Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tasmanian Trading Ketch 'Lialeeta'  (Read 21434 times)

Glen Howard

Re: Tasmanian Trading Ketch 'Lialeeta'
« Reply #50 on: April 24, 2009, 12:49:37 pm »

The last thing I have for show and tell tonight is this suit of sails, lovingly hand made by my friend Ally from homespun cotton. These look terrific, as you can see, and the cotton will hang very nicely when they are bent on. She has gone to some trouble to replicate the seams on each sail, which sets them off nicely, and I know will look very authentic on the water.

Now it’s over to old fat-fingers himself (me) to sew on bolt rope and fix eyelets. I have started working on rigging up the masts, though I have yet to start gaffs and booms – that’s next.

Getting close to launch day now, methinks. I originally estimated this was an 18 month  build, and if I can get on the water by June that will have been a very accurate guess.

You may now consider yourself up to date on Lialeeta!

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #51 on: April 24, 2009, 02:45:37 pm »

She is coming along really nicely.

What will you be dressing your sails with?
I got some nikwax cotton waterproofer, made for cotton clothing. As recomended by others. I am nowhere near sails for mine yet, and so can only pass on the advice givem to me, but not verify it.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

andrewh

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: April 28, 2009, 12:46:15 pm »

Glen,

Coming along wonderfully :-))
Boat and sails look spot on for both appearance and sailability
Please cherish your friend Ally - there is a second career there if she chose :}

Anent bolt ropes - there is a lazy effort-economic method which affixes the bolt rope with PVA glue, lets dry, then does the oversewing with the sail and rope in the correct relationship (thus needing only 3 or 4 hands).  My version of this would be to run a fine bead of PVA on the sail, let dry completely then iron on the B rope - all the PVA, aliphatic goos are thermoplastic.

This probably too late - you will have progressed a lot in the cold, dark antipodean winter and be sailing her before posting the pics.

rgds,

andrew

Glen Howard

« Reply #53 on: April 28, 2009, 01:06:30 pm »

Andrew - It's as though I was channeling you through the aura of the universe. In fact I conducted some scientifical experimentationisms vis-a-vis the relationship between PVA and bolt rope and discovered that they get on very well indeed. In point of fact I was not able to seperate them once they were dried. Sewing? Pffft. I have already glued my bolt ropes on, not sure I see the need for sewing too. Seems unnecessary and superfluous.

And one day, a long long long time from now, I may be able to bring myself to tell you about how I glued the bolt rope to some sails on the correct (ie. left) side, and some on the incorrect (ie. right) side. One day. Not today though, because I'm not really ready yet to face up to such a stupid and careless error which was entirely due to me watching the telly while I did the glueing.  <:(

I forgot to mention that I have fixed up the other unmentionable (the unsightly countersunk screws on the deck). I removed them, tarted up the mess with some matched colour putty, and replaced them with brass screws as you suggested, vast improvement. So the universe is in balance after all.

And to Mark's question about waterproofing - I found a rather neat looking silicone based product that the kindly old ladies at the haberdashery thought would do the trick: http://www.selleys.com.au/Selleys-Watershield/default.aspx I will let you know how that goes too.

andrewh

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: April 28, 2009, 01:44:43 pm »

Glen,
I think you must be a happy medium, but you probably knew I woud say that

Andrew -
Seems unnecessary and superfluous.

Yes, he does. 
I think I have told you before about stamping out and abolishing redundancy :D
(and avoiding cliches like the plague)

Glen, Glen. 
Since we don't yet know about your glueing the bolt rope we don't have to point out that we (poor) men are one-thought-at-a-time animals and can't multi-task as we govern the universe

PVA will not hold forever - a bit of lazy couching (technical term, but can reflect a lifestyle too) will ensure they stay together

andrew

Glen Howard

« Reply #55 on: April 29, 2009, 02:00:55 am »

Ok, Ok, I'll sew them on too, jeez, I knew you'd have me in stitches (did I really write that?).

Only a true pedant would have picked up that intentional redundancy. I therefore think your temperament is perfectly suited to model building.

RC Sailboat Guide

« Reply #56 on: May 01, 2009, 01:41:11 pm »

Wow, she looks great. Basically from around the corner (I live in Sydney).

Really looking forward to see some pictures of her in action  :-))

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: May 04, 2009, 04:21:35 am »

A question about PVA for B ropes.

Would any dye, or dressing affect the PVAs stickablitly.

I assume the PVA might affect the take of dye or dressing.

I am thinking about the order to do these tasks in, or am I worrying about nothink

Glen Howard

« Reply #58 on: May 04, 2009, 09:42:56 am »

Hi RC Sailboat Guide, and welcome. Assuming she doesn't turn turtle or head for the bottom (big assumption, btw), I am looking forward to seeing her in action too. Might be as early as June, our winter (though winter is a a lot easier in Brissie than it is in Sydney).

I'm afraid I don't have an answer on TT's question. I've not been dying the B ropes - though I don't imagine that dye would affect the gluing qualities of the PVA...?

For shrouds and stays I am using something called black hat elastic. It is thicker than the shirring elastic some people use, and much easier to use. I sew 'splices' in cotton, wrapping really well so the join is bound up good and tight, a drop of cyano, and when dry I finish it with black heat shrink. Will post some detail pics in time, but looks good to me.

I'd be interested in hearing if anyone has experience of the long term performance of hat elastic. my fear is it will lose much tension after repeated wetting and drying. If I had to replace it every two years I could probably live with it. But if I had to tie new standing rigging every week or two...

andrewh

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: May 04, 2009, 12:40:57 pm »

TT,

No, you are not worryink about nohtink and Timing, as ever is crucial
Dyes and stains generally are absorbed into (sometimes onto) a material and then behave as part of the material - ie when it is dry you can do anything to it that you could before it was dyed/stained

Glues, including PVA and cyano will seal the surface of the base material, and prevent any dye or stain later applied from "taking" to the base material - if you have ever planked a hull then stained it you will have seen the effect :}

So always dye before gluing

Glen
Hat elastic for shrouds and stays?  Are they non-functional - ie not holding up the mast?
Basic answer on life is that it depends on the specific rubber they are made with  - if it is natural rubber (normal and best) then probably two summers.
Natural can't stand light, ozone or temperature and will crack then "revert" when it has had enough.
To find out remove some of the covering - you will prolly find several strands of round white elastic (rubber). 
Hold one in a flame briefly - does it smell like burning rubber?
Try stretching one - natural CAN reach 7 or 800% stretch and will go "solid" as it reaches the end (this is "crystallisation")

Dunno if this helps you, but you will get some funny looks, especially if your lady wife is wearing the hat at the time
andrew

Don't evan ask about any other clothing elastic >:-o

Glen Howard

« Reply #60 on: June 16, 2009, 11:52:35 am »

Hello all - just the quickest of quick updates to show you a photo of Lialeeta parading some of her new sails. I'd have to say I'm pretty happy with how she looks on the water. As to whether she'll sail well, that remains to be seen. Though I can tell you that there is far too much keel and not nearly enough rudder!

More detailed descriptions and pics in the fullness of time.

andrewh

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: June 16, 2009, 12:47:45 pm »

Glen,

The timer was just coming up to "ping Glen" time

Looks lovely, break out champagne, share among adults present and pat self on back :}

She has a good sit on the water, and a neat understated, working colour scheme.
Beaut, mate
andrew

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: June 17, 2009, 03:04:39 am »

Looking great Glen

How is the new shipmate by the way?

Glen Howard

« Reply #63 on: June 25, 2009, 12:20:12 am »

He's growing big and strong thanks Mark, we'll have him in the maintop as a foremast jack before his first birthday, the way he's going.

Lialeeta is progressing, last night I fitted the mizzen sail, and it sits very nicely. Should get the mizzen topsail on this week too. (sails - tedious work or what?)

I have also been extending the rudder this week, as the little time on the water she's had already revealed a worrying disinclination to answer the helm - it was a problem I had anticipated. I'm also going to cut some bulk out of the keel to help on that score too, hopefully that will do the trick.

The last thing on my list (!) is to sort out the running rigging. I have the main and mizzen under control, they will work fine just winding on and off the winch (touch wood). But I haven't yet properly solved the problem of the foresails. I was advised by a club member to cut one out and just have two foresails for simplicity, but I wanted to retain the authentic look of the ketch. So I can either have them non-adjustable on a fixed length of sheet, or I can find a way to run them off the winch too. I'll be hitting the forum and books and the web for ideas.

Stay tuned for a solution...

More pics in due course.

andrewh

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: June 25, 2009, 03:32:44 am »

Glen

Don't forget one of the cardinal rules of scientific modelling - change only 14 variables at a time :}

Suggest you give the rudder some more bite before doing owt else.  Looking at your sailing pic  - extend downward if at all possible, aft if it isn't

Glad your new offspring is making progress.  My smallest I used to refer to as my 1/4 scale model but at 14 he is now a 6/5 stand-way-off scale model of the same subject.
looking forward to seeing the fully rigged pics on the water and hearing the whoops of pleasure when she performs

andrew

Glen Howard

« Reply #65 on: July 23, 2009, 12:01:26 pm »

I have a confession to make - I am being a terrible coward aout getting Lialeeta on the water for a sail.

She's finished (insofar as a model boat ever is, anyway...), all is in working order, yet I cannot bring myself to take her for her sea trials to the club where there will be way too much pressure. So I am screwing up my courage and will take her to a nice private dam on my father-in-law's property, where sinking and other performance shortfalls can be dealt with in peace. Weekend after this is pencilled in, watch this space.

But I get ahead of myself. I just wanted to post a few photos for you. I have to say I am very pleased with the way she has come out aesthetically, though a little rough her and there.

Let's start with the new rudder, which I extended by bolting 1mm styrene pieces on either side of the old rudder. Before and after pics for comparison.

Glen Howard

« Reply #66 on: July 23, 2009, 12:09:36 pm »

Ok, next things next - the running rigging.

Sssshh - don't tell my daughter, but her dacron kite line got mysteriously about ten metres shorter during the installation of running rigging. I thought if it can handle the strain of a kite, it will have no trouble with my sails.

I have all 5 controlled sails running off a single drum winch. It is a bit ambitious I suppose, but I reasoned it can always be undone if things don't work out. Lines are run along the deck via screw eyes, and fishing tackle is used for attaching lines to sails (remembering that she has to be able to be de-rigged for transporting). I actually tested the sails in the garage with the fan going full pelt, and it seems to work as planned...

Anyway as ever pictures tell the story.

Glen Howard

« Reply #67 on: July 23, 2009, 12:16:17 pm »

And lastly a few photos of some detail for you. I am particularly pleased with the way the anchors came out, as I was almost not going to use them, but they do add something. Don't look too hard for a winch or a chain locker / hatch though.

I included the transmitter for scale.

Next time you hear from me - what will probably be 'the last post' so to speak - I sincerely hope to have tales of sailing glory to share.

Glen Howard

« Reply #68 on: July 23, 2009, 12:20:25 pm »

(Couple more for good measure)

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #69 on: July 23, 2009, 12:34:33 pm »

Hi Glen

Great to see the finished product.
It will be good to see pics of the maiden voyae as well, so don't forget the camera  :-))

Mark

kiwi

« Reply #70 on: July 23, 2009, 08:12:03 pm »

Hi,
A good honest working boat, very well done.
Excellent build
vnkiwi

andrewh

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #71 on: July 24, 2009, 01:09:39 pm »

Lovely job, Glen

Glad to see her well rigged and clearly raring to sail.
I'm not ENTIRELY sure why you have stowed your sandwiches in the hull but there is an awful lot of Oz culture that we never fully grok.

We look forward to the sailing pics.
No pressure,mate;  but when you have her well tuned how about a crossing of the Tasman sea?

My Presto and her new-found (italian) mate

andrew

Glen Howard

« Reply #72 on: August 09, 2009, 12:55:06 pm »

Well today was the day I finally got Lialeeta out for a sail. Yesterday I went for a joy flight in a Tiger Moth - I would say I was infinitely more nervous about launching the ketch than I was about taking the flight in a plane made of linen and sticks.

What words have I to describe the mighty swelling in my heart as the sails filled for the first time and Lialeeta glided off across the dam?

Her helm answered well enough with the new rudder extension (though I still may knock some bulk out of that keel one day), and she stayed trim and stable, and righted very well indeed. Unfortunately there was practically no breeze to be had (though it was blowing a tearing gale for the flight in the Moth on Saturday, of course), yet I was able to get her to turn her nose through the wind tacking on a few occasions, which was very satisfying indeed. When the breeze did blow she ran downwind pretty briskly, and came pleasingly close to the wind coming back the other way.

Can't wait to get out again - in the public gaze this time - and continue the true pleasure of learning how to sail. I know Lialeeta is going to give me many happy hours and years of sailing.

Thanks to everyone on this forum who gave me so much advice and support during this project - I was challenged by the complexity of the build, and nearly packed it in a few times, which only made today that much more satisfying. Even so I may be going back to scale electric rather than more scale sail...though after that, who can say? It does get in your blood after a while, doesn't it?

all the best for now,

Glen

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #73 on: August 09, 2009, 01:53:45 pm »

She looks great Glen :}

You have every reason to be well and truly pleased. :} :}

Good 'un. :-))
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 23 queries.