Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gimee back me stars!  (Read 6372 times)

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
Re: Gimee back me stars!
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2008, 05:44:05 pm »

I don't know about the number of postings there are far more serious issue's like where does Richard find all his little logo thingies.

He seems to have one for every eventuality.

Colin H.

Ditto, I was just going to ask the same thing

Mike
Thats for me to know and you to find out
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

andygh

« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2008, 08:04:26 pm »

The way some of the "experts" on here waffle on about their expertise don't think that would be a fair comparison. I have seen "one liners" on here that have answered a query in a way everyone can understand and I have seen experts who waffle on in tech speak, for paragraph after paragraph and no one knows what the devil they are on about.

I agree wholeheartedly, there's nothing worse than self appointed experts

A forum that I used to be a member of was utterly ruined by members posting inane rubbish & repeating points that others had already made in an effort to earn more "stars", a very useful & informative forum became sickeningly dull due to having to wade through reams of drivel. The new system on this one is a positive change AFAIC

bigfella

« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2008, 08:56:32 pm »

Did I miss the change as I can still see the stars and numbers. Has this happend or is it going to happen? I think, speaking from a new comer to the hobby, that when you receive answers to a question that you have posted it does not matter how it is answered (one word or 1,000 words) and even conflicting answers, you are given options by those that know what they are talking about and those that think they know what they are talking about, it all helps.

Regards David

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Notice: Huge topic shake up on Mayhem!
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2008, 09:17:43 pm »

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

andygh

« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2008, 11:59:00 pm »

it all helps

I agree, up to a point, but when the fourth or fifth reply is an almost exact replica of previous replies I start to question the posters motive. Personally, if i know of a good answer to someones question/problem I will only post it if it has not had an adequate response already

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2008, 12:49:47 am »

I agree, up to a point, but when the fourth or fifth reply is an almost exact replica of previous replies I start to question the posters motive. Personally, if i know of a good answer to someones question/problem I will only post it if it has not had an adequate response already

Another motive with some is having the last word.
If Mr A posts and Mr B disagrees, then sometimes Mr A will repost but try to use an authoratative tone. Tnen Mr B respons again. Until somebody caves in.

Common sense sugests that he who posts last is not always right, nor he who shouts loudest.
I have not seen it happen often here on this site, but I have on others.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

jinks8

« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2008, 01:20:59 am »

I hate the word expert as my old Sargent major use an ex is a has bean and a drip is a spurt under pressure butt their are them that know and them that don't so rank is irrelevant you just do as i tell you lad because i know

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2008, 07:14:17 pm »

Dear All,

After giving this a little thought, I think the action taken in disposing of 'titles' is correct - though I hastily add that I think the concept was a good one for getting Mayhem off the ground. Yes, it was 'nice' to have a 'title' of some kind even though it meant absolutely nothing and was a bit of harmless fun, and by the nature of the Forum and Mayhem in general, I am a touch surprised how this could me missunderstood otherwise - anyway it's irrelevant now.

Personally I definitely don't see the point of keeping the 'star ratings' now as they are completely meaningless; however the part showing the number of posts put up by any individual is pertinent and correctly shows the contribution and participation an individual has made to the Forum/Mayhem... this far more important I feel.

Just my thoughts that's all.

Regards, Bernard

Brian_C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2008, 07:28:00 pm »

well said and thats the end of a pecking order thats not needed on a friendly forum  O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2008, 11:35:33 pm »

I fully agree with the fact there is no need for a rank system.
Is it possible though for new people to the world of model boats to have some way
of identifying this beside their name. So that you know it is possibly someone with
very limited knowledge of model boats that you are explaining too.
this would be a self administered thing that the user can activate/deactivate as they want
and not forced upon them

andygh

« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2008, 01:54:02 am »

They could just tell you?

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2008, 09:36:21 am »

Or use an "L" or new driver plate as an avatar?

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2008, 09:57:34 am »

Dear All,

I think the new ID system is good (except the stars as prev. said), but with a New Member this should show for about 20 or more posts and then switch automatically to Full Member. Most likely Martin has considered this, and probably some such scheme exists already.

Again, I am not knocking the prev. Rank system, I quite liked it, saw no harm in it, and it was definitely a good idea to get Mayhem off the ground. Things move on however, and the popularity of this excellent facility made the old Rank system superfluous.

Regards, Bernard

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2008, 10:58:55 am »

Hi All

Just my 2p

I don't mind either way. Stars, anchors, mines! or maybe nothing.

It's quality not quantity that counts.

Just because a person is new to the forum doesn't necessarily mean they are new to model boats.

If a question is asked any response should be as clear as possible, regardless of the experience/skills of the questioner. We all have blind spots and most will probably need a little help from time to time.

Best wishes to all

Doug
Don't Assume Check

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2008, 06:47:03 pm »

Dear Doug,

I agree with you.

I have just noticed there is indeed a system for Shipmate 0 - 10 posts, and I actually think this is a good idea as it gives a chance for the Forum to ascertain whether the person is 'genuine' or not - 99.99 will be of course, but it just takes .01 to upset things! - albeit temporarily. Still don't see the point of the stars now though.

Re what you said towards the end of your last para., Mayhem has indeed been a very great help to me and the freely offered advice has been extremely useful and much appreciated - I have also done my best to put back in when opportunity has arisen of course... two way street after all.

Regards, Bernard

andygh

« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2008, 08:30:16 pm »

It's quality not quantity that counts.

Spot on  O0

catengineman

« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2008, 03:55:28 pm »

I have not logged on for some time (change in work) so now I log on and there amongst the mayhem of mayhem posts was this one!
I liked to see the stars and that is where my interest ended! as said by previous posters that the amount of stars shown did not always signify the knowledge of the beholder (just like me I think I was an Admrial but truly I'm a novice when it come to models) I have my pref's as to who's advice I would follow and who's I would hold to check back on before use (thats my choice)
Looking around the forum I have no complaints and I can only say to the people who made this forum what it is

THANK YOU

Stars or no stars  every one here is a STAR to me.

R,
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 22 queries.