Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: A few cannon balls short of a broadside Smit Nederland rebuild  (Read 11665 times)

meechingman

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tugs Rule, OK!
    • Andrew Gilbert
Re: A few cannon balls short of a broadside Smit Nederland rebuild
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2008, 04:11:35 pm »

A lot better than mine were, rather a lot of filler and sanding to try to rectify them, and even now they're not as good as yours.

Looking at that plan behind the tug Banjo, are the bottoms of the anchors supposed to be below the waterline, then?

Andy
Admiral of the Haven Towage Fleet.

banjo

« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2008, 07:13:18 pm »

O0
Yes!
I mentioned in my post above..."are you thinking of lowering it just a little"....

meechingman

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tugs Rule, OK!
    • Andrew Gilbert
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2008, 10:08:24 pm »

Ah, now I follow your drift! Thanks for posting the pic of the plans.  O0

No, If anything I'll raise the bow very slightly like I said. There aren't that many clear pix of this class of tug on the net (at least that I can find) but those I have seen seem to show the bows slightly higher and the anchor housing above the waterline. In fact I'm trying hard to think of any tugs I've seen where the anchors have been partly underwater. All a question of ballasting in real life and in scale too.

Andy

banjo

« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2008, 12:06:31 pm »

The Bulwarks now having been fitted and given a coat of undercoat,   I cut out the first hatch opening.   This will have a combing fitted and the "deckhouse" will sit over.   It is large enough to allow access for a 12V 12Ah Gel Cell.

An unexpected bonus during the "cutting out" was the opportunity to view the deck section which assured me that the "plastic", that I glued over the plywood decking had adhered well.

banjo

« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2008, 06:10:50 pm »

:)

The hatches for access to the steering and drive line opened up and awaiting trimming.   When the "lids" are fitted they should be unobtrusive (I hope) as there is plenty of gear about the stern to help disguise them

banjo

« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2008, 11:49:54 pm »

I have fitted the combing on the fore hatch, simple halving joints at the corners.
I will have to "adjust" the bottom of the deckhouse to snug fit this combing. The Civic pond in BasingGrad doesn't get very rough....If I am to venture abroad, may be Wales lookyou even, then I am led to believe it gets so wet there that boats have been known to founder!!! I can also fit a "lid" to this for any rough weather sailing... {-)

Ah well on with the motley

O0

banjo

« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2008, 04:16:23 pm »

Fitting the deckhouse...
When I first considered re decking this old wreck, and to move away from the long single hatch, the size of the deckhouse base really governed what I could do.
The original measurement from the deckhouse base I used to site the strengthening x beams in the hull.   These then governed the size of the hatch opening and now the deckhouse sits snugly in place over the hatchway.

banjo

« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2008, 04:25:24 pm »

The internal width of the deckhouse had to be widened a little.   I have fitted a lip to the forward combing of the hatch and the deckhouse snugs up to the combing under this. ( A more substantial lip will be fitted later)
The pics show the old deckhouse with a coating of thin plasticard over the old wood work.
I will fit some sort of latching mechanism to the aft of the deckhouse when I can think of one.
So far so good....
 ;D

banjo

On the water at BasingGrad Smit Nederland rebuild
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2008, 04:39:41 pm »

;D
It floats!  The H2O stayed on the outside!

Some work to do on the superstructure now.....

8)

Captain Povey

« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2008, 04:53:48 pm »

Congratulations on the successful trial launch.  O0 You are now ahead of me as I have only managed to float mine in the bath and just as well I did as I found out that it leaked.  :o Anyway despite paying to join the local model boat club I still have not managed to get there yet and do any 'sea' trials.  :'( Cheers Graham

catengineman

« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2008, 04:55:14 pm »

Nice build keep up the great work

R,

meechingman

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tugs Rule, OK!
    • Andrew Gilbert
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2008, 08:48:24 pm »

Glad to see that the first sea trials went OK and you have a dry tug. Look forward to seeing the rest of the build.

banjo

« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2008, 01:25:47 pm »

O0

Thanks for the input, much appreciated.

I found this badge, see pic, amongst my bits and pieces; it will fit nicely into the forward hawse (through which I noticed a lot of water comes inboard)

Smit Nederland re build is now the tug BASING-GRAD

{-)

PS It will also mean I don't have to stick rigidly to the plans!

banjo

Re: Smit Nederland rebuild Waterline & superstructure mods
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2008, 12:09:41 pm »

This may be an "old hat" picture to some but it clearly shows the load marks.   We have had some discussion in this thread about the waterline and the way  Nederland "sits"

It is also worth noting that the port side "stairway" has vanished, the "half way up" landing now has some gubbins connected to a Foam proportionator at that level.

I am guesssing that this pic was a passage photo and Nederland was bound for some new station.

banjo

« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2008, 11:01:45 pm »

Whilst the hull is drying(curing) I thought I'd do a bit on the superstructure.

The first pic just to remind myself what I started with...and the other two where I've got to so far......

banjo

« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2008, 07:36:49 pm »

Smit Nederland in its new paint job...
The deck to be attended to and the superstructure finished off, its all a bit too new but the final task, and the longest, will be the weathering.   A long way to go yet.

Before & after....

banjo

« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2008, 04:54:56 am »

Re Decking Smit Nederlands seems to be catching.....

I shall watch OldIron 's new thread to see how he does it...

::)

banjo

« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2008, 02:29:03 pm »

Meanwhile........ Did a bit on the deck....a touch of paint...  thats the hydraulic winch being tried for size...and the lazy mans hatch covers over the steering and the steering servo...I will fit proper flush lids later. 
There are Bits and hawse still to fit and some other "furniture"

There is the "before" picture..

banjo

« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2008, 12:27:09 pm »

Now for some electrics.....
An ESC for each motor, a power distribution board and a fuse board that glows!

The components were tested out of the boat, adding one unit at a time to the circuit.   Everything that should glowed and hummed, but no action....I was using a 8 channel RX without the crystal!!, the real one was hiding under the mess on the bench.   It all went perfectly after I had changed the RX.

I have mounted all the gizmos on a piece of perspex, using computer board "standoffs" for the power panel and the fuse board.   The ESC are on the other side fixed with "stickies"

The board will be fixed in the square of the hatch under the superstructure.   Power board and fuses uppermost.

OMK

« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2008, 12:43:17 pm »

Blimey - where have I been all this time?
I didn't realise you were building that baby. VERY nice!

Regarding the fuzzy photos, if I'm not sticking my oar in where it's not wanted, do you have a macro button on your camera? Would the close-up images be less blurry if'n it were on? No offence meant - it's just that I had the same problem until some wag told me where I was going wrong.

On a slightly different note, do you mind if I ask you a personal question?
Your handle. Do you play the banjo?

Very nice work, Sir. Take a bow/bo'/bough.

banjo

« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2008, 12:59:41 pm »

{-)
Which fuzzy pic? There are no macro buttons on a kodak brownie........
Perhaps I ought to go to spec savers

I have an insatiable liking for egg & bacon sarnies, banjos in the Army, someone noticed!!

OMK

« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2008, 01:36:43 pm »

Ah, THAT sort of banjo. In that case I stand corrected. But if by some quirk of fate you should happen to know anyone that plays a 4-string or 5-string version, then puh-leeease kindly put me in touch.

Anyway, don't let me stop you from the real thing (don't forget the Daddies sauce and loads of pepper). Enjoy IT and your build..........

banjo

« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2008, 12:41:46 pm »

I have done some work on the superstructure.
Stanchions and rails....I have constructed them in situ...I will lay on the top rail and firm it all up with a touch of solder... (he said nonchalantly...prolly will be a disaster...watch this space)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.