Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HFM/Jotika ORSV - query  (Read 4446 times)

ddraigmor

HFM/Jotika ORSV - query
« on: March 21, 2008, 01:20:40 pm »

I've posted a previous query regarding what boat next - but have recently been to see a friend who had a model of an ORSV made by HFM / Jokita. He has absolutely butchered it - I'm a beginner but oh dear, I'd do better than that! - and to the extent that whilst I was interested in the bbasic shape, what attracted me was the fact that it looks very simple to build - but allows for a huge number of possibilities.

It is basically an '80's period ORSV. A closed stern could be opened to add a roller, making it an AHTS possibility - but also it could equally be a stand-by ship (now called ERRV), straight supply ship, salvage ship.....it looks like it could be easily superdetailed - lots of scope - and might even lend itself to twin screw rather than the single it has currently, although that would not be an issue for me in truth.

I am tempted. It's cheap and looks pretty good. Anyone any experience of building it? Are there issues - or is it fairly simple? Has anyone built one? Also, what is the approximate scle?

Any help, I'd be eternally grateful!

Jonty

hama

Re: HFM/Jotika ORSV - query
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 10:00:50 pm »

Hello ddraigmor.
I'm glad to see someone else being interested in this fine vessel.
I built one of these two years ago and i liked it a lot. I don't know have to make a link, but please check my threads about my boat if you haven't seen them yet. Under Modelboats there is "Rough weather" and "Disaster, with happy ending", under Tugs, trawlers etc, in the builds section there is "My ORSV" where i explain some of the stuff in my boat. Check these out and then I'll be glad to try and answer your questions if I can be of any help.
Hama.

ddraigmor

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 11:04:32 pm »

Hama,

Well you've made my mind up and I will now definitely get one! Looks like she could be very well detailed. So yes, I have some questions! The scale at 1.87 or thereabouts means I can purchase various fittings so that is a good start! The questions I would like to ask you are as follows:

1 - Wheelhouse. How hard is it to cut the windows out? I presume they are not cut out on the model?

2 - Single screw stays - but what sort of flap rudder did you fit? Is the one supplied any good?

3 - Bow thruster. How well does she handle without one? Or would you suggest fitting one in?

4 - Can you supply a simplified wiring diagram to show how you powered her and what you used? I think she has a 540 motor - did you use that or change it? What ESC did you use etc.

I'll wait to hear what you come up with but already I am thinking along the lines of giving this one a go. Lots of time and the UK price is £66 from JoKita but I might be able to get it slightly cheaper elsewhere.

I plan to model her as a typical craft from the late '70s - early '80's, which gives me great scope! Seaforth. Ocean Inchcape, Star Offshore, Offshore Marine, Wimpey - all these companies were in force when I was offshore in that period - I worked for Ocean Inchcape, Star Offshore on PSV's and AHTS so possibly one of them two!

Many thanks!

Jonty

hama

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2008, 06:10:31 pm »

Hi Jonty!
I'll see if I can answer your questions, perhaps I'll have to come back later with some pics.
I cant say its a good kit really, but I'm more than happy with the end result. I think it's a very nice hull and the parts for deck and superstructure are ok too. There are two options for funnels. The supplied prop was a joke, a two bladed high speed prop. The rudder was way from scale. I use a fourbladed 35mm brassprop. I use a SPEED 280 motor and reduction gear as i thought the supplied motor looked a bit big, I'm very pleased with the speed and power but its a bit noisy. The flaprudder is homemade, I used a LEGO hinge as a base. She steers very well with this and make sharp turns. I fitted a homemade bowthruster, you don't need it but I think you should fit one for the fun of it and because the real ones have it. I saw that Raeboush make nice ones at a fair price. It would be fun to make a twin prop version, but I was in a bit of a hurry so I used the supplied shaft. Cutting out the windows was quite easy, I put masking tape on the plastic, meassured out my windows, drilled holes in the corners and cut them out. A little filing to get them equal. There is no drawing at all so you make it totally your own way, I liked it because there is absolutely no pressure, pure joy! A little bit like with the Dicky tugs I think. There are probably many of these vessels out there, would be fun to see what they look like. Well thats it for now, will be back with some photos.
Cheers!
Hama

ddraigmor

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2008, 06:50:41 pm »

Hama,

Many thanks for the replies - yes, I'll look forward to the photos and to the hints given. If I can work out what you mean by the flap rudder from the photos, it makes sense to have a go and replace the kit one. I would probably keep the Kort but was thinking of fitting vanes behind it - rather like some single screw tugs have to increase both pull and increase turning circle. A tug I was on many years ago had two - one either side of the main ruidder which was fixed to the Kort - and she was very manouverable.

The deck aft could benefit from a wooden sheath but that's for much later. Also, the scale might be hard to get bits for but not impossible.

I will order the kit on Monday or Tuesday and see when it arrives and when it gets here, take a good look at it. I am sure we can work something out on making it look 'better' than the standard kit!

Thank you for replying Hama, I appreciate it!

Jonty

hama

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2008, 07:57:34 pm »

Hello again.
So you've worked in the offshore industry, well even though I work at sea myself I've never been there. Actually, for the last 8-9 years I've been working inshore!! Seems very interesting place to work, amazing vessels, lucky you. Now that I have my own supply vessel I am a cruel and mad captain, I only go to sea if the weather is really bad and then go full ahead against the seas! Wouldn't be long in the game if it was for real!
Maybe I was a bit hard when I said it's not a good kit. It's obviously a semi-kit and aimed for beginners, so with some experience you can make it all you want. And her seakeeping ability is outstanding!
Some more thoughts: The big rear hatch has a small coaming. With some vaseline on it it's waterproof. I therefore choose to keep this hatch with some woodstrips  on but as it's raised from the deck it's off scale. If you want it more realistic you have to make your own flush hatch. My hatch is secured with six brass screws. I have a small access hatch on the winch house where I put switches for radio and lights/radar, only use this one on the lakeside.

Here are some pics, I'll try to get a better one of the interior later.
Have a nice weekend!
Hama

Red_Hamish

• Full Mayhemer
  • Have a wee dram and enjoy life
    • Edinburgh Model Boat Club
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2008, 09:40:28 pm »

Hello Hama, thanks for posting thes pics. I too like the look of this ship amd may contemplate making one in future.

cheers

Jim
Visit www.paddleducks.co.uk & www.edinburghmodelboatclub.org.uk for all your model boating needs!
See what life is all about www.visitshetland.com/sumburgh-airport-live-video This is the pace of life that the doctors prescribe, so laid back that you

ddraigmor

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2008, 11:49:58 pm »

Hama,

Yes, I worked offshore for many years - prevuious to that I was on deep sea salvage tugs and harbour / sea going tugs. I worked for Ocean Inchcape Limited (OIL) on anchor handlers and a dive ship, with TNT-Sealion on straight supply, Star Offshore on supply and I did one trip on a stand-by ship! I also did temporary work for Farstad, under the British flag. They were good days - but this was before days of karm forks and the like - real roughie-toughie stuff! I worked 'inshore' as well - but on Ministry of Defence boats with civilian crews and was also a crew member of my local lifeboat crwew too. The sea has always been in my blood!

I'm ashore now - have been for the past 15 years as I was medically discharged.

You have done a good job on the model - she looks really good and if I can get mine anywhere near enough to what you have then I will be pleased!

You have a nice weekend too - oh and if you want to see many types of ship photos, join www.shipsnostalgia.com - it's free - and look for my gallery on there which contain pictures of all my ships and some of the drawings I have done of them too. My name on there is ddraigmor.

Jonty

hama

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2008, 10:07:03 am »

Hi there!
Seems you had a very interesting life at sea, I will definitely check out that site. And to you and Red Hamish, please show pictures of your builds when its time, I will follow this thread with great interest!
Hama

ddraigmor

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2008, 12:26:48 pm »

Hama,

I ordered the kit from JoKita today - they said I was lucky as it was the last they had in stock! I have decided to do her in OIL colours - Ocean Inchcape Limited (a company I worked for) and to be named 'Oil Tender' as all OIL ships ended with 'er'.

I'll foucus on building her up first, getting her prepared and see what fittings are available. Maybe have some trouble getting 1/87th - unless you know of a supplier? Or possibly could get away with 1/96th?

For power, I am undecided. I know that MFA do power packs - the Torpedo 500 pack looks about right as it is all wired up and I guess I would just need servo, RX and TX? Although there is the same pack available with a 6:1 gearbox. I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts on this type of installation - suitability etc, lay out, what is needed in addition and what would be recommended!

Hopefully, build first and then see what is available for running her!

Wonder if Red Hamish got his....?

Jonty

Red_Hamish

• Full Mayhemer
  • Have a wee dram and enjoy life
    • Edinburgh Model Boat Club
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2008, 06:04:59 pm »

Hello all, not yet Jonty. I'm on the wrong side of the border this week and paying far too much for internet access! These hotels don't half know how to charge don't they. Maybe up in town on Saturday and I'll see if there is still one on the shelf.

cheers

Jim
Visit www.paddleducks.co.uk & www.edinburghmodelboatclub.org.uk for all your model boating needs!
See what life is all about www.visitshetland.com/sumburgh-airport-live-video This is the pace of life that the doctors prescribe, so laid back that you

hama

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2008, 11:22:39 pm »

Jonty, good to hear the "Oil Tender" is on her way. As for power, there is a motor connected to the shaft and a motormount in the kit. If your not a chicken like me you might as well try it with another prop, maybe it works. As for fittings, I just took what I had and even made some bits myself. I was lucky with the stanchions, i picked up a bag of already made ones in my hobbyshop very cheap. Somebody had ordered them but never collected, they are Graupner ones at 1:75. Just a little too big, but I think it works.
Cheers!

ddraigmor

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2008, 12:18:44 am »

Hama,

She should be here tomorrow - JoTika don't charge P&P for the UK and the man said it would be here before 3pm, so I am looking forward to it!

I might well try the shaft and motor providing I can get a 4 bladed one on the end - but I am not experienced with setting up RC so we will have to see! I think the same scale fittings I used on a rebuild of the 'Afon Goch' (ex 'Zwarte Zee') at 1/96 might well do. There is little difference between the 1/87 and the 1/96 visually for things like bitts, radars etc.

Hamish, good luck! I hope that you manage to get involved. I have taken copies of the funnel logos of OIL and Star Offshore (both companies I worked for) so she could end up as the 'Oil Trader' 'Oil Raider' or even a 'Star' boat!  I find that copying them and scaling them down with a programme like MS Paint, then sharpening them up with something like Irfan View before printing them off on good quality paper and laminating them works. They are then stuck on. 

We'll see - I'll report when I get the kit!

Jonty

ddraigmor

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2008, 06:56:27 pm »

Argh......... >>:-( cut too much on the forepart and have shaved off a length of the bulwark.  :( .....not unsalvageable - should be ok with some TLC and an addition of plasticard - but it's gone back in the box in disgust at the moment while I kick myself for being so dozy with a brand new scalpel blade.  :embarrassed:

Not a happy chappy at the mo!

Jonty

hama

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2008, 08:02:39 pm »

Hi Jonty!
Sorry to hear about your mishap. Hope you catch up soon, would love to see another ORSV on here. Dont give up!
Hama.

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2008, 08:50:07 pm »

Jonty
Check you E-mail - I've sent you some stuff.
FLJ

ddraigmor

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2008, 09:19:43 pm »

FLJ,

Ta for that - seems to be very descriptive and hopefully easy to understand when I dig her out of the box for a refit! I have some ideas - I reckon that some half round channel might do with some filler on the inside and bring the deck to it. We'll see

I am going to leave her until the winter and see how I get on with another sinmpler project first. If that runs OK then I will have a better idea - and better experience - to look at her again.

What is it they say? Oft a slip betwixt scalpel and idiots?  {-)

Jonty
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 22 queries.