Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: IOM Fin  (Read 4245 times)

jcarse

IOM Fin
« on: July 12, 2006, 07:44:43 am »

Hi all

Any suggestions as to how I can make the entry point of an IOM fin into the hull waterproof, without using sealant???? ? ???

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
Re: IOM Fin
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2006, 07:48:44 am »

Give the bottom of the hull up to the deck line a coat of clear gloss. should seal it up..
Also you can run a fillet of something like aryldite mixed with glass beads then the clear..
Or you can use thick cyano and then the clear..
any or all three should stop the leaks...

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

jcarse

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2006, 07:56:03 am »

Hi Roy

Thanks for that, although I've reservations about spraying the hull as it's a very smooth, highly polished finish, which took me hours to get!!, also I'd need to spray the boat every time I took the keel out for transport.........mmmmmmm!!!

Thanks anyway

John

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2006, 08:13:57 am »

Morning John
It is a common problem with fins, (Boats not people !)  if you have a leak the first place to look is the keel box. There is not much you can do on the outside as there is no space (or shouldn't be !) A good fillet of the usual adhesives, ie glass fibre/resin, Araldite Original etc around the base of the keel box inside the hull should be enough. I have just finished my latest IOM and have got a slow leak and -yes you've guessed it- it is leaking where the box meets the hull slot. Of course now it is finished it is impossible to acess the area on this design so I will just have to live with emptying her out every second race !
Best of luck
MikeK

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2006, 11:48:44 am »

Sorry John I thought it was a fixed keel, but I know the feeling I have an A class yacht about 1.8 metres and the keel comes out for transport all 11 kg of it, mine also started leaking in the same place so after checking I decided that for me the easiest solution was tp run a bead of silicone around the keel slide it in and do up the hold down screws which means the keel is now part of the hull, has never leaked since but is awkward to transport, but I have a large station wagon so it's not that big a deal...

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2006, 06:35:48 pm »

If it is just for fun sailing then there is nothing stopping you from using Roy's solution. If it is for class sailing then of course the fin must be removable.
Best regards
MikeK

BobF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2006, 07:35:54 pm »

Hi,
I've only built a couple of meter yachts, but knowing of this problem, but maybe not of use to you if you can't now get to the box,? I do the following.

I set the keel box into position with a couple of spot tacks of glue. I then make a frame round the outside of the box, and epoxy the frame to the hull, leaving 1mm between the two items. Using 1/8 by 1/4 balsa for the frame. Once the epoxy sets, I remove the keel box and then epoxy back into place. After this has set I apply epoxy to the frame and box area letting it run into the 1mm gap. I use the very slow setting epoxy for the last bit, to give it a chance to get to all the little areas that might have leaked

Bob

Ian Robins

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2006, 07:42:31 am »

Hi,
I have just built a soling kit and I had the same problem, But I found that by placing a small smear of silicon grease on the keel before sliding in the keelbox sorted out the leak. Now I can sail all day and remove the keel without any water. I just have to remember to re grease every time I sail. It is a pain but hey no leaks.
Good luck
Ro88o

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2006, 09:07:40 am »

Cheers Ro88o, I will give that a try next time out on the lake
best regards
MikeK
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 22 queries.