Masterclasses > General Havelock

Q & A - General Havelock

<< < (27/27)

Bryan Young:

--- Quote from: GaryM on June 11, 2008, 11:36:54 pm ---Whoops! Posted originally on your build thread - sorry :embarrassed:
The best boat construction I've seen so far on any site - Fact. O0  and there are lots of fantastic boats on this site.
Gives me butterflies in the belly and turns me green with envy, yet something to aspire to.

Beautiful boat Bryan.

regards
Gary :)

--- End quote ---
Many thanks Gary.
I am pretty pleased with the way it has turned out. It took over a year to build, so may I add a little rider to the build articles. It may sound obvious...and probably is...but when building a model time should never be a factor whether yo are building kit, scratch or something inbetween. And to keep up the interest, the model (or the original) should engender a real and long lasting interest in the builder. I can honestly say that I have never been bored with a model under construction. I know some folk who like to put one model down and start another..or more than 1. Some of these guys never get around to finishing any of them!. So I think it all comes down to making an astute choice of model to begin with. Thanks again. Bryan. P.S. perhaps I could get interested in an Admirals barge. Never done real steam before.

Bryan Young:

--- Quote from: DickyD on May 05, 2008, 06:54:42 pm ---
--- Quote from: Bryan Young. ---  By the way, can someone tell me what the difference is between a heater motor and a "Barracuda"? They look the same.

Bryan

--- End quote ---

The heater motor is an electrical gubbins and the "Barracuda" is a fish. Sorry. :embarrassed:
[/quote
Still waiting for a more tunaful answer.
--- End quote ---

bbdave:
This may have been asked and i may have missed it. why do you build a wooden hull to lay a fibreglass one why not just stick with a wooden hull?

Bryan Young:

--- Quote from: bbdave on July 29, 2008, 07:53:24 pm ---This may have been asked and i may have missed it. why do you build a wooden hull to lay a fibreglass one why not just stick with a wooden hull?

--- End quote ---
1. Long life for the hull.
2. Re. no.1..Idiots who crash into me hurt themselves most.
3. Structural strength...quite a few of my boats are around the 7' mark and a fibreglass hull is strongest.
4. I don't know how to build a good wooden hull.
5. I like old ships that have a heavy and rivetted hull, I do not really like modern welded ships...too much like B&Q warehouses. So I like a bit of "character".
6. There is no no.6...yet.     BY.

derekwarner:
Bryan....from the images posted today in the alternate thread......although the model GH has a substantial draft.........when sailing she displays what I assume would be prototypical heeling when turning.........the images looked near life like...... :-)) ...Derek

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version