Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Deans Marine Mastif model - how would you rate it?  (Read 2974 times)

ddraigmor

Deans Marine Mastif model - how would you rate it?
« on: March 19, 2008, 09:42:46 pm »

I am giving a lot of thought to building the Dean's Marine kit 'Mastif' - a small twin screw tug at 1/72 or 1/75th scale.

Not an experienced modeller. Just re-built an ex 'Zwarte Zee' I bought off here ages back that will never sail - mainly due to wrong fitting of bilge keels and a definitely non-watertight hull. The bilge keels cannot come off to be replaced / removed as if I did they'd tear the ABS hull. However, I did manage to re-build (and tidy up) the boat and re-painted her in Holyhead Towing Colours as 'Afon Goch'. Fictional but as I was on the real thing, it makes a great static model!

Some not very good shots follow - but you get the idea!

Click on thumbs to enlarge.

Basically, I replaced all the stanchions and railings, the boats, added a few mods, re-did a few windows (that were not square) did some small detailing and generally tidied up what had been a fair model into something I am pretty pleased with.

However, I want a sailing RC one now! I like the look of the Deans marine kit but as a below average modeller - ie. not a lot of experience - would this kit be suitable? I want something that looks like a tug and can be super detailed. I don't want to go and get an RTR although it is tempting. If anyone has any knowledge of the 'Mastif' kit, can they provide me with some details?

Is it easy to assemble - I don't want to be cutting bulkheads out! I would like something that you can vasically build from the box like a giant airfix kit in a way.........so any ideas? Definitely something fit for a beginner!

Jonty

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
Re: Deans Marine Mastif model - how would you rate it?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 10:28:15 pm »

ddraigmore,
The problems with a compact kit such as Mastif is obviously the lack of space within the hull.
This makes fitting out far more awkward and ballasting crucial.
I don't know this particular kit but the size will also dictate when she can sail.
These detract from the main advantages of building model tugs which are a reasonable amount of room inside the hull and not having to be so fussy with a light build as they usually have a lot of water to displace to get down to the waterline.
In my opinion if funds are limited I would rather go for a second hand kit of a larger tug and finish that.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Deans Marine Mastif model - how would you rate it?
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 11:02:52 pm »

hi
deans kits are good. I only have one, MV Celestine. They use a lot of plastic card which is easy to use, scalpel steel rule and some cement and hay presto . As for value for money, well 1st it depends on what you call expensive. Take the mv Celestine once you remove her big hull there not much more than a few sheet of plastic card , few box's of fittings some brass etched sheet. Not much for her price tag but then you have to add in deans time in designing the kit. so all in all it ant to bad for value for money.I would have to agree with shipmate 60 comment and look at second hand models. There are some bargens and some dogs out there so be care full.

john
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 21 queries.