Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Q & A - 63 FOOT RAF AIR SEA RESCUE LAUNCH by Bluebird  (Read 69813 times)

LONGLEAT

Re: Q & A - 63 FOOT RAF AIR SEA RESCUE LAUNCH by Bluebird
« Reply #75 on: October 08, 2010, 02:49:57 pm »

Hi there, John, please come back on the Forum.

AmbuTech

« Reply #76 on: October 09, 2010, 10:19:08 pm »

Does anyone have an up to date source for plans for this boat please?

I am eager to build a boat of this style and size.

Rgds Ken

Gra

« Reply #77 on: October 10, 2010, 08:11:18 am »

Hi

The Model Boat Shack produce A Whaleback hull in 1/16 scale.

Gra

longshanks

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #78 on: October 10, 2010, 09:51:04 pm »

Check out Bluebird s original article - very bottom of page

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=9758.0

Perkasaman2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #79 on: October 11, 2010, 12:04:01 am »

I think Bluebird based his beautiful model  on a plan set drawn by John Pritchard which is currently available:

http://www.myhobbystore.co.uk/product/16744/raf-rescue-launch-mm1320

george

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #80 on: April 19, 2013, 06:50:27 am »

Hello
 Could someone please tell me if it is common not to hear back from the dealer of the plans from the link posted above for two months? This is my Second attempt at contacting the seller with NO reply. Are they still in business? Please let me know, if there is a special way to go to contact the plans source to find out in what form the plans are sent; CD or drawn out in 1/24 scale on paper and what the total to Canada is.
 Thanks for the Help.
 George

gra2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #81 on: April 19, 2013, 08:27:05 am »

G/day George,

I have the plan at 1/24 scale I might be able to mail it to you if cost is not to much.
Graham

Onetenor

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #82 on: June 28, 2016, 01:14:14 am »

I look forward to seeing how you do them, I wimped out with my 1/24th Thornycroft HSL and bought them from Deans Marine but that's not an option for you. I have heard people have used the valve out of old radios though..
What did you think of For Those In Peril?
    The sea shall not have them was another ASR film  B&W worth watching for details.Available from Amazons also is For those in Peril

tghsmith

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #83 on: August 21, 2016, 12:34:44 am »

I scratch built one of these boats in 1986,1/24th scale.. with a dremel as the most advances tool I had at the time.. now that I have some more advanced tools, the advances in motors,ESC's,batteries and 3D printing.. It's time to build another this time 1/16th.. I've had the plans and wood waiting for a couple of months.. been doing lots of photo research(all I had was plans and the Airfix 1/72 model kit the first time)have gathered a few books.. So it was time to make some sawdust and shavings..

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #84 on: August 21, 2016, 02:41:22 am »

I do love double diagonal  %) planking Mr Smith...always seems a pity to paint over it......

Do you have a fetish  :kiss:....for power saw blades?...

I certainly do.......three x 85mm diameter TCT blades for my Proxxon table saw for $18.00 including delivery from Hong Kong.....I think they are made on CNC machining, silver soldering and precision grinding stations..............

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #85 on: August 21, 2016, 02:58:54 am »

Excellent!    :-))

I scratch built one of these boats in 1986,1/24th scale.. with a dremel as the most advances tool I had at the time.. now that I have some more advanced tools, the advances in motors,ESC's,batteries and 3D printing.. It's time to build another this time 1/16th.. I've had the plans and wood waiting for a couple of months.. been doing lots of photo research(all I had was plans and the Airfix 1/72 model kit the first time)have gathered a few books.. So it was time to make some sawdust and shavings..
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

tghsmith

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #86 on: August 21, 2016, 12:06:22 pm »

some of the photos show the planks on the deck fairly well, thinking about a thin plywood sub-deck that will be glassed and then adding pre epoxy coated planks to achieve the look..  link to more on this build   http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2581824

tghsmith

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #87 on: August 25, 2016, 11:26:21 pm »

first layer planks about done, starting to see those great lines of the hull..

Onetenor

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #88 on: August 26, 2016, 02:43:48 am »

Really good . Second layer opposite way ?

tghsmith

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #89 on: August 26, 2016, 11:39:27 am »

yes, the double diagonal as in the prototype construction, once both layers are in place the hull will be cut free from the building board, thinned epoxy poured and brushed on the inside (no excess resin, no excess weight) sand and prep the exterior followed by a layer of fine glass and resin.. I'm looking at a total weight of 7.5-8 lbs for this boat, watching weight where I can,, I spent several days dremeling out "weight" on my 1/24th scale version so it would get up on plane..would rather have some extra room at the end of the build to add extras like a sound system...

Alan Weaving

• Shipmate
« Reply #90 on: June 01, 2017, 06:23:31 am »

Please excuse my ignorance but this is my first ever post ... I am trying to address a message regarding a question concerning (Re: Q&A - 63 FOOT RAF AIR SEA RESCUE LAUNCH by Bluebird) ... to Bluebird ... Dear Sir, I write to you with a request for information concerning a 'Hants & Dorset' 63 Foot ASR HSL # 2595 (Hand made to John Pritchard Plans # MM1358 1/2 inch to the foot) ... My Dad, Tom Weaving in Calgary, Alberta, Canada has hand built this model 'Plank-On-Plank' ... Double Diagonal ... as he served with RAF Marine Services Maritime Division in Madagascar and towards the end of WWII in Colton and Newhaven on these boats.  My apologies, I digress, Dad, now 95 and due to failing eyesight has passed along his boat to myself to complete by attaching all finishing details ... My first question is regarding the AW-11 Manually Operated Gun Turret from the AVRO Anson which was modified by RAF Marine Services to AW-77 configuration for installation on these 'Hants & Dorset' HSL's, which has been confirmed in letter by the RAF Museum in England ... Can you advise as to where I can obtain a Dimensioned Technical Drawing for these Turrets to enable me to fabricate same for installation on his model ? ... I can provide photos of completion stage of Dad's Boat thus far but must confess I have absolutely no idea of how to attach them in this excellent blog & your fantastic model with detail I would love to include in Dad's boat as I have promised to send it to the RAF ASR Museum in the UK after completion with his compliments when the appropriate time arrives ... Can you please help with sources of any information available ? ... Thank You in advance for your support & cooperation, Kind Regards, Alan Weaving, West Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada.

Alan Weaving

• Shipmate
« Reply #91 on: June 01, 2017, 06:29:03 am »

Correction on Dad's last postings ... I believe it should read Calshot & Newhaven ? ... Again my apologies for the error.

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #92 on: June 01, 2017, 07:41:56 am »

Hi there Alan, if you have a look at my Avatar you will see my name Bluebird - if you click on my name = it brings up my profile - you will see it brings up personal messages.   I will send you a test message - then I can respond to you off the forum - test message being sent.   Once we have done that I can respond to your queries.

John
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Big E

• Full Mayhemer
  • If at first you don't succeed, cheat.
« Reply #93 on: March 22, 2018, 10:54:29 pm »

Firstly John, thanks belatedly for a terrific account of your build of the 63' RAF Rescue Launch, the Whaleback. I should think you've just about forgotten it by now, whereas I have been thinking about it in detail for the last few weeks. On the strength of your article and the bottomless pit of information that seems to be available through Model Boat Mayhem, I have decided to attempt a 1:12 scale Whaleback, based on Mr.Pritchard's drawings, supplemented by all the photos and information I can get my hands on. If mine comes out even half as good as yours, I will be well pleased.
Taking your advice on deciding early on what motors to put in it and also having a go at planning required batteries and wiring, I wonder if you could give me some guidance please?  (Here we go again; the age-old question, I bet you can guess what's coming. What motors?)
I have decided that brushless motors and their attendant electronics just isn't worth the hassle for a relative novice, so I  think that three brushed 900 motors running on NiMh might be suitable, but others are suggesting three 700 motors, or even 800 or 850. Am I going for overkill here, would I be better off with 800 or 850 motors and what revs should I be looking for, 5000, 8500? 45mm props at three blade?
Action controls seem a very sensible choice (or as near as) and they have what looks like a perfect set up for three motors, but their circuit diagram for a Fairmile C is using 12 volt. Do I need to go to 24 volt? All I really want is to get the hull planing like the real thing, but I am totally stumped with prop sizes, revs and power requirements. Yes, I know, it is difficult to state hard and fast recommendations for any given model and I am not looking for a definite specification, but I would be very grateful for whatever guidance either you or anybody could offer with regard to at least a starting point, something which would be, as a minimum, powerful and fast enough.
Just one more question please. You mentioned in your write-up a small anomaly on the plans with reference to the beam measurement. I noticed this when the plans arrived today and so checked a copy of the original BPB General arrangement. This seems odd too! If the boat was 63' long and 17'-6" beam, is it worth scaling up the hull sections in relation to the overall length? The plans would give a 16'-3" beam.
Well, that's it for now, wish me luck trying to make 80mm diameter turret domes.
Thanks for any guidance you or anyone else might be able to offer and happy sailing.

Chris.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Page created in 0.116 seconds with 22 queries.