Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Waterproofing inside and out  (Read 7225 times)

gerrybuilt

Waterproofing inside and out
« on: September 25, 2007, 07:34:35 pm »

I was speaking on the phone to a model boat supplier, he is based in Warrington. I wanted some Graupner Glattfix.
This chap ,Mark, recommended..... wait for it, G4 Pond Sealer He said that Glattfix requires more than one coat but G4 Pond Sealer may need only one application for the inside of the hull. He says that a professional model boat firm Model Dock.co.uk uses it exclusively on RC models. The Germans use Glattfix because the have not got G4. He also gave me some very sound advice re; Rc and the absolutely unneccessary gearing that the Amati RC kit will contain. This is not the first time this has been mentioned to me. Markus Kirshherr emailed me with the advice that my 2 motor set-up should be direct drive. And Mark is much cheaper than Amati. He recons that he could supply all that is needed for about £70.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Waterproofing inside and out
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2007, 07:45:11 pm »

Yes, I used it extensively earlier this year to seal some leaking areas on my 1:1 scale yacht. It's good stuff, usually marketed as a concrete pond sealer but now being used to make GRP repairs on yachts. It is a polyurethane moisture curing sealer which goes on just like polyester resin but will cure in temperatures down to 0 degrees C. Check prices carefully as they seem to vary. My local garden centre wanted an arm and a leg but a yacht chandler was much cheaper. The only quibble I would have is that if you don't use it fairly quickly it seems to go off in the container and I think the minimum quantity is a litre or so. Try Googling "G4 Sealer" for lots of info.

Colin

gerrybuilt

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2007, 08:19:22 pm »

Hi Collin,

By God that was quick. Nice to know someone is watching!!! Thanks for your input, i will go to my nearest boat chandler and get some as soon as the second planking is finished. No need to waste the stuff  if it goes off in the tin.

What do you think about the other stuff about RC that I posted?

Regards

Gerry

P.S.  Try 'A Model World'  He is in a trade directory in one of the sites. Phone:01606-891999 ask for Mark.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Topic Split - Motors Gearing Pulleys etc.
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 10:44:57 am »

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

White Ensign

• Full Mayhemer
  • Limits must be limited!
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2008, 03:33:27 pm »

G4 is also available in Germany- but as said before it could vary in prices very much. The finish is perfect, but there is also another way of "sealing" wood. I use to take (on a hull) a coat of epoxy-mould with a layer of fibreglass 40gr/m² or lighter. Works very well and protects the hull by any bumps or similar "accidents".

Hope that was out of any help.

Jörg
When God created planet earth, he made it with 75% of water. Bet he had the modelboaters on his mind!

sunnybob

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 08:21:27 pm »

Yes, I used it extensively earlier this year to seal some leaking areas on my 1:1 scale yacht. It's good stuff, usually marketed as a concrete pond sealer but now being used to make GRP repairs on yachts. It is a polyurethane moisture curing sealer which goes on just like polyester resin but will cure in temperatures down to 0 degrees C. Check prices carefully as they seem to vary. My local garden centre wanted an arm and a leg but a yacht chandler was much cheaper. The only quibble I would have is that if you don't use it fairly quickly it seems to go off in the container and I think the minimum quantity is a litre or so. Try Googling "G4 Sealer" for lots of info.

Colin
Colin, just read this while trawling through the new layout. surely a 1/1 scale is not a scale, but a full size??? ;) ;) :D
Bob

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 08:28:36 pm »

Yes, it's a real boat!

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2008, 05:19:23 am »

Excellent! Can you bring it to the Mayhem weekend at Wicksteed?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 22 queries.