Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Q & A - Swordsman A PLAN FOR BEGINNERS by Bluebird  (Read 120198 times)

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Q & A - Swordsman A PLAN FOR BEGINNERS by Bluebird
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2009, 10:25:26 pm »

Hi there

Dodged a thunderstorm tonight and actually sailed the owld Swordsman -  :-))  - I have changed the props around - originally she had a 3 blader on of 35mm diameter.   I swapped it for a 35mm 2 blader racing prop to see how she would perform - to be honest with you there wasnt much difference so I swapped to a 40mm 2 blader and I had to remove the cabin roof to let air into the motor - as it was getting rather WARM  %%  - the motor isnt water cooled.  For anyone buiklding this model; it may be a thought to add a cooling coil to the motor  :-))

Still its a lovely and enjoyable model to sail - very pleasing - literally threw it in the water & away she went.

aye
john
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2009, 10:03:56 am »

Very nice John, I'm getting a bit worried about you, you seem to be spending an awful lot of time at the lake lately. {:-{
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

adam62

« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2010, 07:57:33 pm »

HI
 this is the first thing i've put on the forum . I have been studying this build and Bluebirds build notes has wetted my appetite to have a go , however , i have trouble seeing if i have sent a PM to FLJ about some "electric plans " . Any ideas ,
     yours adam62

craftysod

« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2010, 08:12:46 pm »

A good choice there Adam.
A quite straightforward and pleasing build.
John's build is very helpful,dont worry about if Dave has got your pm.
If he has received it,you will get a quick reply.
I will pm him with your name,so you will get a reply.
Regards
Mark
p.s dont forget to download John's pictures for reference

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2010, 08:22:10 pm »

HI
 this is the first thing i've put on the forum . I have been studying this build and Bluebirds build notes has wetted my appetite to have a go , however , i have trouble seeing if i have sent a PM to FLJ about some "electric plans " . Any ideas ,
     yours adam62
hi Adam62 if FLJ has received your pm he will respond if not FLJ SWITCH ON YOUR HEARING AID
 %)

bluebird

john e

ps good luck with the build if stuck give a shout  :-))

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2010, 08:37:10 pm »

"Plans were sent at 19:52hrs, Sir!"

Where's the photos of all of these boats I've been sending out plans for? I know John has finished his and I saw another at Llanberis, but there must be more than two?
Don't be shy!

FLJ

craftysod

« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2010, 08:42:42 pm »

This is where mine got to Dave,sold it as i wasnt happy.
Going to build another,when the slipway is clear.

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2010, 08:50:30 pm »

I've just read through John's build notes and found a Bloob's Blooper. Where the finishing notes say to use sanding sealer thinned 50/50, it's 50% sealer and 50% thinners (not, as John says, 50% sealer and 50% clear dope). It should be like 'whole' milk in consistency or it won't soak into the tissue, and you'll get brush-marks and runs in it.

Mark
Thanks for the photo. That's three.......................and counting.
FLJ

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2010, 09:07:32 pm »

HELP please don't shoot the messenger  %% %% %% I was only following instructions laid down in stone tablet by a Mr Dave Milbourn in May 1999 Model Boats Magazine - it does say "thin 50-50" but thin with what???? but now I know...duh lack of communicado between management and sub-ordinate ..........  %) %) %) {-) {-) well Dave I tell ya what mine still hasnt fallen apart yet !!!!

aye bloobs

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2010, 10:43:39 pm »

Hwell Dave I tell ya what mine still hasnt fallen apart yet !!!!

It's the way ya mak 'em, Sand Dancer!
FLJ

kiwi

« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2010, 09:29:57 am »

Hi FLJ,
mine sorta shrank. Its only 12" long and should have it done by the end of the month, then will see if adding water brings it upto full size.
I hope to actually build one from your plans at 24" a little later in the year.
This one was drawn from a combination of your plans which you sent late last year, the original plans I purchased way back in the late 60's, and photos. My workshop is a vertical computer desk in the corner or the lounge, hence only small builds at the moment.
cheers
kiwi

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2010, 12:05:37 pm »

That's pretty!
Four and counting............

adam62

« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2010, 04:48:45 pm »

You might like to know that my plans are now of my stick and on to A1 sheet . Nice boy in well known stationers let me have a double copy free , certainly going back there .   I have now put them on to grease proof paper (traced ) and will attempt to stick them to the liteply ready to be cut round , although i can't do any of this on my own as my son James is dead keen to help ! Hoping to get to Portishaed next sunday to see what goes on and to make contact , always helps to pick someones brains .

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2010, 07:02:57 pm »

1 Place your plan on a flat, smooth surface and secure it with tape.

2 Lay the tracing paper over it and secure it with tape.

3 Using a pencil, trace the plan with as much or little detail as you need.

4 Once you have finished tracing the plan, remove the plan from underneath the tracing paper.

5 Turn the tracing paper over so that the tracing is face down and the blank side of the paper is facing up.

6 Coat the WHOLE blank side of the paper with graphite (lead) using your pencil.

To coat the blank side of the tracing paper, hold your pencil almost completely sideways with the lead touching the paper and move your pencil lead back and forth to create an even coat of gray or black surface.

7 Obtain a new surface, building material, to transfer your drawing.

8 Place the drawing paper on a flat, smooth surface and secure it with tape.

9 Place the tracing paper gently on top of the building material with the graphite surface face down. You may secure it in place as well.

10Trace the image, with pressure, onto the building material.

11Gently remove the tracing paper when you have completed tracing the drawing. You will now have your transferred drawing on your desired surface.

The above was copied off the internet on how to trace - because I have been asked once or twice when I trace, do I cut the traced image out - no I dont - but obviously I do once its been put on the building material.

LarryW

« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2010, 03:14:29 pm »

LarryW

« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2010, 03:21:57 pm »

hi here is my build of swordsman a bit more tweaking and its ready to launch   :D larry

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2010, 07:47:38 pm »

Hi there

Lovely model of the Swordsman - how did you manage to get the chrome around the windscreen Larry?

Cracking model

aye
john

LarryW

« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2010, 08:56:02 pm »

hi bluebird chrome windows on swordsman is greeting card craft card purchased from Wilkinson's store in bristol pattens photo copied from plan prite stick glued to back of card then with a sharp surgical type knife cut with care cut round patten then cut round the outer profile of srceens onto card mount board or any good card you now have a patten to cut out clear styrene  now it gets tricky now with clear contact glue i use Bostitch allpurpose smear the edges of card chrome frames when tacky with care stick chrome frames on to clear screens now treat chrome card edges with clear humbrol now lightly cover faces of chrome frames this is to make it water repellent now with screens now bonded together with bostic ap position units over screen cut outs it worked for me i use card  a lot on my models see my puffer on scratch building from scrap i am trying out some chrome fablon on some on some more small units so far so good i this helps cheers Larry O0

Ivanhoe

« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2010, 08:32:10 pm »

I suppose that you can call me a  born again boater.  I have come back to model boats after around 40 years. 
The last kit I built back in the days of yore was the Aerokits Swordsman, and  I found this build whilst trying to see if I could get the plan for the 33" Aerokits model, but I have now decided to give this version a try instead as a re-introduction to the hobby.

I live in Northern Ireland, so there are large amounts of open water available in the shape of numerous loughs (lakes) within a short distance of where I live, if my build of this smaller Swordsman is successful I shall probably build the bigger model for i/c power later on.

I have pm'ed FLJ with a request for the electronic version of the plan, and hopefully will be building shortly.  If I consider the results to be good enough I will post pics at a later date.

Wilf

LarryW

« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2010, 08:49:55 pm »

hi there you cant go wrong with this model build is a dodle if you follow the links it performs lovley on the water and theres plenty info on line for details cheers larry

Ivanhoe

« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2010, 07:08:46 pm »

Can I ask for a little advice on r/c for the Swordsman?

I have a 35mhz 4-function outfit, used previously for aircraft, that I want to use in this boat, but of course the Rx aerial is much too long for a boat, what's best to do about it? I obviously don't need the range that I do for A/c so is it ok to cut the aerial wire and attach it to a whip aerial? (I have serveral rx's so cutting an aerial on one would be no problem)
Back in my previous modelling life all r/c was on 27mhz (as I believe is still legal for boats) but I'm darned if I can remember what aerial setup I used in boats then, it's a LONG time ago!

Any help much appreciated, thanks

Wilf

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2010, 07:12:50 pm »

hi ya there Wilf

I am afraid 35 mhz is illegal for surface craft such as boats and cars in UK.  You would definitely need to have a 40mgz set or a new 2.4 ghz which everyone is going crackers for - or - dig out your old 27 mghz - but definitely the 35 mhz is a no-no on surface craft.

john e

bluebird

LarryW

« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2010, 02:27:47 pm »

hi there by a .set  spektum dx5e you will have no problems i have 1 trani and 5 receivers all work well on all boats all same set up.larry :-))

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2010, 07:21:34 pm »

Hello there Wilf

If you fancy a model with a bit more umph in it, try and get hold of last month and this month's model boats mag.  I did a build for the Shamrock in there - and this is another plan by FLJ same sort of style as the Swordsman; but, you can upgrade the motor a little better.   After I finished the build for the magazine, I upgraded the motor in the Shamrock to a Graupner 600E and by hey it doesnt half fly.    There's another bit of food for thought for you.

aye
john

Ivanhoe

« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2010, 08:16:18 am »

hi ya there Wilf

I am afraid 35 mhz is illegal for surface craft such as boats and cars in UK.  You would definitely need to have a 40mgz set or a new 2.4 ghz which everyone is going crackers for - or - dig out your old 27 mghz - but definitely the 35 mhz is a no-no on surface craft.

john e

bluebird

Now that shows you what I know!

Bit of a blow that, so I suppose I must look around for a new system, or go back to flying and give up the idea of getting back into boats
Oh well, we'll have to see

Thanks for the info

Wilf
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 22 queries.