Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS Velox Torpedoboat 1:100 fully r/c  (Read 2962 times)

White Ensign

• Full Mayhemer
  • Limits must be limited!
HMS Velox Torpedoboat 1:100 fully r/c
« on: March 23, 2008, 06:39:30 pm »

Hi folks, had blown the dust from some photographs and found them. My scale 1:100 HMS Velox, fully r/c and totally scratchbuild. The total weight is 386 Grams (please don`t ask me in imperial weight...  :embarrassed:). We are talking about 68 centimeters length, 5,5cm breadth and 2,5cm deepgoing.

The hull was made in fibreglass out of a 2-part mould. Two props are powered, good enough for a scale-look-like-speed and 20 minutes on the pond. All items are scratch either, except the stanchions. They are etched and bought from a special shop.

The ruler in one photograph shows centimeters, not inches...  ::)

Even the bridge is fully equiped with alert-bell, machine telegraphs and even the speakers leading down.

Hope you`ll enjoy it. If I find some more, I`ll add it (if you want).

Jörg
When God created planet earth, he made it with 75% of water. Bet he had the modelboaters on his mind!

White Ensign

• Full Mayhemer
Re: HMS Velox Torpedoboat 1:100 fully r/c
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 10:03:09 pm »

Ha! Got it! Thankx to the internet!

386 Gramm are 13,61 oz

68 cm= 2`3"

5,5cm= 2,1 "

:D
When God created planet earth, he made it with 75% of water. Bet he had the modelboaters on his mind!

farrow

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 11:33:15 pm »

I like the model, brilliant.

Roger in France

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 05:59:16 am »

Looks great and that Victorian livery is far superior to the modern flat, grey.

Incidentally, when photographing a model on the bench if you put an everyday object (such as a pen) next to it this allows others to gain a sense of scale.

Roger in France.

White Ensign

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 08:29:51 am »

Hi Roger and the rest of the gang- picked up the opportunity and made a photograph with a lighter beside. Hope that helps to recon....
Also some details added, unfortunately it`s a hard thing to make good photographs of a black boat. Details will disappear or, if you bright `em up, they will look dusty...

The only access to the model is the "somewhat"-superstructure, 12x 1/2 inch. Once what`s in has to work until the very end. And it does since now 5 years with no problems. The only item which might be changed is the Nicad and the chrystal. But for that you need a lense and a tweezer....

Jörg

Edward Pinniger

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plastic Ship Kit Previews
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 06:41:59 pm »

Very impressive work, and looks great on the water!
I've also scratchbuilt a model of Velox, in 1/96 scale as a waterline static display model (my skills aren't yet up to building a watertight full hull). You can see some photos of the completed model here: http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=24567&start=105

How does the boat perform on the water? I was wondering what the steering and stability characteristics of such a long + thin hull would be, especially in a relatively small (by R/C boat standards) model.

White Ensign

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2008, 07:35:25 pm »

Hi Edward, your Velox looks also very good. How did you have made the hull?

Her appearance on the water has a bit of a cork, dancing on the surface when windy. Definately a boat for calm conditions. But I don`t have any problems with leakage as the only access to the hull is the small "Superstructure" on the top of the boiler-room. She rides waves like the origin, sometimes it`s a bit frightning- but stable. The only trouble is, that her props come out of the water and she has no power which stabilises her when in waves.
Steering is not a problem, the turning circle is 2 times her length- what has made me a bit wonder. But Torpedoboats had been never meant for curvages... :-).

Most important thing is, to keep all the "weight", like NiMh`s, Speedcontroler, Receiver and Servo under the waterline. I just have used Micro-units, but the do a perfect job.

Happy modeling,
Jörg
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 22 queries.