Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Q & A - General Havelock  (Read 61375 times)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
General Havelock
« Reply #100 on: February 05, 2008, 11:10:47 pm »

I prefer a more integrated approach but I do have an iron rule that what goes in must be able to come out - because at some point it will need to! My models tend to be a lot smaller than yours Bryan so weights can be more of an issue in terms of stability etc. No point in building the thing and then finding that the working bits won't fit or are too heavy. With a bigger model the motors etc. are a lesser proportion of the whole displacement.

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
General Havelock
« Reply #101 on: February 05, 2008, 11:36:46 pm »

Bryan, she is looking superb and I can't wat to see her on the water.

I must admit though I do all my propulsion layout in an empty hull before building the model up simply because although I want to be able to remove it all it is still easier to fit it all into an empty hull.  I then prefer to keep openings to the minimum to allow easy access for future removal.  In fact my coaster has flat steel plate as ballast, covered in resin and then finished with a brass plate to mount all the plant to which wouldn't fit through my openings!

It is still interesting to see alternative methods of construction though and we can all learn something from other methods of construction.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
General Havelock
« Reply #102 on: February 06, 2008, 07:14:11 pm »

Bryan, she is looking superb and I can't wat to see her on the water.

I must admit though I do all my propulsion layout in an empty hull before building the model up simply because although I want to be able to remove it all it is still easier to fit it all into an empty hull.  I then prefer to keep openings to the minimum to allow easy access for future removal.  In fact my coaster has flat steel plate as ballast, covered in resin and then finished with a brass plate to mount all the plant to which wouldn't fit through my openings!

It is still interesting to see alternative methods of construction though and we can all learn something from other methods of construction.
Being an Engineer, I presume you polished the brass plate? In "the good old days" I reckon you could eat a dinner off the bottom plates. (We "deckies" used to just polish the stuff).
Notes from a simple seaman

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
General Havelock
« Reply #103 on: February 10, 2008, 09:20:06 pm »

Bryan's post here deleted as photos would not open. Problem fixed by Peter.

Bryan, I do have Paint Shop Pro v8, and I can see the images. When I click on one of the files, a dialogue box opens asking "Open with Windows Image and Fax Viewer", or "other". I chose "other", then scrolled until I found the PSP 8 .exe, then clicked on that, and the image opens. The only suggestion I could make is that perhaps you have saved them as .psp files, rather than JPEG?
Peter.
Perhaps not. On further investigation, it seems that the files are indeed in JPEG format. Maybe Colin has the answer.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
General Havelock
« Reply #104 on: February 10, 2008, 09:21:40 pm »

A clue! I downloaded one pic and tried to open it in Photoshop Elements. It returned the error message that ir was unable to open a spatial lossless JPEG file. On doing a bit of Googling it seems that some cameras have a spatial lossless JPEG setting. It it possible that you have this set on your camera Bryan?

Apparently Paint Shop Pro can handle these files OK as Peter says.

Edit: Maybe you need to save them using a standard JPEG option in Paint Shop Pro?

Stavros

General Havelock
« Reply #105 on: February 14, 2008, 07:05:32 pm »

Topic split to get back on track

Stavros

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
General Havelock
« Reply #106 on: February 19, 2008, 10:40:48 pm »

It looks great Bryan, and the lergy seems to have passed - the pictures are excellent.
Peter.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
General Havelock
« Reply #107 on: February 19, 2008, 10:54:00 pm »

Nearly finished Bryan? Just needs a rudder by the look of it - and a bow thruster of course....

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
General Havelock
« Reply #108 on: February 19, 2008, 11:38:21 pm »

She looks absolutely superb Bryan.

I have been thinking about rigging on my coaster, I'm not sure why it's a long way off yet but you do these things when your mind wanders.  Anyway it is currently my intention to use brass twisted picture hanging wire for the mast shrouds and maybe other items of standing rigging.  It actually looks quite good and I may go for something like electrical heat shrink to make an effective thimble.  Probably a lot of experimenting to do there.

Can't wait to see the General on the water.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

Stavros

General Havelock
« Reply #109 on: February 19, 2008, 11:45:54 pm »

As usual what else do you expect from a craftsman so what's next Bryan

Stavros

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
General Havelock
« Reply #110 on: February 21, 2008, 11:35:12 am »

Nearly finished Bryan? Just needs a rudder by the look of it - and a bow thruster of course....
For this vessel, Colin, the bow thruster is more commonly known as a finger.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
General Havelock
« Reply #111 on: March 13, 2008, 12:09:43 am »

Nice work Bryan.

And very helpful photos of the rudder assembly.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
Re: Q & A - General Havelock by Bryan Young
« Reply #112 on: April 11, 2008, 06:30:49 pm »

I'll risk it again. Is this any help Brian ?
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #113 on: April 11, 2008, 06:37:31 pm »

That's interesting Richard, where did you find it?

Stavros

« Reply #114 on: April 11, 2008, 10:27:48 pm »

ready for August sailing so therefore just right for the mayhem bash at LLanberis

Stavros

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #115 on: April 12, 2008, 06:57:53 pm »

Amazing Bryan, I put that crane on here yesterday and you haven't had a go at me yet. ;)

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #116 on: April 13, 2008, 01:50:54 pm »

Amazing Bryan, I put that crane on here yesterday and you haven't had a go at me yet. ;)
Dicky, I have never had a real go at you...differences of opinion, yes. To be really truthful, I had forgotten about the Q&A page. Sorry, slapped wrist and all that. I shall remember in future. The pic is excellent and very useful. It was the idea of having a model with steam cranes mounted that inspired the entire build...little did I realise that the same cranes would be the biggest bugbear and create the most hassle, as well as giving me a few laughs. If I can get the cranes (and 2 more boats done she should be finished by the time Ellesmere comes around again. As it is, she will probably be at Harrogate as "a model under construction". This under a mild form of duress from other TMBC members that included amputation of body parts that are underused. Ta again. Now all I have to do is scale the pic. Bryan.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #117 on: April 13, 2008, 02:25:21 pm »

Glad to be of help.
Great Model by the way. ;)

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
Re: General Havelock
« Reply #118 on: April 14, 2008, 07:57:13 pm »

Hi Brian

Reminds me of the measuring spoons that mothers use to make baby's feed in milk. They have a semi circular bowl on the end almost exactly like your production. Just a thought to see if they might do the job.

Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
Re: General Havelock
« Reply #119 on: April 15, 2008, 05:28:07 pm »

Hi Brian

Reminds me of the measuring spoons that mothers use to make baby's feed in milk. They have a semi circular bowl on the end almost exactly like your production. Just a thought to see if they might do the job.

Ken

Yeah, you are correct in that they look like measuring spoons...but can you imagine going into a chemists (or whoever sells these things) and asking for a one that fits your scale? Having said that, I think you may have a point as I imagine that they do come in different sizes. I do hope that I haven't spent ages re-inventing the wheel! Nice thought. BY.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #120 on: April 15, 2008, 09:34:59 pm »

What would be the required diameter of the 'bowl' end, Brian.  I'm in the throe's of grandchildren and will make enquiries.

I also need to make these for my proposed Waverley build in the summer. (scale 1/32)

Cheers

Ken

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #121 on: April 15, 2008, 11:06:21 pm »

What would be the required diameter of the 'bowl' end, Brian.  I'm in the throe's of grandchildren and will make enquiries.

I also need to make these for my proposed Waverley build in the summer. (scale 1/32)

Cheers

Ken
Not sure how to answer that one. If you are going to build "Waverley" then you must have plans etc. for it. On those plans there will be at the very least a profile of the vents. As the vent "bowl" as you call it is a diameter then the vertical size will be the same as the horizontal. I would imagine from looking at pics of Waverley that the "open" end of the vents are in the region of 5 feet dia. cheers. BY.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #122 on: April 16, 2008, 09:54:53 am »

Probably a bit less than that I think.

Colin

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #123 on: April 16, 2008, 06:01:31 pm »

Probably a bit less than that I think.

Colin

Yep, you're right again....but knowing absolutely nothing about the Waverley that is printable my comment was just an uninformed guess. I keep forgetting that she was built relatively recently (1947? ish). BY.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #124 on: April 16, 2008, 08:19:14 pm »

Thanks Brian.

I was referring to 'your' construction, and wondered if the bowl's size could be matched to 'baby powdered milk' spoons

I have yet to receive the plans and kit for mine, but judging by the pictures, they look the sort of size you could 'Stow away' on  ;D

Cheers...Ken
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 22 queries.