Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Magnets for holding Hatches????  (Read 5505 times)

bigfella

Magnets for holding Hatches????
« on: March 14, 2008, 09:43:17 pm »

Hi All

I have a problem with my access hatches. They fit on the boat in a recess and there is not enough room to fit any sort of latch to secure them. I had thought of gluing Magnets to the hatch and to the recess on the boat. This should be enough to make sure that the hatch doe not come off when the boat is on the lake. Having said that, is there any reason not to use magnets on a model IE interferes with radio or ESC or anything.

Regards David O0

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Magnets for holding Hatches????
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 09:47:42 pm »

Shouldn't cause any problems at all, sounds like a good solution. The influence of a magnet is very limited so will not cause problems with radio or ESC, particularly when it it is confined by the "keeper" which attaches it to the hatch.

Colin

omra85

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 09:50:32 pm »

The multi racing lads use them to hold down racing boat hatches
http://www.iansboats.co.uk/DSC00001_0003.JPG
If they hold them down - you should have no trouble.
Danny

bigfella

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 10:01:12 pm »

Thanks guys for the quick response. I can source some round magnets at Bunnings (a hardware super store) 4 for $2 they are about .5cm.

Regards David

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
    • goole model boat club indi site
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 10:06:22 pm »

just a thought Bigfella what about those manetic strips that come with L plates and the like ,you should be able to cut them up to suit your application.
daz
I like to build my boats to play with, not to just look pretty, so they dont !

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 10:10:58 pm »

Do  a search on ebay for - Neodymium magnets
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2008, 10:13:37 pm »

I use magnetic cupboard catches as used in DIY furniture  O0
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

riggers24

• Full Mayhemer
  • Just full of stupid questions
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2008, 11:08:52 pm »

Didn't ACTion sell them????
I will finish the crash tender someday - Still got tooo many toys to play with

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2008, 11:36:07 pm »

bigfella,
Before you put your hatches on cover the hole with clingfilm for sailing, then put your magnetic hatches on.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

grasshopper

• Full Mayhemer
    • A1 Hobbies Ltd.
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2008, 11:48:46 pm »

If you see any old fridges being scrapped, run a knife alone the rubber seals and remove the long magnetic strip that's in there, cut to length and stick in place.

Roger in France

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2008, 07:09:23 am »

I have successfully used magnets to secure hatches and other items. I bought a mixed lot from a guy in Germany (cheap postal charges to me in France) which came in a range of shapes and sizes. They are neodymium magnets and have a very strong magnetic force. Sorry, but I have mislaid the Internet Site address, but as Martin said, try a search.

Do be careful where you store unused magnets as they can magnetise other things (but only if they are very close). Also, they can stick themselves down such that you have to slide a thin blade under them and lever them off. After giving myself problems I now have mine stuck to a metal shelf frame with scraps of cloth between them and the surface which they are gripping.

Roger in France.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2008, 10:57:47 am »

Most magnets have a high iron content, so will need protection from damp to prevent rust.  A layer of paint/varnish should do the job. 
The approved way of removing a keeper from a magnet (and a metal shelf would count as a keeper) was to slide the keeper sideways to avoid weakening the magnet.  If it is still strong enough after being straight pulled, this doesn't matter, of course.
The only way a magnet can cause an interference problem is if it gets rotated at an incredible rate near some wire.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2008, 09:45:25 pm »

There are stunningly powerful magnets in old hard drives, if you take a few minutes to dig 'em out.

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2008, 10:03:21 pm »

So are the ones out of microwave ovens. But it isn't the more powerful ones you want here, low to medium strength is enough for the job.

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2008, 10:33:14 pm »

Rare Earth magnets ( search on Fleabay for them ) come in at about £5 for 100x 2mmx0.5mm and believe me they can pick up my glasses so they can hold anything in place !!
Davie Tait,
Scotland

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2008, 10:54:46 pm »

I have just bought some from Ebay. The seller has given me permission to reproduce his write up. For your information I enclose it below.

Neodymium Magnets, mini size. 4 x 0.5mm Disc. Qty 50
                     Item number: 130167222243   

If you have not heard about NEODYMIUM MAGNETS (NdFeB) or RARE EARTH MAGNETS as they are also known, then you are not alone. These are the strongest NATURAL magnets as yet known to man, more than 10 times stronger than the equivalent sized ceramic magnet. They are PERMANENT and will not decrease in strength for your lifetime, no matter how old you are!!! They do not require a 'Keeper' Bar like old style magnets, and they are amazingly strong, sometimes beyond belief. The large sized ones have a multitude of serious applications, the smaller ones are both extremely useful and heaps of FUN!!!!
WARNING: Please read and Be Careful!

All magnets have certain risks and dangers associated with them. These NdFeB magnets are much stronger than magnets most folks are used to, so even a seemingly small magnet could be full of surprises! Small NdFeB magnet pose little risk, although one should be careful around electronics and magnetic storage medium - especially if you're handling a large stack of them!
Pinch Hazard: Larger magnets (NdFeB magnets larger than a 5p) are strong enough to pinch fairly hard should one get his/her fingers in between two of them, or between steel/iron and a magnet.
They are Brittle: These magnets are brittle. Should two magnets snap together hard, or snap onto a ferrous surface, they could break or chip.
Electronics and magnetic storage medium: Magnetic fields can temporarily, or permanant damage certain electronic devices and magnetic storage medium. Keep them away from computers, computer monitors, cassette tapes, floppy disks, etc. With smaller magnets, you should be safe if you keep them at least 3" away. But again, if you have a large stack - a little extra care and distance would be appropriate.
Health Risks: There are no known health risks to handling magnets EXCEPT: Certain pacemakers or any other electronic health devices could be affected. Don't handle magnets if you wear a pacemaker or any other electronic health device unless you get your doctors approval! Pregnant women should probably avoid strong magnetic fields.

Like any other potentially dangerous item or substance, these magnets are perfectly safe when treated with care and stored properly. Treat them with the same respect you would power tools, knives, ammunition, etc. Your magnets (unless they're small refrigerator magnets) should be kept in a safe place away from electronics and out of the reach of children. Properly stored and carefully handled, these magnets are perfectly safe and should last a lifetime!

Should stop me loosing hatches.   O0

Cheers...Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2008, 12:12:05 pm »

But if these nagnets are as strong as they indicate, how the 'eck do you get the hatch off if you cant slide it?  ;D
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

Roger in France

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2008, 12:25:38 pm »

I have found you just have to choose your magnet by its size. I have always arranged that the hatch has some fitting attached to it which acts as a good handle for pulling it off. I have also left a "coil of rope" idly resting under the edge of the hatch to provide a place to pull on.

You also need to give some thought to which way around you fit your magnetic catch. Do you attach the keeper or the magnet to the hatch? In many instances it does not matter but in some cases there is the preferred option because of the structure of the hatch and what lies beneath it.

Roger in France.

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2008, 03:22:25 pm »

You can fix a magnet to the hatch surround and then have a detachable "coil of rope" with the other magnet in the base of it this will hold provided the magnet is big enough and the hatch material not more than 2-3mm thick
Davie Tait,
Scotland

bigfella

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2008, 09:50:16 pm »

Hi All

Thanks for all the replies. I have seen the Neodymium magnets and they do seem a bit too strong for my application. I have decided to use some medium magnets on both the hatches and the recess. Magnet to magnet, which should be strong enough. I will also be using some magnets to secure the 50cal machine guns and the gunner in the machine gun tubs.

Regards David

Captain Povey

« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2008, 10:10:31 am »

Hi, I have used small strong magnets to operate reed switches in applications where going upside down requires the thing to switch off. These are available from RS Components. Cheers Graham
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 22 queries.