Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Q & A - Swordsman A PLAN FOR BEGINNERS by Bluebird  (Read 120221 times)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Q & A - Swordsman A PLAN FOR BEGINNERS by Bluebird
« on: March 23, 2008, 09:56:30 pm »

Please feel free to share your Questions and comments on Bluebird's  A PLAN FOR BEGINNERS - Swordsman   build in this thread.

(  Build thread:    A PLAN FOR BEGINNERS by Bluebird  )

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

GaryM

Re: Q & A - Swordsman A PLAN FOR BEGINNERS by Bluebird
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 11:13:24 pm »

Hi Bluebird

Received my plans of FLJ, mind you I had to wait 17 long hours after phoning till they were delivered to the door! :o  :)

It will be a while before I start, but I was wondering whether it would still be classed as a 'beginners' model if I were to double the size?  Or should I stick to the plans?
I suppose it's because I'm a bit clumsy and I like 'big'

Also where is it best to source 'Liteply' & 'Obechi' my local stores (Wick's, B & Q, Homebase, Focus etc.)  all supply sheets of 'plywood' in various thicknesses, but no branded names and no Balsa.

regards
Gary :)

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 11:25:26 pm »

http://www.slecuk.com/

No, Gary. You make your own ball and chain doubling the thing to 48"!
But if you do..............  ;)
FLJ

GaryM

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 11:37:46 pm »

Thanks FLJ O0 - I think :)

I really want 48" but at the same time don't want to run before I can walk, so to speak. :)
Most of all I want to be dead proud of a model I've constructed myself from some bits of wood. :)  I would also like it to be big. :)

regards

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 08:22:40 am »

Gary
How about a compromise - 36" (i.e. x 150%) with two Speed 600 ECOs in it? Now THAT I could drool over.......... 8)
FLJ

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 11:34:40 am »

hi there Goodmorning GaryM

If you have a look at the photograph which I have just posted - the model of the whaleback in the background is 40 inches long.  Comparing that with the Swordsman in front of her shows that the Swordsman is not that 'small'.   The Swordsman is just right for the beginner especially where there is not much or very little experience from building from a plan.   Double that & one will double their mistakes.   Anyway, FLJ just wants you to spend more money on two speed controllers  :P .

aye
john e
bluebird
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 01:33:56 pm »

More done to the whaleback John. Not on the build yet ?  ::)
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

GaryM

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2008, 08:52:49 pm »

Thanks FLJ and Bluebird,

I guess I'm going to go with Bluebird, in retrospect the size isn't so important, it's the finished model and how 'easy' it was to construct.
I'll still be getting my ESC etc from ACTion. :)

regards

banjo

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2008, 10:10:18 pm »

O0

A wise move....in doubling the size you more than quadruple the power requirements...   (I think) or was that for aircraft?

:o

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2008, 09:05:29 am »

Hi ya there GaryM

Glad to hear that you are going to stick to the original size for this model.  The trick now is to sit back and really enjoy the build - because this is one of the best builds I have ever done from a plan - it was very enjoyable.

As far as power requirements go and electrical stuff, a word of caution here - FLJ has a new speed controller on the block - a 130LOX.  Although the 130LOX is very small - this speed controller is only used to drive Gin and Tonic mixers  :P so please be wary of it.  :-X

aye
John e
bluebird

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2008, 03:03:25 pm »

hello one and all

I have had several emails asking me which/what type of tissue I used to cover the hull with on this build; the answer is basically, it is an aircraft tissue; the same stuff I used to cover the model Keilcraft aeroplanes with.   All I did, was went into the model shop, and then I asked for some lightweight tissue; I am unsure as to whether you can get various grades of this tissue; but, no doubt someone will tell us.

The stuff I used was very thin and light and it was not fibreglass tissue.

aye
john e
bluebird

hazegry

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2009, 02:55:53 am »

I went to model boats magazine and they didnt have the plans listed does anyone know where I could get an electronic copy? I could have a print shop print it out for me this looks like a nice build for me and the kiddo. thanks

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2009, 07:50:45 am »

I went to model boats magazine and they didnt have the plans listed does anyone know where I could get an electronic copy? I could have a print shop print it out for me this looks like a nice build for me and the kiddo. thanks

So I go down to the print shop and have it scanned so I can E-Mail it to you so you can go to the print shop and have it printed............do you own a print shop, by any chance?! As the geezer wot designed and drew it, I can supply these at cost plus postage.
I have a fresh copy already printed out, directly from the original tracings. It's yours for a fiver, delivered to your door.
PM me if you're interested.
FLJ

andrewh

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2009, 08:56:25 am »

Tissue factoids:

John, by getting model aircraft covering tissue you purchased high wet strength - which is important if you like to cover "wet" ie making the tissue moist before covering, laying it over the structure reasonably straight and glueing or doping into position.  The tissue shrinks firmly as it dries so it covers tightly.

There are indeed different weights of aircraft tissue (or at least there used to be) "lightweight" and "heavyweight", and these are still available, but take more searching for.

If anyone wishes to cover "dry" then florists tissue, or the packs that come from stationers will do the trick, although they are not very strong.

5 Star make a wide variety of covering tissues (Starspan) in at least 2 weights
http://www.starspan.co.uk/

Mike Woodhouse supplies a large variety of coverings - including polyester and carbon fibre tissues
 http://www.freeflightsupplies.co.uk/
look under "LW coverings"  (btw Jap tissue means high quality, high wet strength tissue with one side glossy - normally very lightweight)

hope this may help somebody
andrew
stick and tissue freak

hazegry

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2009, 08:05:38 pm »

PM sent and yes I have access to a print shop

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2009, 06:58:52 pm »

Andrewh - hi there

as far as the tissue is concerned which I used on this model - when I applied this extremely lightweight tissue; I didnt bother water shrinking it - the reason being I was following instructions which I had acquired from FLJ on the finishing of this model;

there was no mention of water shrinking the tissue - If I recall rightly I used thinned down dope (no not me wife)  %% to stick it to the balsa wood hull.   Then, when this had dried I gave further applications of thinned down dope on top of the tissue.    No doubt, if you ask FLJ, very nicely ... he will be able to furnish anyone with the finishing instructions.

aye
john e
bluebird

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2009, 07:51:03 pm »

manoss27

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2009, 06:22:38 pm »

hi i am from greece and new in this hobby... i will try to construct my rc boat (swordsman) it will be my first... i found the user guide in forum very usefull thank you!!!!

but i cant find the plans..... :((

please can somebody help me to find the plans please????

thank you all!!!

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2009, 07:21:07 pm »

hi i am from greece and new in this hobby... i will try to construct my rc boat (swordsman) it will be my first... i found the user guide in forum very usefull thank you!!!!

but i cant find the plans..... :((

please can somebody help me to find the plans please????

thank you all!!!

Hello Manos
I can supply copies of the 2-sheet plans. I normally ask for £5 to cover the cost of Xeroxing them plus the postage within the UK. This might be a little more to Greece. If you are interested then please send me a Private Message and we can go from there.
FLJ (aka Dave Milbourn, Designer of Swordsman)

tomh

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2009, 01:30:47 am »

Hi
    After a lapse of about 30 years my interest in model boats has been rekindled. After reading through the forum I am determined to do it properly and would like to start with the Swordsman and work my way up. Is it possible to get a copy of the plans? I would be most grateful for any help

Thanks and regards

Tom

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2009, 08:55:00 am »

Hi
    After a lapse of about 30 years my interest in model boats has been rekindled. After reading through the forum I am determined to do it properly and would like to start with the Swordsman and work my way up. Is it possible to get a copy of the plans? I would be most grateful for any help

Thanks and regards

Tom

Tom
I now have these plans in digital format (PDF) so if you can get a copy shop to print them out (A1 size) then you're welcome to a copy of the file. Just send me your E-Mail address. If not, I can send a printed set by post for £5 to UK.
FLJ ('im wot designed it)

tomh

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2009, 10:01:45 am »

Hi Dave

Plans are great, had them printed today and now organising materials for my first build. I really appreciate your help.

Regards

Tom

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2009, 11:23:21 am »

Tom

You're welcome, mate - and thanks for the OK. I paid top dollar to have those beggars scanned, but it'll save time schlepping down to the copy shop in future.

I'd be interested to see the results of anyone's efforts with this model - we've passed on maybe 20 sets of plans since John did his Masterclass build.

And to Roy CBR............please don't  put a Darke Horse 785 in it. There's precious little water left in Oz as it is, without your model boiling off what's left in your pond.........

FLJ

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2009, 04:23:23 pm »

hi there FLJ

It seems a lifetime since I actually built that little model from your plans.   Funny thing is, I have just set it all up again, with a new battery pack - Hopefully I am taking her down to the Marine Park Lake for the official re-opening of the sailing lake and building by the council officials.
aye
john

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2009, 04:29:52 pm »

hi there FLJ
It seems a lifetime since I actually built that little model from your plans.   Funny thing is, I have just set it all up again, with a new battery pack - Hopefully I am taking her down to the Marine Park Lake for the official re-opening of the sailing lake and building by the council officials.
aye
john

That'll put a smile on your face,dude! Chase a duck or two for me.
FLJ
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11   Go Up

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 22 queries.