Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Q & A - General Havelock  (Read 61893 times)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Q & A - General Havelock
« on: September 04, 2007, 06:02:27 pm »

This is good stuff Bryan. can I ask:

1. What are the plates made of and how did you reproduce the riveting.

2. Did you plate "by eye" or go the whole hog with a shell expansion plan?

Colin

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
General Havelock
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 06:20:30 pm »

This is more like it Bryan. Fascinating stuff. O0
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

slewis

General Havelock
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2007, 10:10:50 pm »

Bryan  what is the superstructure made from ? Plasticard? If so how thick is the stuff you are using and what do you use to stick it together ?

Shane

Robert Davies

General Havelock
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2007, 10:25:13 pm »

This is a basic 2mm ply structure covered with 15 though plasticard. Do I really need to tell you how I stuck it on?

Yes you do Bryan! :) The last ply/plasticard sandwich I glued together warped and bubbled to a somewhat horrifying degree. What are your favoured adhesives for this type of composite work?

-Rob

slewis

General Havelock
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2007, 10:30:21 pm »

oops missed that bit   ::)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
General Havelock
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2007, 10:36:24 pm »

I think Bryan has already stated that he uses double sided tape to make the bond - and very successfully too. Shows that glue isn't always the answer.  ;)

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
General Havelock
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2007, 10:51:37 pm »

Bryan  what is the superstructure made from ? Plasticard? If so how thick is the stuff you are using and what do you use to stick it together ?

Shane
Shane, nice to hear from you. It is a normal "box" made from 2mm ply and covered with 20 or 30 thou. plasticard. All openings (including ports ) are cut out before attaching the plasticard...this makes final accurate cutting possible. The plasticard is cut well oversize and placed over the already prepared ply...which is still in bits...( i.e. double sided tape laid on the ply). Plasticard cut oversize so accurate placement not necessary 'cos if you get it wrong you are back to square 1. Trim the plasticard off leaving a bit at the top to act as an "upstand" and tape a length of black plasticard along the bottom edge to act as a don't know what it is called plate. Brace the inside with 1/4" square ramin top an bottom. Top to take the thickness of the top and the bottom one to give stability and a fastening surface. Same with the vertical corners.
When all overlapping corner edges are smooth I clag on lengths of small plastic angle bar. Not strictly correct from a shipbuilders point of view but it makes for a tidy corner. Experiment with the tape...I guarantee you will be surprised and kick yourself for not using it earlier. This stuff seems to resist everything including being boiled! (I've tried that to get it loose from aluminium...had to scrap the aluminium!). Bryan
This is a basic 2mm ply structure covered with 15 though plasticard. Do I really need to tell you how I stuck it on?

Yes you do Bryan! :) The last ply/plasticard sandwich I glued together warped and bubbled to a somewhat horrifying degree. What are your favoured adhesives for this type of composite work?

-Rob
If you decide to try this tape...comes in lengths of 10 metres plus and is about 2" wide at around £2 a roll, PLEASE experiment with it first! I sticks like the proverbial to the bedclothes only 100 times faster and stronger! 2 years ago I inadvertently stuck some to my "clean" melamine worktop and am still trying to get it off. Meths. does soften it, but not enough as it just hardens up again! No gassing, no bubbling in fact no nothing apart froma superfast "stick anything to anything " bond. Have'nt had ocassion to try it on rubber yet. Bryan.
Notes from a simple seaman

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
General Havelock
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2007, 11:09:29 pm »

Bryan, I may have missed it but what is the name of the tape and where can you get it? Sticking plasticard to traditional materials is frequently a problem for many of us and this looks like areal solution.

Colin

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
General Havelock
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2007, 11:10:44 pm »

I do like the plating, how did you achieve it?
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
General Havelock
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2007, 07:54:27 am »

See reply 7 Mark O0

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
General Havelock
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2007, 06:34:47 pm »

Bryan, I may have missed it but what is the name of the tape and where can you get it? Sticking plasticard to traditional materials is frequently a problem for many of us and this looks like areal solution.

Colin

Hi,Colin.
I did go into this in an earlier incarnation. I buy it from my very local DIY shop (Kellys in Monkseaton) and they have a shelf of the stuff. Sorry, but I cannot recall the brand name as I just chuck the wrapping away. Always buy the interior/exterior grade (for obvious reasons) and do not buy the stuff that B&Q sell. Theirs is too narrow, too short and massively overpriced...and I think it is all "interior" grade. I really do not know what the prime purpose of this tape is (was) but I am equally sure that it was not designed and produced for modellers! If you still cannot find any then let me know and I will look at the label (in the shop) and let you know. BY

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
General Havelock
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2007, 06:48:39 pm »

Other people do the same or better than I do. Sometime in the past when discussing this subject a guy who was trying my method discovered for himself that the "out" plates had to be suported by a false "inplate" before the final "out" plate could be attached...that is, unless you are doing joggled plating. Another subject entirely! As far as "how did I achieve it" is concerned then I really don't know.  As "Bluebird" once said, he begins at the keel and goes up "so far". (until the lines begin to look a little "iffy").
To be honest I really do not know how to answer you. My past experience has taught me a lot about practical and theoretical ship construction and so it becomes almost second nature. If you like I could scan and send a sort of typical shell expansion drawing to give you an idea how it all comes together. Bryan.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
General Havelock
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2007, 08:12:02 pm »

Would SOMEONE please tell me if they have used the d-s tape I have been advocating for so long. Sureley someone must have given it a go? Or am I just f....ing in the wind. If that is the case then that is the end of it. Whats the point if there is no feedback?

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
General Havelock
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2007, 08:16:50 pm »

Would SOMEONE please tell me if they have used the d-s tape I have been advocating for so long. Sureley someone must have given it a go? Or am I just f....ing in the wind. If that is the case then that is the end of it. Whats the point if there is no feedback?
We are still waitjng for you to give us the brand name of the tape Bryan. O0

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
General Havelock
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2007, 08:18:19 pm »

Don't expect an immediate response on that Bryan. Having taken the idea on board people need to have an appropriate application for it. I doubt if there are many people constructing deckhouses at this immediate moment but I have filed it away for future reference and will try it out next time I have a situation where it may be the best option.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
General Havelock
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2007, 08:52:14 pm »

Thanks Colin. Dicky, there are many brands "out there". All I would recommend is that you get the "interior/exterior" type.
Even so, some sort of feedback on experimental usage would be helpful. It does not have to be used just on building deckhouses.

gribeauval

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tidy Bench -Tidy Mind, Messy Bench - BUSY!!
General Havelock
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2007, 09:19:13 pm »

The point Brian is to get info out there, if people wish to use it then they can, why worry if they don't post, it doesn't effect you  building your boats does it?  ;) It's nice to watch other people build as I see new ways of doing things that I can use.

By the way I have used d/sided tape for years for sticking window frames/fittings on my lifeboats as it is easy to position them with silicone paper underneath them, then slide it out when happy with the position. Also I use the type the auto industry use for sticking trim parts in place, once on it sticks like the proverbial to a blanket!! Never lost a fitting yet! 8)

Mike
True Lifeboat Nutter!!

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
General Havelock
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2007, 09:47:40 pm »

At last! A reason for the tape being put on the market in the first place! Car trims. Now why did'nt I know that when building my little red one. Live and learn, I guess.

gribeauval

• Full Mayhemer
General Havelock
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2007, 09:51:41 pm »

At last! A reason for the tape being put on the market in the first place! Car trims. Now why did'nt I know that when building my little red one. Live and learn, I guess.

Possibly because you didn't work in a car dealership/repair shop.  ;)
True Lifeboat Nutter!!

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
General Havelock
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2007, 10:17:07 pm »

Must have a look in Halfords tomorrow then. Not hopeful though. I certainly like the idea as it offers the option of being more precise than glue which usually oozes where you don't want it.

gribeauval

• Full Mayhemer
General Havelock
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2007, 10:24:31 pm »

Must have a look in Halfords tomorrow then. Not hopeful though. I certainly like the idea as it offers the option of being more precise than glue which usually oozes where you don't want it.

Forget Halfords, the stuff they sell is no comparison to the professional stuff. Look up MOTOR FACTORS in your local Yellow Pages and give them a visit, they sell the real stuff and will sell it to joe public not just trade, especially if you explain what you want it for. 8)
True Lifeboat Nutter!!

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
General Havelock
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2007, 10:50:30 pm »

Thanks Mike - I'll do that.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
General Havelock
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2007, 06:58:18 pm »

Possibly because you didn't work in a car dealership/repair shop.  ;)
Who put on that horrible red print? Yeuch.

gribeauval

• Full Mayhemer
General Havelock
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2007, 07:02:01 pm »

I did!  ;)
True Lifeboat Nutter!!

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
General Havelock
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2007, 10:37:24 pm »

I did!  ;)
Well take it off then! If I want stuff like that I can do it for myself. Cheers. BY.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 21 queries.