Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Caldercraft Northlight  (Read 12461 times)

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
Caldercraft Northlight
« on: March 14, 2008, 10:29:14 am »

I've taken this sections topic literally - this is a description of the contents of the Northlight kit. I bought this off eBay. I think this could be an original Caldercraft Kit - no mention of Jotika. The quality of the hull is superb, I haven't yet opened the packets of castings, but they look pretty good. There is some die-cut ply and some printed ply sheets, a very good plan, plus an assembly manual with diagrams. Looking forward to getting stated :)

I will post a build thread when I get going.

Barrie

barryfoote

Re: Caldercraft Northlight
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 04:03:15 pm »

That certainly looks like an original. Frank Hinchliffe's bits and pieces are generally of a high standard. He will be looking down from on high with pride I am sure. It is a cracking model....Enjoy and don't forget the pics of the build.

Barry

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 05:39:33 pm »

Unfortunately, I was a bit premature! The first few fittings I have removed from their bags are not too good - lots of flash. Also, no fault of Caldercraft, the hull has gone out of shape a little. Nothing that can't be corrected by a little gentle heat, but it will delay construction by a day or two.

Pics to follow when I've actually assembled something! So far I've only cut some holes in the hull :)

Barrie

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 06:02:42 pm »

That was my experience with some of the review models but, as you say, the hull should be fairly easy to tease back into shape and the flash can be trimmed off. You should still end up with a nice model. If any of the fittings are past saving then you can proabably get replacements from JoTIKa. I got a replacement anchor for my Cumbrae recently when the original was knocked off somewhere on the pond.

Colin

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2008, 09:06:57 am »

Well, having got a bit further into this kit I have to say I don't understand why Caldercraft (original not Jotika) were considered to be so wonderful. The instructions/construction diagrams are full of errors, the fittings are carefully sorted into numbered bags, but there is no information as to what is in each bag. I assumed that sub assemblies, e.g. winch, would be in one bag, but no. Not even a note of which fitting is in which bag on the parts list. The strip wood bears no resemblance to the dimensions quoted in the parts list, etc, etc.

I hope that Jotika have sorted it out for current models.

Its going to be an interesting build :) I will start a build thread shortly.

Barrie

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2008, 10:28:12 am »

I visited JoTIKa in January for a Model Boats writeup on the company which will appear later in the year. I was told that the Caldercraft range was extensively retooled when they took over. This is a picture of the Northlight kit renamed Vital Spark in line with Neil Munro's Para Handy stories.

Colin

westcoaster

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 07:54:35 pm »

I built, and slightly modified a Caldercraft Northlight a long time ago.
The kit went together quite well . If you look at some pics of real puffers, however you will see that there is a rubbing strake too many on the kit hull.
For a more realistic appearance the lowest one needs to be sanded off.
Another point, and I notice this on many model puffers,not just the Northlight kit, is that the black hull paint is carried far too low.
Certainly the well known "cruise puffer" Vic 32 has black to the (unladen) waterline, but she is not at all representative.
Have a look at www.river-clyde.org.uk/puffers.html and you'll see what I mean.
Please note I'm not criticising how you have finished your puffer models - that is up to you, but am just passing on some information on how they really looked.
Pic attached of mine which represents arguably the cleanest puffer on the Clyde - the 1903 Saxon, owned in Millport.
Best Wishes
Douglas

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 04:05:32 pm »

What colour did you use for the the lower hull? I believe Caldercraft say '?? Pink' (dont have the plans to hand). Did you use a Humbrol colour?

Barrie

westcoaster

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2008, 12:21:17 am »

Hello Barrie, I used humbrol no. 18, gloss orange.
You know how they say a model is never finished - well this is another example, because all these years on I've never got round to the coat of satin varnish that I think is required.
I've heard of the "pink" recommendation before and certainly I've seen puffers with a more pinkish shade. Probably the paint they would use in those times was a red lead concoction and would vary according to who mixed it.
My opinion, for what its worth, would be to go for the more orange shades as they were the most commonly seen
Best wishes
Douglas

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2008, 09:51:09 am »

Thanks I was thinking of either Halfords Red primer or a Humbrol Red/Brown - can't remember the number at the moment.

Barrie

Cargo

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2009, 12:48:03 pm »

Unfortunately, I was a bit premature! The first few fittings I have removed from their bags are not too good - lots of flash. Also, no fault of Caldercraft, the hull has gone out of shape a little.

Seems to be a "normal" problem of the Northlight kit, 2 from my friends had similar problems with the hull. Some of the wooden parts were from very poor quality, some of the metal castings were just rubbish.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 21 queries.