Masterclasses > 63 FOOT RAF AIR SEA RESCUE LAUNCH

Q & A - 63 FOOT RAF AIR SEA RESCUE LAUNCH by Bluebird

(1/19) > >>

Bunkerbarge:
Please feel free to share your Questions and comments on Bluebirds build in this thread.

(  Build thread:    63 FOOT RAF AIR SEA RESCUE LAUNCH WHALEBACK   )

John W E:
John- needless to say that this is an absolutely excellent job you have made there. As I am a bit in that fast-scale-theme I wonder, why you have made it plank on frame. Was it your opinion to catch up the hull, like the origin had been built?
Don`t want to doubt in any way what you have done- just want to come behind the idea.
Thankkyou in advance.
Jörg

Hi there Jorg - to try and answer your above questions:

When I originally thought about building this hull, it was to try and show newcomers to the hobby what diagonal planking was about; so, originally I was only going to 'single plank' the hull and keep it at the scale of 1/2 inch to the foot and in doing so, I was planning on using brushless motors.  This brushless motor field was going to be a new learning curve for me personally - but, due to the expense of the brushless set-up, it wasnt a viable option.   I then began to rethink the build and it was at that stage that I decided to build a double-diagonally planked hull, using the inner planks as semi-scale, which should show the beginner or the 'newby' the basics of the planking method.  It would also show others, by adding the scale planking to the outside, how to commence producing a hull near enough to the original full size hull.

With using light materials, as I did with the very thin ply, this meant keeping the weight down to an extremely light hull.    When I took the hull from the building board, I weighed it, and it came in at 2lb and 8oz this is without any running gear added.   This hull is some 39 1/2 inches long, by 10 1/2 inches beam and I think you will find, you will have to go some, to find a fibre-glass hull as light as that, unless we begin to use carbon fibres.

Hope that helps to answer your question Jorg.   If not, fire away with more queries.    :)

aye
john e
bluebird

White Ensign:
Hi John,
thankyou for the answer. Well, that explains a lot. Now I have to calculate the imperials into metric....
2lb = 2x453,6 Gramm= 907,2 Gramm
8oz= 8x28,35 Gramm= 226,8 Gramm
Total:                       1134,0 Gramm= 1,134 Kilogramm

Length: 39 1/2 " x 2,542= 100,4 cm
Beam: 10 1/2 " x 2,542= 26,69 cm

That gives me a very good relation to my 70`CMB hull, which is out of fibreglass with a deadweigth of in total 700 Gramm at nearly the same dimensions.
I think, that the most people mould much too thick with too many layers when using fibre and carbon isn`t the final answer.
However, this should not be meant to reduce your quality or skill. An awsome job which I am sure, I`d never reach (or just with very much difficulties.
Your photographs remind me on a shipmate at the SWA. He made a MTB all the same way and won the Duke of Edinborough-Trophy some years ago with it.

Again, thankyou for your information. Great to talk with shipmates about their technics. Go on with it, I`m excited to see some more.

Jörg

Martin13:
John,

Great build.. Love the double diagonal planking. tried it out on my BB and was surprised by how strong the hull is before fibreglassing.

I.m just a little confused by one matter and that is why have you painted the hull after laying mahogany planking. I thought that the planking was going to be a feature of the model.....or have I missed something.

One other thing - when you were talking about the prop shaft exits and rudder positioning - how does one  do this when your (mine) drawings do not show this detail....I hope I do not install them at the wrong end.

Martin Doon Under

John W E:
Hi there Martin - in response to your queries....

I.m just a little confused by one matter and that is why have you painted the hull after laying mahogany planking. I thought that the planking was going to be a feature of the model.....or have I missed something.

One other thing - when you were talking about the prop shaft exits and rudder positioning - how does one  do this when your (mine) drawings do not show this detail....I hope I do not install them at the wrong end.

First of all - painting the planks - I myself would have loved to have left the mahogany showing and just with a coating of Epoxy - because, before I painted her, you would think she had been French Polished (the boat not the Mrs )  :)  but to keep in with authenticity of the model; we have had to paint her.

In certain lighting, looking along the hull, one can make out some individual planks along the side which you sometimes can see in the life sized boats.

With regards to props and rudders - there should be somewhere on your plans mention of position of motors in the hull.     O0   If not, though, will have to look for some photographs/other drawings either on the web or in the books, which we can use and scale up to suit your drawings and take the dimensions from there.   Although, having said that, are you going to make your hull a 'single screw' or are you going to go for the 'triple screw' ??.

Aye
John
Bluebird  O0

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version