Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Q & A - TUG CERVIA HULL BUILD  (Read 41434 times)

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Q & A - TUG CERVIA HULL BUILD
« on: March 23, 2008, 09:41:14 pm »

Please feel free to share your Questions and comments onTUG CERVIA HULL BUILD by Bluebird   build in this thread.

(  Build thread here:    TUG CERVIA HULL BUILD  )

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

banjo

Re: Q & A - TUG CERVIA HULL BUILD
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 09:53:04 am »

O0
A copy of my post in thread Smit Nederland build.....

Fitting the bulwarks..
Bluebird fits brass pins as a fixing and guide.
The original Smit kit provided supports with a tongue on the bottom which fitted, like a "blind tennon joint" into the deck.  I have some of these.  I wondered how difficult it would be to cut the "mortice".   I thought 2 small holes close together then "cleaned up" would suffice....

Comments?

O0

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 10:39:31 am »

banjo Hi ya there

My immediate thought is - what is the material your original supports are made from; which you intend to use?  The reason I ask this is the hull you are working on is 48 inches long and your hull is a fair size.   When the model is finished floating on the lake, and coming alongside, first thing you make a grab for to pull it into the side are the bullwarks  :) or, is it just me that does that  :D {-) and, if the supports are not strong enough, you find that they snap off.

The other thing is, the idea of drilling two small holes and then cleaning out will work as long as you can keep them fairly neat - when I say neat, I refer to a nice 'push fit' for the tenon.   The other thing that springs to mind is; the length of the tenon - it should be long enough to go through the actual thickness of the deck and a good way through the supporting timbers or material under the deck.   What I had originally thought of, and this was not for the Cervia build, it was actually for HMS Leeds Castle, (when I did the bulwarks on that model), was to make the pins out of flat brass 1/8 inch wide by 1/16 inch thick and use Plasticard clad on either side, but, leaving sufficient brass at the bottom of the supports sticking out forming a tongue.  This is a possible solution, because, this will produce a fairly rigid support.

Hope this rambling garbage of mine is of some help to you  O0 O0

aye
john e
bluebird
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

banjo

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 11:21:56 am »

O0
Thank you for your prompt reply.

A bit of history of this Smit build to start with...

I took the deck off the original because the builder hadn't trimmed the hull down to the marks, plus the fact that it all came to pieces quickly when submerged in water! (who knows what glue he had used)   I had to remove the bulwarks to get the deck to fit the curve of the newly trimmed hull.   I am using the old bits as patterns for the new.   The "very nice man" at Cornwall Model Boats was able to source some new bits and pieces from Billings which include the bulwark supports, all laser cut, but not a new deck.
So....I can go with the brass pins, as you used in your Cervia build or I can use the new supports which will involve cutting, wait while I count, 72 mortice holes!!  As you see the scope for a "cock up" along the way is immense.   I will still have to disguise the pins afterwards?

I really wanted you to say.."do it this way" it will be quicker and better!!

::)

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 02:28:19 pm »

Hi there Banjo

If the bullwark supports, provided with the original kit and the spares you have, originally worked well apart from the breakdown of the glue, I cannot see any problems apart from the length of time it will take to complete this.  The only advantage really using the brass pin, as I did in the Cervia build, is that you just drill a round hole, the same size as the pin you are using.   This will have the same strength, if not be slightly stronger.

So, if it was I, I would go the brass pin way, but, that is just my opinion for what it is worth.   I am sure there are 100s who would disagree with me.

But, as FLJ would say, suits you Sir.  :D :D

aye
john e
bluebird

banjo

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 02:56:23 pm »

Thanks Bluebird.

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2008, 01:59:15 pm »

hi there all

I have been asked, via a personal message, how I built the davits for the Cervia tug - they are basically all made from Plasticard of various thicknesses plus two old refills from Biro pens for the tubes.  Some copper wire to produce the loops, pins and winding handles.   I have included a sketch which I hope you can all make out; plus, a few photographs of the finished item.   I originally copied the davits from a book which I borrowed from Riggers; I believe the book was called 'Tugs and Fishing Vessels' in their was a good drawing of the davits I built.

Hope this helps also, I have just tried to add this to the end of the Cervia build and realise this topic is now locked - so, over to the moderators to put this on the end of the Cervia build - this would be most helpful.

aye
john e
bluebird

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2008, 03:15:38 pm »

hello there Everyone and Dicky especially  O0

here is proof of the pudding as they say - I know it has been a long while since I finished this model but this is the first time she has had her 'bot' wet - at lake for those interested this is Roker Park Lake Near Sunderland model performed quite well and it was a real pleasurable, relaxing sale....even the rain stopped!  O0

aye
john e

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2008, 09:03:03 pm »

Thats not you in that photo John, who is it ?

Thats a really smart tug though, its just like yours. Seems to go pretty well too. O0
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2008, 09:07:06 pm »

Hi ya Dicky

that was an old guy who was looking round the lake looking quite lost - and bewildered - didnt know what all that water was for - so I asked him if he would like a go at controlling the tub or even the tug - but, I did have to explain to him what that pool of water was called and what it was actually used for  ???  it must be a long time since he has seen a Lake  :angel: :angel: :-X

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2008, 09:27:45 pm »

The blind leading the blind then John. ;)

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2008, 08:18:46 pm »

Looks superb, John.  It's nice to get down to the water, once in a while.

I thought you'd just finished eating a water melon, till I looked closer at your picture.  {-)

ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2008, 08:21:08 pm »

eeeeeeeeeeeeee aye - I see that now - me boat stand is now a water melon  O0 O0 O0 - it really is a tonic to get down to the lake every now and then - the weather forecast isnt looking too bad for the week ahead - so I might get down again with me melon stand and boat.  ::) ::) :D {-) O0

aye
John

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2008, 08:45:13 pm »

Mind you dont overdo it John. You know, all that water------------------------------- {-)

riggers24

• Full Mayhemer
  • Just full of stupid questions
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2008, 10:26:25 pm »

So what Xtals were you using, not 40.805 O0 O0 O0 O0 ;D ;D ;D ;D {-) {-) {-) {-)
I will finish the crash tender someday - Still got tooo many toys to play with

riggers24

• Full Mayhemer
  • Just full of stupid questions
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2008, 10:09:56 pm »

My last posting last night was for the benifit of Bluebird, I received a phone call off him on Sunday. He had spent the best part of the day looking to the TX Xtal 40.805. Workshop in bits and still no further forward. After a quick call to me asking if I had a "extra" Xtal, I told him that the receiver he had found the Xtal in was mine and so was the Xtal.

I didn't laugh to much. Never mind sonna, just keep takin them pills ;D
I will finish the crash tender someday - Still got tooo many toys to play with

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2008, 10:27:13 pm »

Trouble is riggers he is not used to sailing his boats so he doesn't often use crystals. ::)

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2009, 05:50:26 pm »

Very nice, and very helpful. However I can't see from the pics how you arranged the belt reduction drive to the shaft. What pulleys and belt did you use? I'm thinking about building a tug about the same size.

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2009, 06:52:14 pm »

hi there tobyker - sorry for the late response - been busy with several new projects  :-))

the belt drive and pulleys used on the Cervia build and on the Frederique Spashett are an MFA Olympus belt drive part number 1092/4;

I bought this belt drive gearbox directly from MFA and all in with postage I think I may have paid about 16 English pounds for it;

Hope this is of some help.

aye
john e
bluebird

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2009, 11:18:37 pm »

VMT.

tugnut

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2009, 09:16:21 pm »

Hi john very nice build of a great old tug.
I live near Ramsgate where she is, looking a bit sad now.
My unkle bill was skiper on her when she went down outside Tilbury Docks.
Once again a lovely looking model.

John B

tight-lines

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2009, 09:25:33 pm »

that is absolutely unbelivable,,amazing ,,,i cant belive how skilled you are,,,,well done and thank you for sharing your build,,,,im off to see if there are anymore now like this, as i just stumbled upon this while surfing the forum,top draw!

Billyruffian

« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2009, 08:33:18 am »

Getting along great now John following your build.  You have been a great help giving your time freely answering many stuoid questions that I have asked.

One more question if I may?  If I wanted to make Cervia suitable for towing, how would you suggest I alter the hook / superstructure so that it wouldn't get pulled apart when towing?

Many thanks
Cyril

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2009, 08:55:56 am »

Please feel free to share your Questions and comments onTUG CERVIA HULL BUILD by Bluebird   build in this thread.

(  Build thread here:    TUG CERVIA HULL BUILD  )

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Billyruffian

« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2009, 09:58:43 am »

Thanks Martin but now I must be having a senior moment.  On the build thread it states to ask any question on this Q&A thread but on this thread it is telling me to ask on the build thread %%

Maybe I'll pm John
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 21 queries.