Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Q & A - 63 FOOT RAF AIR SEA RESCUE LAUNCH by Bluebird  (Read 69812 times)

Hagar

Re: Q & A - 63 FOOT RAF AIR SEA RESCUE LAUNCH by Bluebird
« Reply #50 on: September 07, 2008, 06:58:29 pm »

Thank you for a very informative reply!
Could you give as good a reply to this one? The inside of the hull, you treated that with a resin, to protect it from water in the hull, and the out side was epoxied and wrapped.
Couldn't go into that in a little more detail could you.

Also, is it possible to plank on top of a resin/epoxy. If so what glue would you suggest?

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #51 on: September 07, 2008, 07:11:28 pm »

Hagar Hi there Mate

Yes, the inside of the hull was sealed with inexpensive polyester resin, the reason for this, is that the inside of the hull is not as subjected to the same wear and tear treatment as the exterior.

The exterior of the hull, the first layer of planks were Obechi timber.

the second and outer layer were of Mahogany.   This, then, was given 2-3 coats of pure Epoxy Resin - no matting or any other material was added.   

This Epoxy finish was then rubbed down to the desired finish for painting.

Before I answer your next question, I need to ask you why do you wish to seal the inner planks, before you 'lay up' over the top?    Yes, I do realise that in real life there was a skin of Calico with red lead put on between the two layers of planking.   Are you trying to assimilate this, as Gribeauval does with his lifeboats?

or

Are you concerned in case you acquire a leak between the planks????

If it was me going to glue on top of Epoxy, or a Polyester; I would be tempted to use a superglue - knowing full well the exterior planking is going to be sealed completely with another coat of Epoxy resin.

To be honest, I would think this was a bit overkill, although having said that - what materials are you proposing planking the hull with?

aye
john

bluebird
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Hagar

« Reply #52 on: September 08, 2008, 02:03:31 pm »

To be 100% honest, I will be doing the deck i mahogani and clearcoating it!
Needless to say this hull, in my build will not be finnished as a rescue launch, but as a conversion....

Bit like a 60's runabout if you understand what I mean.  ???

mike64

« Reply #53 on: September 08, 2008, 10:11:26 pm »

John
I found this web site and may be of interest to you and others:

http://www.mwadui.com/HongKong/Crest.htm

Mike

mike64

« Reply #54 on: September 18, 2008, 09:04:09 pm »

Hi John
I would like to pick you brains again, I have enlarged my plans from 1:24 to 1:12 and proceded to convert the half frames to full frames using tracing paper. I since transposed a number of these onto my 4mm ply. I have noted that I appear to be making a complete hash of all the frames in respect of the area where the top chine stringer locates. It appears I have been unable to correctly translate this from the drawing. If I look at the plans the frame view it seems the view showing half frames from the bow to the forth frame have somewhat rounded corners.

Can you advise how to get this part of the marking out as accurate as I can considering my limited experience with this level of build.

Thanks
Mike

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: September 19, 2008, 01:22:56 pm »

Hi Mike

After reading your posting, may I express a little concern here.   The concern is to do with your proposed use of using 4mm ply - for the frames.     What concerns me is, the overall length of this hull will be some 60 inches long.   The frame spacings in that - to use 4mm ply for frames - of a hull this size - you really need to be having double the amount of frames into the build.   The preferred thickness should be 8mm thick ply for the frames; and then you could comfortably accommodate 6mm square stringers, which I think you are going to have to add 2-3 more stringers per side and bottom than I myself fitted into my model.

A bit food for thought for you Mike.

Now the next thing, your chine line - if you see on the build which I am doing at the moment, you will see I actually marked in what they call the water lines onto the frames; these are the horizontal lines which you see marked onto the frames.   You also see the vertical lines.     These lines, when they are traced onto the actual ply wood help us keep the trueness of the frame, knowing that the vertical lines should be parallel with the centre line of the frame; and, also, the horizontal lines should be parallel to the building board line.  -   This is how I keep the squareness and trueness of my frames sometimes.   The other thing to think of, we are going to put notches in for the chine stringer, and, so the radius' which I believe you may be concerned about - will be removed, because you will be cutting the notches out to facilitate the fixing of the chine stringer.

I hope this helps you a bit, if not, you know where I am - you have the Forum and my email address also.    {-) O0 O0

aye
john e
bluebird

mike64

« Reply #56 on: September 19, 2008, 08:53:38 pm »

John
Your concern over the 4mm ply is noted, I was planning on using these as templates for the final build as they would be useful if I wanted to rebuild hull for diffrent variant of this craft. The small problem I have found is the I can not seem to get the top outer edge of the frames where the top chine I think it is refered to as the deck chine correct.

The drawings are a not as positive as I would have felt comfertable with to ensure accuracy. The pictures you posted show a more positive and defined layout. I am continplating going back to phase one and drawing the fames based on the line drawings rather than tracing half frames and converting to full frames from enlarged frame drawings.

Mike

cdsc123

« Reply #57 on: September 19, 2008, 10:16:04 pm »

Hi John

Just seen the photos of the almost completed Whaleback. Congratulations, it is without a doubt the most accurate model of one of these I'm aware of  O0
In answer to your question I'd say the only things left are the finishing touches i.e. the roundels, the red & white chequer board markings and the ensign.

Take care,

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: September 20, 2008, 08:19:38 pm »

O0  Christian

Thank you very much for the kind compliments.   With regard to the checker boarding, can you answer this, I read in a book that the red and white chequer board markings on the foredeck are only painted on when the vessel had equipment aboard to communicate with aircraft?   ah....

The roundells are on my son's painting board - reason why - he can paint circles great!  I can't - I can't paint ......  :embarrassed:

the Ensign - story behind that one....I ordered a small one instead of the large.

What we have missed - have a look at the number on the deck - the centre of the 6 is supposed to be white edged.......I will do that.   :D O0

John

cdsc123

« Reply #59 on: September 20, 2008, 10:16:09 pm »

Hi John
Your attention to historical detail is as good as your attention to modelling detail as the HSLs were painted with an over-all grey scheme on the upperworks with only the wheelhouse roof in yellow (they had all yellow upperworks including the decks previously) and later when they were all fitted with VHF they were painted up with the red & white chequer-board pattern on the foredeck. So your model depicts her in between the two schemes, nice one!
Kind regards,

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #60 on: September 21, 2008, 02:58:46 pm »

Good grief, now I'm hallucinating, I'm imagining that you have floated 2 boats in 2 weeks, cant be true.  :o
Next I will be imagining that you have at long last floated your PT boat John.
Must go for a lie down, think the glue fumes have got at me. Managed 3 hours in the shed today.

Boat looks great John. O0
Must be the first time youve built one quicker than me ;)
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the best model boat site
« Reply #61 on: September 21, 2008, 04:40:49 pm »

Hi John   O0

Finished the documents now have changed them to PDF files and on disc. Have all the pictures of the completed model and the ones on the water..looks great   O0   O0

Whats next ????  :)

Hagar

« Reply #62 on: September 22, 2008, 05:47:27 pm »

Hi there Bluebird.
Just seen the latest photos of the "almost finished" as you put it, of this build.
Looks really great! Job well done if you ask me.
Now I'm sitting looking at the plans for this boat and thinking; How can I slpi this one past SWMBO  ???
Shall we just say she is not a great fan of "warships"....

Would also just like to say a big thank you for a very good Master class. I'm looking forwards to the next one.

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #63 on: September 22, 2008, 09:14:01 pm »

O0

thank you for the kind comments .     Just go for it mate, it is an enjoyable build -  nothing ventured nothing gained.  O0 O0

Aye
John

tomocj

« Reply #64 on: February 08, 2009, 07:44:31 pm »

Hi Bluebeard.
             Studied your build thread with interest ,I'm building a deans marine ASRL The superstructure (replaced) portholes seem to be large if you cut them out to the marked line. any ideas as to how to make them a neater looking porthole?
If I was to make the porthole smaller I would still be left with the raised cut out line would it be worth using fine plastic strip to make a frame of sorts ?Any advise welcomed.Chris

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #65 on: February 08, 2009, 08:24:59 pm »

Bluebeard here oh ah...me hearties.... :-)) :-)) :-))

Hi there Chris, Would there be any way of backing off the portholes with thin plasticard on the inside?  rubbing down and rubbing off the raised area on the outside??   

Then recutting a smaller side window/s   /portholes in the plasticard which you have pasted on the inside of the superstructure.

As I did, you could then put plastic inserts in, the correct size, fill them with either Plastic filler/P38 car body filler.

This would blend in the oversize opening to the new size - this would be the way I would approach it - but, don't forget, there are 'eyebrows' over the top of the portholes - I don't know if these 'eyebrows' are included on the mouldings, but, they are a noticeable feature on the vessel.

The other thing to take note of, are the wheelhouse side windows; they are slightly wrong on Deane's , as far as I can see anyway.    The little triangular one at the front - the bottom of the triangle actually slopes down slightly - I will try and dig out a photograph to show you what I mean  :-))

Hope this helps.

aye
john e
bluebird

tomocj

« Reply #66 on: February 08, 2009, 09:38:35 pm »

Thanks bluebeard,
           Allowing for the eyebrow over the top would solve it ,I had cut the entire raised part of the plastic away leaving a gapping chasm rather than a porthole i will give it a go .Thanks again .
                                         Chris

howie55

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #67 on: May 05, 2009, 02:58:29 pm »

John as someone who is recently starting in the hobby of boat modeling I have found your build both informing and interesting, I look forward to seeing the finished model.
Geoff  (flytier07 )

john allsop

« Reply #68 on: May 07, 2009, 05:29:19 am »

I have just found the site. Interesting to read about the whaleback, i built one some years ago from John Prichard,s plan but i couldn,t make the domes so i just left them as wire frames without glazing, maybe now i might try and glaze them although supplies have to be mail order. My whaleback is No 156 with yellow deck which it had and later it was painted gray, I have 9 RAF boats.

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #69 on: May 07, 2009, 06:37:23 pm »

hi there John

Thanks for the comments, I have one other air sea rescue launch - Vosper 72 ft one - there are some photographs on this forum of the model.

With regard to making the domes, I myself had several attempts at making them.  What I found was that the 2 pieces of plywood which hold the perspex in place (with the hole in the centre) don't clamp these together too tightly.   Leave them slack enough, so, that with a bit of pressure you can move the perspex between the 2 pieces of plywood.   Then, heat the whole assembly up in a conventional oven, so that the perspex just begins to 'sag' then take it out of the oven and then force your male former through the hole.

Also as a note, on your male former put a reference mark for where to stop - in that way you don't push too far through and split the dome.

Another thing is, when you build the plastic cage around the outside of the clear plastic dome, paint the inner edges of your plastic strip which come into contact with your dome.   Paint them either a matt black/dark grey as, if you don't the white plastic shows through like a sore thumb when you have finished.

If you need any more help send me a pm.

Hi Flytier07, the model is all but finished now - there wasn't much more to do to it when the last pics were put on here.   The only thing I have done now is to put NiCad batteries in her; and it is keeping her on the surface of the water and also trying to increase the running time on the water.  7 mins running time is a little bit short.....

aye
john e
bluebird

john allsop

« Reply #70 on: May 15, 2009, 02:35:34 am »

THANK,S For the info on the domes, i tried DEANS but they wont sell them and i need 7, two each for the "HANT,S AND DORSET" and the "WHALEBACK" and 3 for the "THORNEYCROFT" I did panel the turrets in the "HANTS and DORSET' and the "THORNEYCROFT" with individual panels but they are not good . There is a small hobby shop 400km away so next time i go there i will see if any PVC type material is available

Perkasaman2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #71 on: May 28, 2009, 10:16:50 pm »

Many thanks Bluebird! (fellow Geordie) Your detailed,precise and clear photos/explanation of the frame/planking methods of hull construction are outstanding, your methods have enabled the complex sweeping/curving hull/superstructure lines of this boat to be carefully/exactly represented - no easy task. Some years ago I wanted to do a large scale Elco 80, now less rare, and the more I studied the hull the more I was worried, until I finlly gave up - I wish your tutorial had been around then - compared to the whaleback the 80 hull is comparatively easy, a doddle, using your construction methods. (It's a shame some grp hull manufacturer did'nt make a plug/mould of your fine hull.) There seems to be no alternative to short duration nicads other than ic with smaller hull sizes. Seven minutes is short. Getting the hull ballasted down into the water and with enough power to plane is very problematic to get the right high speed 'scale look'.  :-) This boat I think must be the most difficult of the coastal craft to model and get right - Well done!  :-) 

Tony william

« Reply #72 on: October 19, 2009, 10:31:02 am »

As a new member, I have just joined, I was interested in the correspondence over the 63 ft. Whale Back launch . This may be a bit late
as I note the dates for most of the correspondence was over a year ago! However some body might find this helpful , in Model Boats
magazine October 1981 there is a article by John Pritchard  together with a small plan( the full scale can be purchased from M.B. )
on the 130 R.A.F. rescue launch together with some photos  taken on service. I have also noted someone asking about the turrets;
some years ago I built a small model of one of these craft and successfully made them out of car light bulbs the thought occurs to me
that the larger round 15/ 25 watt clear lamp bulbs would do an  job on a larger scale. It is a tedious job removing the filament
but worth the effort . soak in hot water and gently manipulate the base until it begins to loosen, great care should be taken to avoid
breakage's which could result in a nasty cut ! I would recommend that the younger members of our fraternity have a adult help.

AndrewB

« Reply #73 on: June 29, 2010, 09:52:32 pm »

Hello Bluebird
I am just going through building a 1:20 scale PT Boat, I downloaded the drawings from http://www.pt-boat.com I just wanted to say thanks for the fantastic Masterclass, Well done!!  :-)

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #74 on: June 30, 2010, 09:49:00 am »

Hi Andrew and welcome to the forum mad house  :-))
If you have a look at this build http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=9865.0
by Martin doon under this may help you with your PT build as well ,plus there is the RTTL 2751 build

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=20758.0
aye
john
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 22 queries.