Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone remember how to sharpen a cut throat razor?  (Read 3426 times)

RipSlider

Anyone remember how to sharpen a cut throat razor?
« on: March 09, 2008, 06:40:04 pm »

Hello all.

Where as it is normal for me to look like a bearded ruffian, occasionally Mrs Steve gives me the pointy finger and the "disappointed" look at we all know and fear and I have to get a shave and make myself look respectable.

I have started to use a cut throat razor, as it seems to suit the shape of my odd shaped face more and, seeing as I have not yet managed to cut off any ears or my nose, I guess I have the knack for it.

I have a fairly decent razor, and have been stropping it and had a lovely edge on it, but I left it in a pool of water by accident. I've rescured it and cleaned it up ( dear lord they rust fast!) but the blade, while not being corroded, has significantly lost it's edge.

I've tried stropping it, but it doesn't help.

I'm wondering if anyone can remember what to do in these circumstances? How do you make a blunt cut throat razor sharp again? seeing as no one I know uses one anymore, I thought I would ask on here, as it's the largest group of Over 30's I know.

Many thanks in advance

Steve

chingdevil

Re: Anyone remember how to sharpen a cut throat razor?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 07:02:37 pm »

Steve
Get yourself an oil stone, start nice and gently without oil and when the edge is looking failry good put some light oil on the stone and finish the sharpening. Remember when using a stone, use the same number of strokes on each side if you do not you will get a burr on one side.

Brian

Proteus

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 07:10:44 pm »

get yourself a leather Strop, looks like a strap about  2 1/2" wide and about 2 foot long.

Fredy

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 07:39:21 pm »

Somewhere I have an old "Rolls Razor" that flip-flops to sharpen the blade. (I think it was marketed by a washing macine salesman).
Pay the postage and you can have it for free...unless its worth a fortune!
Notes from a simple seaman

RipSlider

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2008, 08:23:25 pm »

Bryan:

I won't take the Rolls razor off you.... one in about 80% condition with a silver plated case in my local antiques shops is going for £55. A stainless steel one is going for £30. I'd definately keep hold of it.

Chingdevil: Ah ha! Had forgotten you could sharpen then like that. I've got my grandad's Whetstone ( a real one ) in the garage somewhere, I'll have to dig it out.

Incidentally, does anyone know if you can still buy "real" whetstones anymore, rather than those carabundum blocks? My pop used to sharpen chisels on my whetstone and one side is completely wrecked, but they definately are easier to use and give a finer finish than an oil stone.

Proteus: I couldn't find a proper strop anywhere, so I just use the back of my belt.. this should be OK right?

Thanks for the responses guys

Steve

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2008, 08:24:31 pm »

Somewhere I have an old "Rolls Razor" that flip-flops to sharpen the blade. (I think it was marketed by a washing macine salesman).
Pay the postage and you can have it for free...unless its worth a fortune!
Actually started as the Rolls Razor Co of Criclklewood North West London and was very successful.
He then went into cheap washing machines with which he flooded the market, sales dropped and he went bust.
His head office front door was a chrome replica of the Rolls Razor box. O0
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Jonty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2008, 08:38:32 pm »

Razors, apparently are best when not over-used. My father had a set of seven in a nice wooden case with the day of the week engraved on each. He was fearless, used one on a Stratocruiser.
I eat my peas with honey,
I've done it all my life;
It makes the peas taste funny,
But it keeps 'em on the knife.

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble

wbeedie

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2008, 09:46:06 pm »

Sharpening even a knife on a stone/steel as it will wear it down .if you dont have a leather strop try and get a decent bit of  hard wood O and sharpen it that way as we used to do with our gutting knifes at the trawl I still have a knife that I bought 10 years ago and the blade is still grand and holds an edge and I am just the wong side of thirty by two years O0
hope this helps you
Willie

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2008, 12:50:37 am »

Depending on your razor.

If it a failry cheap razor, it will be better to buy a new one. Whestones are expensive.

I am guessing your is faily old, as the rapid ruting suggests a mild steel blade.

The non stailess blades on anythig were great. They sharpen up quickly and easily, they also blunt easy, but are easy to sharpen. unlike stainless.

Enjoy your shaving. O0
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2008, 08:57:22 am »

Or buy a Wilkinson Quatro, they last for ever....nearly

grantl

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2008, 09:16:31 am »

If you go down the stone route you might want to consider a water stone.
They use water instead of oil and come in much finer grades.
You just leave them in a plastic box with water between uses.
The gap in offective grit size between a typical oilstone and a strop is too big.
Often the water stones come double sided, I have a stone with 1000 on one side and 6000 on the other.

Regards,

Grant.

grasshopper

• Full Mayhemer
    • A1 Hobbies Ltd.
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2008, 09:04:04 pm »

Best way to test blade after sharpening - come quietly up behind wife, and draw blade across throa......Coming dear........ you get the idea?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 21 queries.