Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Type XXI Static Diving  (Read 4379 times)

tugmad

Type XXI Static Diving
« on: March 16, 2008, 06:37:17 pm »

:-\Has anybody coverted a type XXI to static dive ? is it possible to fit a pump and bladder or Engel dive system once the boat is completed?as I seem to have a hell of a job to get mine to dive even when nearly fully awash she has to go so fast that I run out of room on the lake.
many thanks.      ::) george.

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
Re: Type XXI Static Diving
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 12:09:29 pm »

George,

Mine is a static diver, but it is not a kit built it myself, and made my own WTC and it works perfectly, you don't need to spend large amounts of cash buying WTC's as they are quite simple to produce....................

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

robbo770

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 05:33:55 am »

I converted my from the outset, but it is easily converted after assembly with an Engel tnk, get a 750 tank to give you control then depending on what battiries you use you may have to add a bit more keel weight to get her to sit right, i run slightly below water line, as lets face it no sub ever ran at this level, most ran full decks awash to allow faster dive from detection.

see the website below as full pictures of build ad upgrade show.

cheers Rob

Sub driver

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 11:53:23 am »

George,

I have a XX1 converted with an Engel tank , there is acres of space inside the pressure hull as it is larger than the U-47 , I would go for the 825ml tank the 750 is ok for the U-47 but as I said earlier the pressure hull on the XX1 is larger therefore you will need a tank of a larger volume in order to get the waterline something like scale.

Here is a pic of an 825 installed in mine as you can see loads of space  O0

Regards Sub.

robbo770

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 01:02:17 pm »

watch your tank position as the bracket holding the motor will give you problems in the tube that high up in the tray, I speak from experience as changed mine with burrgen adapter  for 12 volt 385 5 pole to solve the clearance issues!!

Rob

tugmad

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 03:10:40 pm »

Hello chaps thanks for the replies is there any chance of a few more pics to enlighten me as to where to put the batteries etc if the tank goes in where they were I am more used to tugs than subs so would appreciat any info

thanks again    George.

Sub driver

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2008, 07:20:13 pm »

Robbo 770,

Sorry, but don't have any such probs with mine but I am sure your advice will be of use to a newby.

Tugmad,
You can place your batts on the unused part of the tray in front of the dive tank. I can get a 6volt 9amphr pack on there without any probs.

Regards SUb.

tugmad

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2008, 08:20:14 am »

Thanks for your help  next question what motores are you using as mine still has the `12volt robbe ones and you mentioned a 6 v 9amp batt so I assume you are using 6v motors and what batt pack is it? sorru to be a blooming nuisance but I really am out of my depth {-)with submarines

George.

Sub driver

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2008, 11:33:36 am »

sent you a P.M. :)

Leaky

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2008, 07:15:01 pm »

Sub driver could i be cheeky and ask for the same info please as i want to go for static diving on mine? :)
badly raised and ill mannered.

tugmad

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2008, 10:10:16 pm »

well I have gone for it ,many thanks to Sub Driver for his help.  attached some before and after pictures so far,
I have opted to do away with the mechanical switch for a magnetic one from Engel , I have used the spigot where the switch pull rod came out for my water pipe entry/exit, the tank I have used is an 825 TA with the BTS2 switch,

one small problem that I encountered was the valve in the hull for pressure testing protruded too far into the W/T cylinder that it fouled the Engle tank and also the fact that the boat was already built meant that I had to cut a section off the lower after casing to get to the rear bulkhead fittings ,I cut it about 130mm back from where it fit to the main hull and added doublers to the join to stick it back, Service from Engel is first class I ordered the tank on line on Last Friday afternoon and the tank was delivered at 8.15 Monday morning, the magnetic switch I ordered Sun Afternoon and got it this morning!!! O0 O0  more to follow later.

tugmad

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2008, 07:45:25 am »

Well I now have a static diving  Type XXI.  O0  Carried out pool testing yesterday and after a bit of initial trimming and ballasting
she sinks and comes back up again!  and stays  LEVEL :-X , the power from 6 volts using the original motors is pretty good but I have a small problem with the forward dive planes as I seem to be losing movement through the folding linkeage it all seems a bit slack so I shall have to rework it all or take out the folding planes and have them set in the outboard position . we shall see

Sub driver

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2008, 05:00:52 pm »

Glad you got it all sorted out and found the info useful

...as you can see its not really rocket science is it .

Well done and welcome to the wonderful world of 3 dimensions.

regards sub. :-))
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 21 queries.