Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: VOSPER M.T.B. no 49.  (Read 10134 times)

norry

• Full Mayhemer
  • ...Get Your Tugs Out For The Bouys...
VOSPER M.T.B. no 49.
« on: July 16, 2006, 09:27:37 pm »

Hi Guys...
I have been asked by one of my mates at Largs M.B.C. if anyone has any information on a model boat that he has...
It is a VOSPER M.T.B. in 1/24 scale...It is 36 inches long and has the number 49 on the side...
He would like to know who made this kit & does anyone have any pictures of these boats...

THANKS...&... REGARDS...Norry...
...Get Your Tugs Out For The Buoys...

prinzeugen

Re: VOSPER M.T.B. no 49.
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2006, 09:47:21 pm »

Worth a try -- looking at Deansmarine or HSL Mouldings websites

Tester

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2006, 10:26:27 pm »

Quick piece of info on MTB 49, Doesn't seem to be a Vosper boat.

MTB 49    Thornycroft type.
Builder: Thornycroft (Hampton).
Ordered: 27.09.1939.
Completed: 10.04.1941.    Served at HMS Hornet (Gosport). Taken over by RASC as Meggido (1943).
Commanding Officer    04.1941-?    Lt. K.A. Cradock-Hartopp, RN [listed since 08.06.1942 at HMS Saker, though also still listed at HMS Hornet till 06.1943]
                               04.1942      T/Lt. G.A. Guthrie, RNVR
First Lieutenant    08.06.1942 - 08.1942    T/S.Lt. M.J. Pollard, RNVR

Richard

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2006, 02:57:58 pm »

Hi norry,

Are you sure that it's a kit?
There's another thread about the Thorneycrofts and the early Model Boats plan for a ply construction.

Tony H

flag-d

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2006, 04:09:03 pm »

TonyH:  Where is this thread you mention?  I may have the same boat, one my dad built in late 50's, I think from MB plans.  It is ply construction, but no hull number or other marking.

Mike

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2006, 10:23:49 am »

Hi Mike,

Twas the one you started back in June about a motor for the above.

Regards

Tony

mike_victoriabc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2006, 02:23:55 pm »

What is the difference between a MTB and a RTTL? I have a 1/24 plan and December 1958 Model Maker issue with a Vic Smeed build of this - appears to be a 68 foot boat.
Number series appears '2754'.
Curious as I've had these magazines from my father's building models in the 50's & 60's.

RickF

• Full Mayhemer
  • Black, white and buff - not grey!
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2006, 05:36:39 pm »

I'm not an expert on RAF marine craft - the nearest I ever got to one was guarding it in Aden - but the main difference between an MTB and an HSL/RTTL (High Speed Launch, later re-designated Rescue Target Towing Launch) was in function and armament.

MTBs were designed for an aggressive attack role, with heavier armament and torpedoes. HSLs were relatively lightly armed with two or three power-operated turrets designed for self-defence. In fact, the ones I remember were unarmed.

Rick

2772e

• Simon
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Sea Shall Not Have Them
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2006, 02:28:59 pm »

Mike,

2754 is indeed a RAF RTTL (Rescue and Target Towing Launch). The series one and two were 68 ft long with either twin or triple engines dependant on there build. They were used all over the world in rescue ops and a few experimental boats were built whose speeds could exceed 50 knots.  They were a Vosper design and used for Rescue and to tow objects for gunnery accuracy from the shoreline. The main difference is that the RTTL had little and somestimes no form of defending itself. It was a rescue and run vessel. They were a reactive fleet, the MTB and MGB follow similar hulls but were longer or shorter and were desiganted in supporting trade lanes and attack boats.

If its of any interest there is and example of Raf 2757 at Hendon Royal Aircraft Museum, or the film "The Sea Shall Not Have Them" has  good coverage of the RTTL series 1.

If you check my posts i have built a 1/24th and am now building a 1/12 scale version. Just search on RTTL.

Happy Hunting

Regards

Simon
Rubbin is Racin!

Bob Fox

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2006, 06:42:04 pm »

MTB 49 was a Thorneycroft boat. She carried two 21 inch tubes and a 0.5.

I am not aware of any kit ever produced for this boat, but plans were published (I think in the 1960's) in the modelling press.

I have seen a few examples of this model around, but very little in the way of information. There is certainly one photograph in existence and you might like to try John Lambert to see what info he has.

Bob

flag-d

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2006, 12:17:15 am »

The British Military Powerboat Trust (BMPT) has a forum with many very well informed participants.  Try the Motor Torpedo Boats section.  There is a thread there on Thorneycroft MTB's.

Mike

jamesdad

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2006, 04:42:38 pm »

I'm a newbie and only just come across this site. My father worked on the TTL in the late 50's in his national service at RAF Calshott. The MK2 differed from the Mk1a (four built) in size and wheelhouse differences. Plus the engine configuration. The Mk1a had three Power Napier Sea Lions (rated at 500hp each) which were later replaced with two Rolls Royce Sea Griffins rated at 1133 hp each.In 1956 the Mk2 began service. He thinks it's top speed was approaching forty knots, he does say however that they sat very low in the stern when the coal was thrown on! He's attempted a few times over the years to build the Vic Smead planned model but without success. I might have crack at it one day!

jamesdad

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2006, 06:05:36 pm »

Doh! 1700hp on the sea griffins, I mistakingly divided 3400 by three and of course the Mk2 had two engines.

cdsc123

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2006, 10:03:49 pm »

See www.hslmouldings.co.uk they are about to launch a 1/24th grp hull and fittings set for the 1939 programme Thornycroft 75.5ft MTBs49-56.The ancient ply models were from Vic Smeed plans, and are too slab sided to look like the real thing whereas the new grp hull has the correct flared shape.Save a lot of time and effort this way! I attach a service pic of MTB 49 as requested above, also a pic of the plug used for the HSL Mouldings grp hull showing the flared topsides.

Cpt MTB

• Shipmate
Re: Thornycroft M.T.B. no 49.
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2006, 08:30:16 pm »

Hi All,,

Chris here from hslmouldings.co.uk,

As the above reply states, I will be producing a hull for a Thornycroft MTB  73ft.9in @ 933mm long along with a vac form front wheelhous and fittings. To give you some idea of the fitting and vac-form please see my model of MTB34 on the webiste.

Hope to have production hulls by mid October. Any one interested please contact me through the website.

regards

Cpt MTB

Cpt MTB

• Shipmate
Re: Thornycroft MTB #49-56
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2007, 09:15:42 pm »

Hi Chris from HSL here again, ;D

Can anyone help with photos of the Thornycroft 75ft MTB's 49-56. ???

I will be building a 1:24th scale model soon, I have two plans to work from but not much in the way of photo detail.

See my website www.hslmouldings.co.uk for more details!

regards

Christopher

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2007, 09:32:15 pm »

The Vic Smeed plan for the Thornycroft MTB (No 49) was MM/337. He also did MM/530 for the 68ft Vosper RTTL 2760, both at 1/24 scale.

Cpt MTB

• Shipmate
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2007, 09:17:42 pm »

Hi all!

Just to let you know, the hull for MTB 49 will be off for moulding by the end of this month!

If anybody would like a hull kit please get in touch with me. Each semi kit will include a GRP hull, Vac-Formed Wheelhouse and a full size plan for £80.00 plus shipping!

Fittings, figures and running will be extra, although I can offer a discount on all parts required when purchased in one go!

regards

Chris

Cpt MTB

• Shipmate
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2007, 07:57:19 pm »

Hi All  ;D

Just to let you all know, the hull for tis model is now ready for sale, the price is £75.00 plus P&P to include full size plan and vac-formed wheel
house.

Please see my wedsite for photos of the hull. www.hslmouldings.co.uk

regards

Christopher
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 22 queries.