Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: drying methods for spray paint  (Read 6035 times)

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
    • goole model boat club indi site
drying methods for spray paint
« on: March 22, 2008, 10:17:20 pm »

Started to turn the white hull on my new tug a mix of red oxide and black with a couple of cans of car spray paint.
Now i know the basics from watching others and reading on here about preparation preparation preparation ,if you start with a clean hull thats been keyed with wire wool and then wiped down with a clean cloth and solvent (i use menthol Ethyl ketone,MEK) then you can't go too far wrong .
my problem is HEATING or the lack of it so when it comes to spraying i use the paint stripper method ,What's e up to ,i here you ask ??.
Well as with spraying i understand the rule is light coats and many of them ,and in the perfect environment thats OK as the solvent in the paint will have evaporated by the time you have turned the hull around whilst spraying so you wont have to wait long before applying the next coat . My workshop is cold and the paint wont dry once i have been round the hull so i use the electric paint stripper gun to evaporate the solvent and dry the paint ,now this method works for me and has done over at least 6 of my models and the paint is still attached ,apart from where i have scratched it off (plastic hulls and concrete don't mix) .
Now i am allways ready to try a new way of spraying ,is there a better way .
PS i do warm the spray cans up with hot water first.
daz
I like to build my boats to play with, not to just look pretty, so they dont !

Faraday's Cage

• Full Mayhemer
  • Change is inevitable, except from a drinks machine
Re: drying methods for spray paint
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 10:09:08 am »

My garage has no form of heating and if possible I spray outdoors during the summer. Sometimes its necessary to spray during the colder months of the year.  My method is to use a hairdryer to warm the HULL first. I keep the spray cans indoors at room temperature for a couple of days before spraying and then use the hairdryer again on the new paint a few minutes after it has been applied taking care to keep the h/dryer moving so as not to get the new paint too hot.

Some may disagree with my method but it works for me.

FC

dms toucan

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 11:57:23 am »

I always use a hairdryer on the hull before painting it seems to give a better result but I also place the paint spray cans in
warm water before I use them,
Martin

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 01:58:47 pm »

this seams to be the way to go for those of us that are not fortunate enough to have a dedicated spray booth .
I use the paint stripper cos swimbo would not be amused if i  took her hair dryer into the workshop , like messers Faraday and toucan i also warm the hull but this tends to be a method of removing any dust and bits from the surface .
Been into the workshop this morning and the red oxide looks well ,i did think about putting the black on the upper hull but after a frustrated search i could not find the tape for masking off ,i would have used general masking tape but the paint tends to bleed under the line and i don't think i will be putting a trim line along the waterline if i was then tape would surfice.
I am sure there is someone on here with some advice that would benefit us novices O0
daz 

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2008, 02:22:54 pm »

Put on the masking tape Daz and spray with your original colour. Any bleeding will be the same colour. Next spray with you new colour. No bleeding.

Works for me . O0
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Stavros

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2008, 03:15:31 pm »

portside II right this is the PROPER of masking two tone hulls it is 100% foolproof it is what PROPER paint sprayer use for two colours.

1 get hold of either of the following,1/4" electrical tape,ordinary insulating tape or better still PROPER fine line tape usually
   available from Motor paint factors

2 Apply one of the above along the desired area that needs a straight line,rub well into the hull to stick it down

3 Apply ordinary masking tape 2mm over the above tape

4 Mask up the rest of the hull with prefferably BROWN paper,reason for BROWN paper is simple there is no chance of the print
  comming off and ruening your other paint work,and more so there is no holes in it!!!! for paint to bleed through

5 De mask within 10mins of final coat,DO NOT LEAVE ON OVERNIGHT,when removing tape whether be it fine line etc remove
  at roughly 45degrees back on it's self being CAREFULL not to get it stuck on to the rest of the hull,yes it happens to me!!!!!

6 This is where you have to be extremely brave and a steady hand,choose a finger!!!! make sure it is 1000000000000000000%
    CLEAN and I mean CLEAN now quickly and I mean light pressure run it along the join in the paint this will settle that join down
    and give virtually a flat join that will not be fragmented but straight and true

Trust me I know I have been painting cars and vans with various different colours etc and have NEVER had a problem with paint bleed through don't believe me then give Tug Kenny a pm he has done it on his Boston Typhon and other boats,and has not had a problem.Yes others will tell you their ways,yes the way DickyD has quoted works but believe you me this is the foolproof way of doing it and a GUARANTEED way of doing things

Stavros

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2008, 03:30:33 pm »

good owld Stavros ,allways on the ball ,me i am still looking for the propper roll of masking tape ,i didnt know you could use elecky insulation tape i thought it would be too tacky and pull the first coat of paint from the lower hull (red oxide) but like you said mask it spray it and remove it for clean lines .
I think i will have a go at softening the edge on a test piece before going ahead on the hull  ,still if i get it wrong i can allways cover the edge up with trim line  :angel:
cheers Stavros ,i could have P.M'd you for advice but then nobody would have seen your reply on here  O0 .
daz

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2008, 03:48:59 am »

Is there more than one type of electirc tape?

Reason I ask is I read that somebody had a problem with it stickong to well to get it off and damaging the paint underneath. And the post above hints at it being very sticky.

But I have always found that electiric tape had low adhesive qualities.

Is there more than one type of electirc tape?
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2008, 10:00:33 am »

I think what is being referred to here is standard insulating tape which is relatively low tack. You can of course get lots of other types of tape which are stickier and could strip the surface off!

Stavros

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2008, 01:26:53 pm »

Tiger Tiger I have been using insulating tape from various shops be it Halfords,B&Q etc for years and have NEVER had any paint lifting.paint lifting off a Model or what ever is caused by one thing and one thing alone POOR PREPARATION there is no excuse for it.Perpare properfly and you have no problem

Stavros

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2008, 01:34:33 pm »

Tiger Tiger I have been using insulating tape from various shops be it Halfords,B&Q etc for years and have NEVER had any paint lifting.paint lifting off a Model or what ever is caused by one thing and one thing alone POOR PREPARATION there is no excuse for it.Perpare properfly and you have no problem

Stavros

Hi Stavros
I have never had problems, touch wood.
But this is the second time I have seen negative comments about electircal tape.

I am just thinking that others may be using a different type of tape.
The only tape I could think of was insulating tape. Which is 'low-tack'.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Stavros

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2008, 04:52:37 pm »

Thats why we use it because it is LOW TACK AND WILL NOT PULL PAINT OFF

Stavros

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2008, 04:59:01 pm »

Stavros , i have been in the workshop this aft prep'd the hull for the black top coat and masked off with some cheepy insulation tape and commenced spraying.
The spraying done and the tape removed and all is well nice clean lines and a gentile rub with me finger to soften the edge  O0 .
pics to follow with my build.thanks Stavros   {-) .
daz

Stavros

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2008, 09:23:43 pm »

Phew another satisfied customer,glad that I am of osme use to someone, will pm my add so you can send the customary £5 ;D

Stavros

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2008, 10:28:43 pm »

no problem mate ,just forward it to BobF and he will sort it  O0  {-) .
daz

Damien

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2008, 12:04:55 am »

I have a bank of 3 Heat lamps 150 watts each with red lenses similar to those Chemist shops sell, (globes should be available at h/ware or elec stores) and placed about 2ft from model works well.
One of the tricks i taught airbrush technique to unemployed youth, was to rub masking tape across edge of bench to remove some of tack and after placing on model or car, rub firmly with flat of fingernail along paint line this stops bleed every time. If you are using Acrylic or Enamel thinners these will soften the adhesive of the masking tape making it easy to remove after 10-15 mins.
If using Enamel paints in colder weather adding a little  "Terabine" will speed drying considerably.
Cheers Damien

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2008, 08:39:32 pm »

Please excuse my ignorance. What's Terabine and where would I get it?

Doug
Don't Assume Check

Stavros

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2008, 10:26:20 pm »

Right then let me enlighten you Terabine is in fact a drier for us in Oil based paints,varnishes but is not suitable for use in 2 pack or water based paints see link below
http://www.feastwatson.com.au/SpecialtyTerebine.asp

As far as I can see it is available in Australia
And low and behold where does Damien live yes you guessed it Auz

Stavros

gribeauval

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tidy Bench -Tidy Mind, Messy Bench - BUSY!!
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2008, 10:34:30 pm »

It's also available in the UK in most Art Shops in small quantities.  8)
True Lifeboat Nutter!!

Stavros

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2008, 10:36:48 pm »

Ok clever sod!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Did not find that on Google O0

stavros

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2008, 10:41:34 pm »

Dave
just as a thought Damien wrote about a bank of three heat lamps used as an aid to drying ,
now i have one of these halogen type heat lamps that give off a redy orange glow and heat the objects in the light and not the air  ,would one of these be of use for me when spraying to aid in drying ,i know in the winter it would keep me warm {-)
daz

Stavros

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2008, 11:07:13 pm »

Yes of course it will BUT be carefull as they are not vapour proof.But I must admit that I have used then in the car trade for years.personally I think the main thing to watch out for is that you have the lamp switch on prior to the commencement of painting,simply for the reason things are less likely to go BANG when they are allready switched on than when they are off.Dare I say it I have used a industrial paraffin blow heater as heating in a garage when painting at home for years and got away with it simply because I allways left the door ajar and left it running when spraying.But of course as you well know it is not the safest thing to do,but hey I am still here just O0

This is a personal observation and should not be taken as gospel as I can and will NOT be held legally responsable if it goes Horribly wrong.

Lets face it anything can be dangerous in the wrong hands.Think before you do it

Stavros

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2008, 11:09:02 pm »

And ABS boats dont like heat , they sag

Peter

Damien

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2008, 11:51:25 pm »

And ABS boats dont like heat , they sag

Peter

Good point Peter, I mostly use Automotive Acrylics and Enamels that in the Aussie climate don't need the use of the heat lamps.
My neighbour yesterday gave me some extra large cardboard cartons that will soon become a spray booth with 6 computer fans for fume extraction salvaged from skip when my son recently moved out.
Damien.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 22 queries.