Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Eldergarth Tug  (Read 15838 times)

Stavros

Eldergarth Tug
« on: March 15, 2008, 07:25:40 pm »

This will be a complete build feature of this Tug Kit that I have just purchased today from Scale Hobbies of Skelmersdale.This is a NEW kit that will be available from April of this year,it is available with either a Laser cut plywood superstructure or Plasticard,in the kit is everything you will need to build this hansome tug right down to a pair of Brass props/shaft,Kort's etc.Hull is GRP and of Excellent Quality,Price is Exceptionally competitive at £285.Hopefully I will get mine by the end of the week and will post photos accordingly.
Just to give you an idea of what is going into this tug
Motors MMM
Electrics Action naturally
Working winch
Lights
Sound system
So me is going to be locked in the shed for a few Happy nights

Stavros

Stavros

Re: Eldergarth Tug
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 07:05:21 pm »

Right then here she is,just been delivered from Scale Hobbies My new build.
This is a totally new kit marketed by Steve of Scale Hobbies in Skelmersdale and will soon be readily available to everyone,first impressions WOW second WOW
Seriously thought when Steve said it was a full kit I went oh yeah,guaranteed I will have to buy something HOW WRONG I could have been,the quality of the hull is excellent,having made moulds etc for different car panels I must admit I was shocked to see the quality,uniform thickness throughout and a good gel coverage.
Whats in the kit well everything,all you need to complete are the usual glues and paint all you need to supply are a pair of motors esc,batts and a 2 channel receiver and away you go,even the brass props are there.
i was shocked to find that Steve has included 3 crew members of the appropriate scale in the kit,the fittings are either in Resin or Pewter,all the wood for the under deck beams are inc,all Brass rod for the railings etc.A lifeboat and crane is in the kit all winches,towing bollards the list is endless.
Included in the kit is a very comprehensive build manual some photos and a CD so it is away to do some reading.
I have included some photos of the bits build to commence SOON

Stavros

Stavros

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 07:07:18 pm »

More of the contents

Stavros

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 07:08:29 pm »

Last 3 of the contents

Stavros

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 06:16:44 pm »

started out marking of the drive train and washports etc ready for cutting

Stavros

Stavros

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2008, 12:18:09 pm »

Right then first things first read and read and read again the instructions as mistakes are difficult to rectify!!!Holes for the shafts and z drives were first cut out with a dremel and then filled to shape,Everything was trial fitted taken out and checked again for alignment.The shafts and z drives were epoxied in with devcon 2 ton adhesive.I greased the Kort shafts before they were fitted as one can not do this after they have been glued in.One slight problem I must admit I had was the pintal for one of the Kort's had been damaged in transit so it was duely repaired with some brass rod.I contacted Steve who immediately offered a replacement but it was not needed.The sceg was measured up and holes were drilled 1mm to large and a vernier was used off the shafts to centre it properly,this was also glued in place with Devcon.
I also have started rubbing down the mould lines on the hull with 80grit to start with and finished off with 240.I must admit this process took all of 5 Min's as the hull is of excellent quality,as regards filler work needed on the hull only 3 places need filler,one on the bow and the other stern this was due to MY FAULT yes you guessed it got carried away with a dremel(Silly me)the third is a slight dent on the st db side on the stern which is totally negligible.
There was one slight problem when aligning the Kort's up Steve had supplied 2 plastic discs for the job but if I had used them they would not have come back out of the Kort's,maybee it was me but I simply aligned by eye and the steerable Kort's have full movement.

Pictures
1 Holes cut for shafts and drives
2 Z drive ready fro cleaning
3 1st shaft being installed
4 Kort and prop
5 as above
6 interior shot of sealing of shafts etc
7 Skeg fitted beginning to look purposeful !!!!!!!!
Stavros

Stavros

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2008, 04:22:36 pm »

Right then first job was to measure down from the plan the heights of the deck beams,these were fitted with devcon clamped and left for 15 Min's to set the the opp side was done,boat deck and rear deck have also been done.There is one slight problem that I have encountered and the jury is out on this one!!!.No access to the motors after the deck has been glued on so a cunning plan will be hatched watch this space so to speak

More piccies

8   Rudder linkages
9   Main deck runner been glued into place
10 Boat deck """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
11 Deck under supports
12 Decks on but not fixed
13 """""""""""""""""""""""""

Stavros

Stavros

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2008, 07:38:43 pm »

Today the main deck was built up which meant building the fwd Bulkhead inc doors,the aft part of the deck was sloped to give the correct height of the rear deck,YES who got it wrong yup ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Don't ask.
Now if you are building this Kit carefull consideration MUST be given to how one will access the shafts,coupling and motor if heaven forbid you get a failure,reason for saying this if you glue all the decks down you can not access the aforementioned.With this in mind there was only one soloution in my mind an access hatch.now having seen all the debate about how other boats take on water a cunning plan was hatched.The hatch was cut out carefully and put aside,a frame was glued to the underneath of the deck to hold the hatch.whilst the deck was off I took the time to reinforce the area where the towing hook will be located.With regards to sealing the hatch it is simple coat the wood with silicone,mask the hatch with clingfilm press down and leave to set,remove hatch and coat with Vaseline and screw down with countersunk screws.now hiding those screws is simple run 10mm piece of yellow pin stripe to hide the screws and it will look as if it is a no go area when the winch is being used.

Piccies

14 Main Deck fwd Bulkhead
15 Access hatch
16 Frame to support hatch which will house the towing winch and bridle
17 showing the reinforcing under deck

Stavros

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2008, 10:31:19 pm »

I have cleaned up the topic and set up a Q & A Thread here for all questions on this build. http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=10496.msg98157#msg98157
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Stavros

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2008, 10:41:22 pm »

The superstructure comes with a total of 14 parts to construct first job is to clean up all the parts ready for gluing together with plastic weld.The fit of these parts yet again are excellent yes one will need a little filer on some of the joints BUT i think this is down to ME and no one else.There are recesses in the superstructure for doors to be fitted and these must got perfectly square.One important piece of info if missed in the ins is that the hole in the roof of the superstructure MUST be in the correct place if not the stairwell will be wrong.The bridge section was next and I must admit I was very apprehensive of doing this as one has to score 3/4 of the way through all the sections to get the correct shape,that was the easy part.Getting the dammed angles was not let alone fitting it all together you need 2 pairs of hands and a third to apply the glue >>:-(.   OK it's not as bad as that but it is tricky.The ins tell you that one scored you put a small infill piece of half round into the scored cut to straighten it prior to assembly.I must admit I did not I found it easier to assemble the sides front and back up to the score and then glue each corner individually,but the choice is yours,I tend to do things the way it suits me!!!!!.
the boat crane was then constructed in the same way leaving the roof off so I can access to point and detail.

picture
18   Door and recess on superstructure
19   Superstruture on Hull
20  """"""""""""""""""""""""
21   Bridge section
22   Making sure everything is square
23  Temp fitted to hull
24   """"""""""""""""""""
25   Boat Crane Control cabin

Stavros

Stavros

Stavros

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2008, 11:23:27 pm »

Right then the funnel base and side lockers were constructed along with the funnel not a big job but rewarding to see process.All the window frames were fitted to the bridge and superstructures including the crane control cabin,there are 32 of these to cut clean and glue on but the effect is just brilliant,I trial fitted a window and believe you me they are superb.I decided after this I wanted light relief so decided to detail the bridge with the seats chart table and control stations all included in the kit,there are some pewter fittings for the control levers to be fitted when painted along with the crew.Surprisingly it has onlytaken 16hrs to get to this stage,btu as you well know things will now slow down a bit.

Stavros

Picture

26 Base for the funnel and side locker
27 window frames showing how to get them level Stavros style
28 """"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
29 """"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
30 interior detail of the bridge
31 All parts loosely fitted looking like a tug at last
32 View from the stern
33 Funnel assembly

Stavros

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2008, 11:16:31 pm »

Right then it seems an age since I last worked on the old girl been busy getting ready fro Mayhem at wickstead,well thats my story and I am sticking to it.
First job was to find a suitable place for the rudder servo bearing in mind that serviceability is allwas an issue,I decided to install it between the rudder posts so if necessary it could be replaced in the event of a failure.A rudder box was constructed with 10x10 beading and epoxied to the hull,and a Futaba 3003 was installed.
I then decided to build the three winches that are on the tug,so all the parts were cleaned up and identified.I must admit that the cleaning up did not take long due to the superb nature of the fittings.The first winch to be built was the towing winch followed by the bridle and finally the front towing/anchor winch,all three were relatively easy to build if one follows the plan.
The font Bollard was fixed through the deck and reinforced with some 10mm thick off cut of mahogany and the deck was glued to the hull using 2 part epoxy.As you can see it is coming together slowly but surely,it is certainly going to take some time before she sees water!!!! but it is defiantly an enjoyable build.

Picture

34  Rudder servo installation
35  Winch parts rady for cleaning
36  Towing winch under construction
37  Towing winch cable slide
38  Bridle winch parts
39  Bridle winch assembled
40  Front towing/anchor winch
41  Completed winch

Stavros

Stavros

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2008, 11:23:14 pm »

picture

42  Bow deck glued on
43  Mock up of winch
44 Towing and bridle winch mock up

Stavros

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2008, 09:47:10 pm »

Right then onwards with the mast,it is constructed with 4 parts one that has to be scored 3/4 of the way through to get the correct angle at the mast base.All the mast light supports were cut out of palsticard approx 15x10mm and a support was added to each individual light base.The ladder support was next and I must admit that I deviated slightly form the ins by using a 2x2 plastic box section that I had in the spares box.The mast rings were next and these were formed using the supplied former and bent to shape,what I must admit is that I cheated in the way they are fixed to th mast I drilled individual holes and then superglued into place.The mast head is suppose to be 3.2mm rod but yet again I changed this to 8mm plastic rod simply for the reason that I need to get 6 wires down the middle of it and at the base of the mast this multipies to 28 for all the lights.What I propose to do is to fix in a brass rod through the bridge section that will look like a grab rail simply to take all the cables through and out into the superstructure,well thats the plan anyway!!!!!!!!!
It was then time to add some more detail in th wheelhouse ie the stairwell and banister
I then decided that being such a nice day that I would primer the winches,towing winch controll room and the superstructure with primer filler 2 coats.The mast was also primed and given 3 coats of final colour satin black.This of course will now be stored where no overspray can get at it till it is next needed

Picture

45  Mast built
46  """"""""""
47  Primer applied to winches and winch control cabin
48  Primer on the superstructure
49  """"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
50  Stairwell and banister
51  Mast painted
52  """"""""""""""

Stavros 

Stavros

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2008, 05:02:26 pm »

well I actually managed to find some time to get to the shed so whats been happening.Right bought a second motor off ebay through Gary at Red bank O0so I needed to construct some mountings for them.I decided to use some 10mm ply that I had spare so it was cut drilled etc and epoxy ed into the hull with 2 strengtheners running fwd to as support.
A platform was needed to hold the 2x12v12amp batts so I used a draughtsman's thingy basically it is rubber with an aluminium strengthener running through it to get the profile of the hull so I could cut out 5 under floor joists so to speak to support the base for the batts.
Next the batt had to be held in and stopped from going AWOL in the hull this was very simply made with offcuts of 30x10 that I had and expoxyed to the base.
deck has been finally epoxied on and the stbd side washports have been marked out and cut.well thats all for now folks

Picture

53  Motor Mount with motors bolted on
54  Finding out the hull profile
55  Cutting out the hull strengtheners
56  Making sure the strengtheners are level
57  All in and epoxied
58  Getting the side profile for the batt tray
59  Batt tray held down as the epoxy dries
60  Batt box completed

Stavros

Stavros

« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2008, 05:11:13 pm »

more piccies

61 Batts installed
62 Bath test Note the swamping wave that came back from the bath!!!!!!!!!!! Yes Mrs stav gave me a rollicking!!!!!!!!!!!
63 It floats
64 washports marked and cut out

Stavros

TorViking

• Shipmate
  • The Tug Man
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2008, 11:09:35 pm »

Hi mate,
Just one point, althought this looks like a very nice kit and I do know steve from skelmersdale models.those are not Z-Drives.they are steerable Kort Knozzles.Z-Drives do not have fixed shafts leading inside the hull as in you're model.

Andy.

Stavros

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2008, 11:17:13 pm »

Right lets get back on track, I reinstalled the p94 due to it been on holiday in another model,checked the electrics out but no need as they are all Action and work!
Right then after checking the electrics I decided to fix the main deck down with good old 30 min epoxy.Whilst this was curing I fixed the funnel to the appropriate place and started cutting out the rubbing strakes which were cynoed to the hull.The bow snubber has been started and is work in progress.
Now confession time Stav the super plonker dropped a clanger on this boat in the electrics dept,having made a mental note that I had to extend the servo wires,who forgot yes you guessed it,all I can say is thank goodness everything is on velcro so is accessable

65 side on showing rubbing strakes
66 Bow view
67 View of superstructure on new deck
68 Showing the hidden electrics
69 Funnel
70 Rubbing strakes
71 Bow snubber
Stavros

Stavros

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2008, 11:18:22 pm »

Right then seeing as I had a sudden attack today of Eldergarth itis   DON'T ASK I decided to start rubbing down the hull and getting ready for painting, this of course was done after finishing off the Bow fender rubbing strakes etc.Now some of you out there might be wondering how I bent the rubbing strakes to wrap around the hull.Not liking the idea of getting the wood wet by soaking overnight to get it to bend and not having a steamer plan b was hatched make a load of cuts approx half way through the wood and simply bend it to shape.Ah ha I hear you say what about the visible cuts no problem at all i will fill them up with Easy light body stopper.The hull was rubbed down with 180 grit paper dry to get it ready for the filler stage which I hope to do tomorrow evening,unless I decide to get on with something else.Prior to painting I will have to drill about 80+ holes for stancheons etc so this will take a while any volunteers!!!
The mast I am not at all happy with (my fault)so this will have to be redone sometime.Steve of Scale Hobbies is in the process of sending me some additions to the kit which he has developed which will eventually be included in the price.piccies as soon as they arrive.

Stavros

offshore1987

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2008, 04:28:49 pm »

Hi

Really likin the build  :-)) keep up the good work and cant wait to see more  :-)

All the best

Stavros

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2008, 07:25:17 pm »

Well spent the day in the shed the weather was to Pooh Pooh to go out taking photos so I have been a bust bee.
Decided it was time that the hand rails and stancheons and some filler work were needed.I started off with the hand rail around the bridge but alas I had a brain storm and got rather carried away  O0 I decided to glue all the hand rail holders into place totally forgetting to insert the hand rail which I had allready bent  >>:-( so plan B was formulated which consisted of some Plastic rod which was used instead,the jury is still out on this one as ME not happy but we Will see.
I then started on the Stancheons cleaning them up ready for installation.I started on the wheelhouse fixing the Port side first(easy one to start with)The next job was to fabricate a set of stairs from the bridge down to the boat deck and affix to the superstructure.The next set of stanchions were now put into place with the top rail forming the handrail of the stairs.
Next on the list was the boring part................ filler work,as I do this on a daily business it gets tedious doing it on a model!!!! But hey never mind she is beginming to look the part.The filler which I am  great fan of is sold in Halfords and is easy light,it is a dream to work with.This was applied with a finger bets tool for the job especially on the bulwarks,this was rubbed down with 80 grit moving then on to 180.The filler has been overacoated with what I call cream cheese!!! It is a 2 pack polyester filler that is used in the motor trade and is only rolled or brushed on.All the bulwarks etc have been painted and as soon as dry will be rubbed down with 180 then 400 ready for primer

72  Hand rail holders
73  Hand rail in place
74  Stancheons taking shape
75  Hand rail fitted
76  Ladder from Bridge
77  Ladder and hand rail

Stavros

Stavros

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2008, 07:33:19 pm »

More Photos

78 Filler work in progress
79 """""""""""""""""""""""
80 Primer brushed on
81 """"""""""""""""""""
82 Even the funnel was done

Stavros

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2008, 08:31:43 pm »

Looking good Stav, will it be ready for Llanberies next year ?  :-))
Steamed up all the time

Stavros

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2008, 11:02:23 pm »

DEFINATLY :-))

Stavros

Stavros

« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2008, 06:22:06 pm »

Well she got her bottom well and truly wet today,am I pleased OH YEAH I am power with abundance,turning circle unbelievable,going astern capabilities aw some all down to one little gadget,yes you guessed it right a P94 off Action.FLJ you are a STAR.
And no you arent seeing double I also had my other Eldergarth out to play as well.

Stavros
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 22 queries.