Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: A few cannon balls short of a broadside Smit Nederland rebuild  (Read 11666 times)

banjo

I've got an early Christmas present.
A Smit Nederland Tug, much loved once I think but never got to do its bit on a pond.  Its one of the very early editions, none of the wooden parts are laser cut, just ink printed onto the wood.
Over time various parties seem to have "had a go" at it, there are several skill levels evident in the build as it is.   They didn't have the backing of the Model Mayhemers.
Now I'm going to "have a go"

HOWEVER; and this is where my title arises, I am seriously short of some parts.
I have one Kort, broken but useful as a pattern, the Becker rudders are missing the bottom fixings tying them into the Kort's, any sort of plans, and lots of other minor parts.

banjo

Re: A few cannon balls short of a broadside Smit Nederland rebuild
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 09:49:00 pm »

O0

I have to report some progress!

I thank Capt P for his help with plans, a gent in USA for helping me get kort nozzles, when Billings had failed, and various others on this Forum.

The first thing to do was soak off the glue from the deck.   The original owner had neglected to trim the hull down to the requisite line.  The hull has a lovely line from bow to stern; now the deck would not fit without reshaping.

When you take off the deck the hull reverts to being a plastic bag, all floppy!!

I have fitted out the hull with various bulkheads to strengthen it and allow a scratch build deck. (see pics)

Next jobby ..fit the running gear..

Watch this space:-...

meechingman

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tugs Rule, OK!
    • Andrew Gilbert
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 09:59:34 pm »

Glad to see that work is coming along Banjo. Just a thought. My rudder linkages would go right through your rather solid looking bulkheads. How are you arranging yours? ???
Andy
Admiral of the Haven Towage Fleet.

banjo

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 10:24:47 pm »

Rudder linkage by:-
Bowden Cable ...that tiller flat is low maintenance; I intend to have two small hatches let into the deck, like my Tito, to give access to the rudder linkage.
The next space forward from there will be sealed.

The Korts are fitted and the Lady has some rouge on her bottom to cover previous blemishes....

;D

banjo

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2008, 10:39:04 pm »

:)
Whilst the paint was drying.....

I put the deck in the bath with very hot soapy water to soak off the bulkheads and other fittings.  The deck would not bend to the curved shape required by the specs.
All the deck bits I have dried out, some to use as patterns for the rebuild.  The deck ended up in the scrap box.

I have just been interupted by some sort of party goer..is this a special day or something?

banjo

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 09:41:44 am »

I have fitted the props and shafts.
I have a pair of un-run 6V Marx Decaperms, which came with the boat, and which the plans illustrate as fitted.
I have also 2 12V Marx Hectoperm motors, horded from times past.

Question:- Which should I choose?

???

Captain Povey

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 12:02:06 pm »

Motor choice - good question that I am not qualified to answer but I bet someone on here knows. Failing that I would get out the executive decision maker and shout heads. Cheers Graham. PS she is looking very good too.

kiteman1

• Full Mayhemer
  • Proud to be a part of the Model Boat Mayhem Forum.
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2008, 07:06:07 pm »

I have fitted the props and shafts.
I have a pair of un-run 6V Marx Decaperms, which came with the boat, and which the plans illustrate as fitted.
I have also 2 12V Marx Hectoperm motors, horded from times past.

Question:- Which should I choose?

???
Hi Banjo

I've also got some dec's and hecta's which I'm sittng on for now.  I reckon the deca's will be more than adequate for the size of the boat.  These were the norm when the kit was first out.  Why don't you keep the hecta's for something a bit bigger. Two of those would drive a 48 inch tug very nicely. ...........

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2008, 07:39:47 pm »

Why not just use somr Graupner motors at 3000 rpm, deccaperms only run at 2750 through g/box and are electrically "Dirty" and noisey.
I used to use Deccaperms in large warships as it simulated the gas turbine whine quite well.

Bob

Bob
Officially a GOG.

banjo

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2008, 09:18:56 pm »

I didn't want to buy new motors, a 48" boat won't go in my car!.... ::)

I was hoping someone would say "Yes go with the 12v Hectos...I did it in mine"

I'll wait a little longer..

Thanks for the input Bob and everyone..

alan

banjo

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2008, 11:36:58 am »

Well I went with the "Big is Better!" option.

Two Marx Hectoperms running on 12V.

In a bath test, with a 12V 12ah Yuasa sitting in the space just fwd of the motors, she sat level fore & aft with sufficient lee way to complete the installation before she gets down to her marks.

It should pull!

;D

banjo

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2008, 08:04:05 am »

O0
I have Bluebird to thank for his masterclass on the Cervia build for the next stage.

I fitted a 2mm plywood deck, using Z-Poxy 30 minute adhesive.   This was installed as normal inside and "level" with the top of the shell of the hull.   Weighed down with batteries etc it was left to cure overnight.   I then smoothed off any protruding deck edges.
I had some plastic safety notices, redundant from a closing warehouse, 2mm X 45mm X 33mm.   Using two of these I have fixed them, using the same adhesive, over the plywood.   This time smoothing any protruding side edges.   Together this has formed a fine, firm deck.
I will follow the same build line as the masterclass to fit the bulwarks then cut out the various deck openings.

The result in pics below.

meechingman

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tugs Rule, OK!
    • Andrew Gilbert
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2008, 09:25:00 am »

Well, with those motors, I don't think I'll be going into a tug of war contest with yours and mine, Banjo! We could always get you to tow the entire bunch of pedalos out of the way when the fast electric guys need more room.

Still waiting for a suitable gap in the weather for sea trials. Yesterday would have been ideal, but work spoiled that idea. Looks like next week sometime.

banjo

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2008, 09:36:08 am »

O0
Thanks for the input Meechingman, I was beginning to think I had been "blackballed"

The reason behind the motors...I didn't want to have to buy new 6V batteries for the DecaPerms, I had the Hectoperms and lots of 12V batteries, I also have a Fleet Speetmaster FPS-24B ESC which seems able to handle any load I throw at it.
I hope it will "sit down" when under "full ahead" and get the stern wet! (see pic below)

;)

banjo

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2008, 09:49:28 am »

Fitting the bulwarks..
Bluebird fits brass pins as a fixing and guide.
The original Smit kit provided supports with a tongue on the bottom which fitted, like a "blind tennon joint" into the deck.  I have some of these.  I wondered how difficult it would be to cut the "mortice".   I thought 2 small holes close together then "cleaned up" would suffice....

Comments?

O0

banjo

« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2008, 11:26:49 am »

Thanks to Bluebird for his advice.
I am using a mixture of brass pinned and mortice and tennon to fit the bulwarks.
I soaked off the "useful" bits from the the old deck and have used those as templates.   The "plastic" is an old redundant fire emergency "way out" arrow sign.  So far so good!

banjo

Gravity Powered Wood bending Smit Nederland rebuild
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2008, 05:33:36 pm »

O0

Wood bending..while you wait...(weight)

meechingman

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tugs Rule, OK!
    • Andrew Gilbert
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2008, 11:32:25 pm »

Finally made it over to Princes Park this afternoon for Denton's sea trials. Very pleased with the results.  O0

She's a bit faster than I thought and those Becker rudders make her turn very sharply indeed. Not too much roll though, even on a high speed turn. I've gone for twin stick operation so far and she needs just a touch ahead and astern on opposite motors to spin, and adding rudder makes her turn on the spot.

I have to adjust the ballast just a little but other than that, she's all done.

Andy

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2008, 01:32:12 am »

Very nice work you've done there, looks very clean  O0

Looking forward to seeing the performance of those Marx motors, I have two Decaperms in 6v awaiting a future undecided tug project??? Always liked this kit!!!

Voyager

Captain Povey

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2008, 07:48:33 am »

Hi, She looks great.  O0 I hope mine performs as well on its maiden voyage?  8) Whenever that is). What adjustments will you have to make to the ballast? I was advised to make her slightly high at the stern if towing. Cheers Graham

banjo

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2008, 07:52:21 am »

O0
Thanks Boys,

Andy it looks super, if I can get mine near that standard I shall be happy.....

The Marx motors perform beautifully. if they do so in this hull we will have to wait and see....

Cornwall Model boats offer them as part of a "motorizing" package for their models.  Expensive..but then they are the Rolls Royce option. (IMHO)

I have got the portside bulwarks stuck on..more pics to come.

banjo

« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2008, 08:05:13 am »

Andy
I have an F14 Navy, I wasn't considering using it on this model, but now I shall.
Anyone got a bucshee RX for F14 they want to sell?

Were you thinking of lowering it just a little?  The planned waterline does n't give much freeboard, which is why I have changed the decking plan somewhat.   At the moment I got a solid top on it!   That will be the next trauma..cutting out the various hatch openings..wherever...

O0

meechingman

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tugs Rule, OK!
    • Andrew Gilbert
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2008, 08:36:23 am »

Thanks for the kind comments.

As well as the 'main' ballast, I've got a few lead fishing weights blu-tacked in place. I have to add a touch on the starboard side to take out a very slight list to port. The other thing is to lighten the bow a tad. The bath test seemed to show her riding a little high so I added a couple of small weights to counteract this. On the lake, it looked like I've put a little too much in, so one weight will come out before next time.

Next winter's projects (already in mind) include fitting a bow thruster (not that she needs it) and, just possibly, a new inner deck and superstructure, so I can swap identities at will.

Until then, I'm going to enjoy her as she is.  ;D

Andy

banjo

« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2008, 10:50:37 am »

Well.....
Here we are with the port side bulwark affixed.   Its beginning to look like a model and less like a bit of old scrap....

banjo

« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2008, 01:52:16 pm »

Bulwarks on...a splash of undercoat..and "Hi Ern..You can't see the joint!"

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 22 queries.