Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Type 42 Destroyer  (Read 4145 times)

cdsc123

Type 42 Destroyer
« on: March 14, 2008, 08:47:20 am »

HMS Exeter left Gibraltar Harbour yesterday, passing through the entrance at 19 knots after having accelerated from a standstill with a run-up of around 500 yards. Very impressive to see and hear;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oc2fxxVqgE

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Type 42 Destroyer
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 09:38:45 am »

There goes this year's fuel allowance then! She was open to the public, upper deck only, at the Boat Show in January and showing her age a bit. Still, she is a veteran of the Falklands War. It was the second time I've been aboard, the first was in Portsmouth some years ago and I still have the Exeter mug. She bears an illustrious name with her predecessor being the hero of the River Plate action and going down fighting in the Java Sea against an overwhelming force of Japanese cruisers. I hope the name will be passed on to a future vessel in due course - that is if the Navy gets any future vessels...

farrow

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2008, 06:09:30 pm »

My nephew in the pusser was telling me today that recently the Southampton and Exeter came in to Pompey to destore and pay off when the Navy Brass came down the jetty and said no the vessels are still needed, due to lack of hulls. I hear there is a type 23 in Pompey, been in a long time waiting repairs, but as yet they cannot repair her yet(believe the Andrew is brassiac).

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2008, 10:55:37 pm »

Lord! She's going some there. Hope those tankers were moored and all!

Holmsey

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2008, 11:35:14 pm »

Exeter must have done whatever it was she was in a hurry for, she was back in Portsmouth this weekend!!!

farrow

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 06:08:29 pm »

The latest i have heard is Exeter finish's this year, Southampton is limping back to Pompey with a seized shaft and two engines blown and will probably finish, Nottingham is finished she is to be cannibalised to keep Liverpool running. ? on whole class beyond this year.

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 12:44:22 am »

Blimey! Better get those shiny new Type 45's in service sharpish! Southampton sounds on her last legs. Nottingham was only repaired a couple of years back after that bump with a bit of rock and I think she hadnt been back in service long before that having been refitted.

That would seem to be Liverpool out of the batch 1 & 2's plus the ugly stretched batch 3's then?

farrow

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2008, 09:17:42 pm »

Yeah they better pull something out of the bag, but they they always can go to Woolies and buy some plastic kits? The question that begs an answer is how they intend to build two large aircraft carriers, when they have no viable battle group and supply chain to support them?

Bartapuss

• Full Mayhemer
  • Deltic's Rule OK!
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2008, 09:31:18 pm »

I am totally surprised Southampton's lasted this long, It was a peice of crap back in 1990-91 when it was in at Swan Hunters for repair after they pranged it round the front of a tanker in the Gulf and Nottingham was'nt much better, but they do say s**t floats.
Every time I learn something new, it pushes something old out of my brain - I says wot I likes and I likes wot I say!!!

farrow

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2008, 09:11:53 pm »

DG ships took the mick out of the 21's cracking up and having to be strengthen. But they kept quite about the same problems with the 42's, which all had to be strengthen. I did hear from good quarters that the York on its first docking, they found cracks in her forward deep frames?

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2008, 10:06:08 pm »

This is the Almirante Condell  leaving Portsmouth today. She is the former HMS Marlborough which has been sold to Chile at a knockdown price. Meanwhile the RN his left with the superannuated Type 42 rustbuckets. Really, somebody should be shot for treason.  >>:-(

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2008, 06:42:22 pm »

I read in today's paper that both Exeter and Southampton had their Sea Dart missiles removed last year and the crew reduced accordingly to save money. They've still got thir 4.5 inch guns though so that's OK.... >:( >:(

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2008, 08:46:18 pm »

Thought it was just the stretched 42's that had to have extra strengthening?

Some harsh comments about 42's and all. They're just getting on in years, you know  >:(

farrow

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2008, 09:33:42 pm »

No all the 42's were reinforced, the early batches had like half height bulwarks fitted along their main deck and the stretched ones had bulges fitted along the top on the sheer strake. Also their only sub detection especially on the older batches is the helicopter, they need to give Collingwood so many weeks notice to specially train up someone to operate the sonar gear. As the jimmy on the Exeter said if they know a submarine is in the area it is full speed to get away as quickly as possible.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 21 queries.