Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Making a dynamic diving submarine  (Read 3772 times)

polobeer

• Full Mayhemer
Making a dynamic diving submarine
« on: October 08, 2008, 02:04:04 pm »

Could anyone advise me how to make a dynamic diving submarine? I can't afford to buy the components for a static diver (WTC, etc) so I thought a dynamic diving sub might be cheaper and easier to build. I'd like to have a go at converting the Trumpeter Seawolf or the Revell U212 plastic kits in this way. Any help/photos appreciated.

Simon  ???

das boot

Re: Making a dynamic diving submarine
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 06:50:56 pm »

Could anyone advise me how to make a dynamic diving submarine? I can't afford to buy the components for a static diver (WTC, etc) so I thought a dynamic diving sub might be cheaper and easier to build. I'd like to have a go at converting the Trumpeter Seawolf or the Revell U212 plastic kits in this way. Any help/photos appreciated.

Simon  ???

Converting small plastic kits into working subs can be fraught with problems, mainly lack of room to get the r/c gear in. Try the Revell Gato, at 51" in length it makes an ideal candidate for a fully operating boat.

Buying the parts needed for the WTC is not too expensive...get the tube from ebay, end caps you either make yourself or get a friend with a lathe to turn you up a pair. Ballast systems can be just a small vented water tank filled and emptied by a car screenwash pump (£15 from Halfords) and operated by a pair of microswitches attached to a servo, dead easy to build and set up. The rest of it is basic sub building, ballasting down and endless sea trials.
Or why not not make up a watertight box instead of a WTC? Build it into the shape of the hull, clear perspex top (ebay again), no problems with end caps etc. You do have to make sure that the box is 110% sealed and watertight though...

I'd go for the Gato (super deals on ebay at the moment) with a home made water ballast system...that's what I'm doing with mine Simon.

Rich

polobeer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 07:00:47 pm »

Hello Rich!

Very helpful info there and some food for thought. I'll ponder the matter and let you know what I decide to do...

All the best
Simon  ok2

The long Build

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 07:05:20 pm »

This is one made by a member of the club I belong to being used at the Steam & Vintage rally the other week in Widnes.

A Very Basic Design but effective and am sure the Principal can be easily adapted to plastic kits.

The sub is built around the the box which is sealed by nothing more than a dozen screws and some grease, control linkages also packed with grease as is the prop shaft.  Connections on the outside of the box to recharge the nicad battery similar I think to that mentioned by u-33. The front planes operate.

das boot

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2008, 07:39:20 pm »

Hello Rich!

Very helpful info there and some food for thought. I'll ponder the matter and let you know what I decide to do...

All the best
Simon  ok2

Have a good ponder Simon, and if you need any more help, pm me...I have loads of links to helpful sites, diagrams, etc.

Rich

polobeer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2008, 08:13:53 pm »

Hello The Long Build and Rich!

I really appreciate your help here. The watertight box idea seems good; however, a bit more info about the ballast systems would be very useful (like the one you mention Rich) with a photo or diagram if possible?

All the best to you both
Simon  ok1

das boot

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2008, 08:38:02 pm »

Simon, you have a pm waiting for you...

Rich
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 22 queries.