when you can buy an RTR cheaply?

The speed thing is interesting, my table saw is definitely 5,000rpm vs 3000rpm for the tile cutter.
Makes me wonder if there are different speed ratings for different saw blades (probably by size, lower for bigger blades) and what ratings my ad-hoc collection have.
But anyway, there are enough other issues to make it a potentially poor idea. (The endfloat of the motor is an unknown and there's no riving knife for starters)

Regards,

Grant.

andygh

« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2008, 07:47:58 pm »

Why build a boat when you can buy an RTR cheaply

Well I suppose that homemade models are better than cheap RTR, at least I hope so  :-\

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2008, 12:22:18 am »

Why build a boat when you can buy an RTR cheaply

Well I suppose that homemade models are better than cheap RTR, at least I hope so  :-\

And they don't do the kind of models I am interested in as RTR.
Plus I get a kick out of trying to make stuff.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

pomybill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2008, 11:12:57 pm »

I have beside me a catalogue that came with one of my model mags and it is from  "Expo drills and tools.
I am in Aussie but the agent here is a treasure.

They have the same type Small bench saw and the jigsaw as the old mintools suplied.

Their web address is :-   www.expotools.com
They have a verylarge catalogue but I only have the short version but it is full of goodies. One day I will get round to obtaining the full one!!!
Hope this is of some use.
pomybill.

Popeye

• Full Mayhemer
  • I see no ships!
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2008, 11:25:44 am »

Many thanks to those kind folk who responded to my enquiry.

Having researched the Market I came to the conclusion that the ideal gadget for my needs is the PROXXON KS230 mini mini bench circular saw -   so I've ordered one and am currently awaiting delivery.

I'll give feedback on its performance once it's up and running.  :angel:

In the meantime,

Thanx and regards

Popeye
Confucius he say, 'if all else fails.......reach for the  Red Top-Stop'.

Don

« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2008, 08:56:48 pm »

Bradley

« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2008, 10:03:51 pm »

A cheap table/circular saw I came across whilst searching Google is a Nutool make at £29.95 (down from £39.95) from www.diytools.co.uk.  I have not yet learnt how to download a link onto the forum but if you go to their website and put 'table saw' into the search you will find it.  O0
Derek.   :police:

grasshopper

• Full Mayhemer
    • A1 Hobbies Ltd.
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2008, 10:28:33 pm »

is this the one?

http://www.diytools.co.uk/diy/Main/sp-1-1-36638-nutool-ntbc600-600w-table-saw.asp?sQuery=table%20saw

To get the link, go to the page /item you want highlight the internet address, press CTRL and C this copies to your clipboard, then in your reply box CTRL and V should paste it - that's how I do it and I'm a computer numpty!

Bradley

« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2008, 10:59:55 pm »

Yep, that's the one and thanks for the computer 'lesson'.   O0  My computer skills are all self taught and I am still learning.   :)
Derek.   :police:

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2008, 11:45:42 pm »

Was pondering a bench circular saw while trying to make a stand for the Envoy today!

Some interesting suggestions here although I tend to think you get what you pay for (no disrespect folks!) and going cheapo usually means it only lasts a few goes (well, for me anyway).

B&Q do this one for a shade under £140. OK its not a 'hobby' table saw but it is multi purpose. http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=9376545&fh_view_size=6&fh_eds=%3f&fh_location=%2f%2fcatalog01%2fen_GB%2fcategories%3c%7b10082%7d%2fcategories%3c%7b10084%7d%2fcategories%3c%7b9181021%7d%2fspecificationsProductType%3dTable+Saws&fh_search=table+circular+saw&fh_refview=search&ts=1214087626434&isSearch=false

EDIT. As an alternative, Lawsons do this 10" table for £107.

http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/scripts/details.php?cat=Table%20Saws&product=1283

Popeye

• Full Mayhemer
  • I see no ships!
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2008, 05:41:59 pm »

Many thanks to those kind folk who responded to my enquiry.

Having researched the Market I came to the conclusion that the ideal gadget for my needs is the PROXXON KS230 mini mini bench circular saw -   so I've ordered one and am currently awaiting delivery.

I'll give feedback on its performance once it's up and running.  :angel:

In the meantime,

Thanx and regards

Popeye

My Proxxon KS230 is now in regular use and is one of the best purchases I've made in the interests of my hobby - my only regret is that I didn't buy one long ago.

It does all that I want it to and gives a very clean cut  with no feathering of the cut edges. Its rated maximum depth of cut  is 8mm  but copes well with thicker material - if treated gently and not permitted to overheat - by the simple expedient of turning the material onto its other side and cutting through in the same position as the first cut. Reducing stripwood to smaller widths is easy peasy and fast also , a feature which is particularly useful in respect of my current newbuild which requires stripwood of various dimensions which I can't easily acquire from my usual sources. I have NOT tried the saw on metal though I have no doubt that it will cope handsomely provided it's used in accordance with Proxxon's instructions.

Conclusion: well worth the money and will become an essential workshop tool - get the spouse (or partner  - for the PC brigade) to buy you one for Chrimbo or your birthday

Popeye O0

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2008, 09:49:30 am »

This sound ideal for my forthcoming project, where did you order it from ?
Steamed up all the time

Guy Bagley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2008, 11:56:55 am »

AXMINSTER POWER TOOLS STOCK THEM, AND OFFER A GOOD MAIL ORDER SERVICE.... PLUS I HAVE IN THE PAST MANAGED TO GET A HALF DECENT DISCOUNT TOO !
all in all its just another brick in the wall......

Roger in France

« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2008, 11:58:03 am »

STEAMBOATPHIL;

I buy all my Proxxon tools from

www.letrainmagique.com

This is an outfit in Strasbourg, France. Their prices are hard to beat. however, I am in France and so delivery is less of a problem and not as costly as it would be to GB. May be worth a try.

I think the guy speaks some English although I have never spoken with him as I make purchases in french, by Internet.

Roger in France.

Popeye

• Full Mayhemer
  • I see no ships!
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2008, 12:12:47 pm »

This sound ideal for my forthcoming project, where did you order it from ?

Order on-line from diytools.co.uk at £71.95 inc VAT. Very fast service.

Good luck steamboatphil and all others who are considering a new acquisition  for the workbench.

Popeye O0

Umi_Ryuzuki

« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2008, 06:24:48 pm »

I have heard of people that tried to use the tile saw, and were less than satisfied with the results. :embarrassed:

I have the MicroMark version, in the USA, of the Proxxon 38070-Table-saw-FKS-E pictured earlier.
It has several blades for different types of cutting. It cuts up to about 25mm thick if necessary and
has an optional metered fence that will vary the cut by .001 thickness. One of the best investments I
ever made...

http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares.asp?MerchantID=RET01229&Action=Catalog&Type=Product&ID=80463

Some of the other "shelf Queen" builders like the Byrnes table saw.
The gentlman hand manuctures table saws per order. If I had to buy a first table saw again,
the MicroMark/Proxxon would be excellent. But the Byrnes would be the one I buy next.

http://www.byrnesmodelmachines.com/tablesaw.html?id_mm=0623MM783529

nhp651

« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2008, 08:07:36 pm »

on the subject of small bench saws, my personal choice would be the Dewalt DW 744 10 inch saw......
In this country it costs £635.00 plus Vat (£746.13p)
However exactly the same saw in the USA costs $505.(dollars) roughly £250.00. on top of that price is 1.7% import tax plus shipping over here. then VAT is added to the total........a considerable difference to the UK price if one can find a shipping agent to bring one in in a bulk shipment of items.
the question is Does anyone know anyone who regularly brings bulk shipments into thei country who could ship one in for me at reasonable costs.
cheers,neil.

nhp651

« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2008, 10:27:10 am »

further to the above post, I have just bought one of the dewalt saws on ebay for a rediculously low price, so will tell you how it works when i get my grubby little mits on it. :o

tomocj

« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2009, 01:50:26 pm »

Santa bought me the Proxon maximum cut 12 mm,its great ive been cutting things just for the sake of using it.
chris

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the best model boat site
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2009, 05:30:00 pm »

You could cut all my millions of planks to the correct size 4 me. l.o.l. (see thread Jigs for planking)

Serious note it seems to pop up all the time this saw so it must be good.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.