Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Q & A - General Havelock  (Read 61377 times)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
General Havelock
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2007, 10:50:14 pm »

Well, what a coincidence! I am actually building a "wooden" deckhouse in plasticard at the moment and thought it would look better if covered with stained 1mm ply. Then tonight I have been offered some D/S tape as used in the motor trade by another member. So it looks as if i will be trying out your technique Bryan.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
General Havelock
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2007, 06:00:37 pm »

Would SOMEONE please tell me if they have used the d-s tape I have been advocating for so long. Sureley someone must have given it a go? Or am I just f....ing in the wind. If that is the case then that is the end of it. Whats the point if there is no feedback?

The point Brian is to get info out there, if people wish to use it then they can, why worry if they don't post, it doesn't effect you  building your boats does it?  ;) It's nice to watch other people build as I see new ways of doing things that I can use.

By the way I have used d/sided tape for years for sticking window frames/fittings on my lifeboats as it is easy to position them with silicone paper underneath them, then slide it out when happy with the position. Also I use the type the auto industry use for sticking trim parts in place, once on it sticks like the proverbial to a blanket!! Never lost a fitting yet! 8)

Mike
Is the stuff used by the "auto-industry" thicker than the "domestic" version? The type I use seems to have no discernable thickness whatsoever.
Notes from a simple seaman

gribeauval

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tidy Bench -Tidy Mind, Messy Bench - BUSY!!
General Havelock
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2007, 06:11:43 pm »

Some are, they are thin foam based, and some aren't. Depends upon what car fitting you are sticking on.
True Lifeboat Nutter!!

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
General Havelock
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2007, 11:05:13 pm »

Some are, they are thin foam based, and some aren't. Depends upon what car fitting you are sticking on.
In which case modellers should be careful what they choose. I have used the "car-trade" stuff before (to attach a bumper strake along the  length of a car) and it is super...but too heavy (thick) for modelling. BY.

bigford

General Havelock
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2007, 03:19:47 am »

man you guys over sea's LOVE the big boats  O0

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
General Havelock
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2007, 07:38:32 am »

man you guys over sea's LOVE the big boats  O0

Who is overseas ??? ::) ;D

Back to the point though.
How do you apply the DS tape?

Flat to flat only, or butt joints or how else. I am asking as I cannot picture this other than applying 'veneer'.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
General Havelock
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2007, 06:03:53 pm »

Point taken Tiger. It (d-s tape) would be useless for fitting edges or small components. The reason I first tried it was because of the awkwardness of using contact adhesive. So I guess my main usage is sticking one sheet of something to another sheet of something. A job that most modellers do frequently, especially if you want a surface better than a wood panel will give. However, ways and means, it has a lot of uses. Can you get it in China? 
PS...I am STILL trying to get the dhow to you!! Cheers. Bryan.

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
General Havelock
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2007, 08:10:12 pm »

Coming along very nicely Bryan.  Once again just my type of vessel which I am sure is destined to become as superb as your Baroda.  Thanks for the build thread as well, very interesting.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

slewis

General Havelock
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2007, 09:41:13 pm »

Just a quickly
I am in the auto trade and we use a product called re-fix tape for reapplying mouldings and badges etc etc .
Its paper thin and very strong . Indeed the backing paper is thicker than the tape .Its available from Brown brothers and other motor factors as far as I am aware .
Heres a rather bad picture to show its thickness.

Shane  ;)

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
General Havelock
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2007, 09:54:51 pm »

Just a quickly
I am in the auto trade and we use a product called re-fix tape for reapplying mouldings and badges etc etc .
Its paper thin and very strong . Indeed the backing paper is thicker than the tape .Its available from Brown brothers and other motor factors as far as I am aware .

Shane  ;)

Sorry Shane, but what you show is far too thick.The stuff I use is too thin to measure...not that I would want to as it would stick to the micrometer..for ever.

gribeauval

• Full Mayhemer
General Havelock
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2007, 10:01:07 pm »

Just a quickly

Shane  ;)

Sorry Shane, but what you show is far too thick.The stuff I use is too thin to measure...not that I would want to as it would stick to the micrometer..for ever.

That re-fix tape is about half the thickness of sellotape, as Shane says it's a bad picture. If you don't believe us then go buy some and see for yourself or tell us what super brand you use that is thinner than the motor trade one.
True Lifeboat Nutter!!

slewis

General Havelock
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2007, 10:28:15 pm »

I have read the above and armed with some solvent (to clean my micrometer afterwards  ;) )
I have just measured the thickness .
Do you want it in imperial or metric ?
Eitherway its well under the thickness of paper and should do the job quite nicely  O0

Shane

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
General Havelock
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2007, 06:27:01 pm »

Just a quickly

Shane  ;)

That re-fix tape is about half the thickness of sellotape, as Shane says it's a bad picture. If you don't believe us then go buy some and see for yourself or tell us what super brand you use that is thinner than the motor trade one.

OOPS! Got that one wrong then! Sounds better than the stuff I am used to. Sorry. BY.

Stavros

General Havelock
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2007, 06:37:04 pm »

Brian I can vouch for that tape it sticks to stuff like Pooh Pooh to a shovel magic stuff.Have held many a boot spoiler down with it and also side skirts to a car.Did a temp repair to a rally car s wheel arches and did more blooming damage taking the arch off than it was worht,should just have sprayed it awsome is the word

stavros

ps keep up the good work very informative 

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
General Havelock
« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2007, 07:34:06 pm »

I am now getting a bit concerned about the lack of information (at least that I can find) about steam driven deck cranes.
The accompanying pic shoes what I am after. It appears to be similar to a standard (although "old") steam cargo winch stood on its back. But I would really like more info. on it. Cheers. BY

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
General Havelock
« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2007, 08:33:19 pm »

Would ships cranes have been much different from their land based equivalents? Steam was the usual power source in those days so it's likely that the designs were all quite similar.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
General Havelock
« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2007, 08:47:30 pm »

Would ships cranes have been much different from their land based equivalents? Steam was the usual power source in those days so it's likely that the designs were all quite similar.
Yeah,Colin. "similar" is about as far as it goes. Also the whole darn thing "swivels" on its base. (Traverses being a better word). And the controls I do not really understand. Oh,woe! Thanks for answering though. BY.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
General Havelock
« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2007, 10:07:29 pm »

It's got me intrigued now. I made some deck cranes for my Reculver coaster model but can't for the life of me remember where I got the info from. They are very small and I fudged them a bit so no use as a source of reference. I've spent some time Googling myself but can't find any thing useful, definitely a lack of info in cyberspace.

However, there is another possibility and that is to find a museum model fitted with cranes and use it as a guide. This pic is of a model of the SS Lairdcastle in the Glasgow Museum. There must be others elsewhere.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
General Havelock
« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2007, 08:29:12 am »

I Googled 40 pages of "Steam deck cranes" yesterday and came up with absolutely nothing. :embarrassed:
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
General Havelock
« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2007, 06:55:59 pm »

I imagine that they were pretty much identical. Same job, same design. North Shields fish quay used to have some but I cannot find any useful photos of them. The railway systems used them as well, and I believe that there is (or was) at least one kit that would be just about perfect..at least for learning purposes if not scale. If there are any model railway fans "out there" perhaps they could respond. Thanks for the interest. BY.

Bluebird v2

General Havelock
« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2007, 07:01:38 pm »

::)

gribeauval

• Full Mayhemer
General Havelock
« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2007, 07:06:58 pm »

True Lifeboat Nutter!!

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
General Havelock
« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2007, 07:44:03 pm »

Is this any good for you??

Thanks for trying. I came up with that one as well...Bluebirds entry is getting closer to the real though. BY.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
General Havelock
« Reply #49 on: September 20, 2007, 07:53:24 pm »

The problem with many of the cranes you find by Googling is that they are self contained with a boiler and firebox. Shipborne cranes would tap into the vessel's main steam supplies for auxiliary machinery and only the pistons and gearing were carried on the crane structure.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 22 queries.