Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Q & A - Swordsman A PLAN FOR BEGINNERS by Bluebird  (Read 120175 times)

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
Re: Q & A - Swordsman A PLAN FOR BEGINNERS by Bluebird
« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2010, 08:47:46 am »

what TX do you have on 35mhz and does it have a buddy lead socket or better still a module ?

Peter

Ivanhoe

« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2010, 04:08:08 pm »

hi ya there Wilf

I am afraid 35 mhz is illegal for surface craft such as boats and cars in UK.  You would definitely need to have a 40mgz set or a new 2.4 ghz which everyone is going crackers for - or - dig out your old 27 mghz - but definitely the 35 mhz is a no-no on surface craft.

john e

bluebird

Further to my R/C problems.  I've got hold of a used Futaba "Attack" 2-fuction transmitter on 40mhz since my last message.  I just need to find a 2-function 40mhz Rx now at a sensible price, and then I should be cooking! I have all the battery packs and servos anyway.

The build is going OK, I've ordered a couple of 540 motors, and I'm looking for shaft and tube now, I'll post photos if the finished vessel is good enough!

Wilf

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: April 17, 2010, 07:36:20 pm »

hi there Wilf

check that Futaba attack transmitter to make sure it is either FM or AM for your receiver.   As for the receiver Boatboy has put on, that is a Cirrus 4 channel FM receiver and if your transmitter is AM, you will have problems.

I do know the AM receivers are just as cheap for the 2 channel ones.

aye
john e
bluebird
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

knoby

« Reply #54 on: April 17, 2010, 08:33:03 pm »

Hi all, just a few pics of my 17 inch swordsman as far as it has progressed. Its built using a George Turner hull & a scaled down set of drawings from the model boats free plan. I was at a show & saw the hulls for sale & knew i had the plan somewhere, so I thought it a good opportunity to get acquainted with brushless motors on the cheap. i made the whole top removable in one piece, as on the larger swordsman models, to allow plenty of room to move things about as i guessed(correctly as it happens) that there would be lots of experimenting. it was first tried with a 1200kva outrunner that I scrounged from a friend who into electric flight, 6 ancient nimh cells from my car racing days & a 35 amp esc.

First run was disappointing, although proved the boat worked OK. Currently theres a 2800kva outrunner in it ( scrounged from the same source) this gives a much better speed, but the bec on the controller cuts off after 4 mins running. So theres some work to do yet, however its been shelved for a while while i work on another project, but i will return to it as soon as I can.

Cheers Glenn.

LarryW

« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2010, 09:10:19 pm »

swordsman in action cheers larry  :-))

Ivanhoe

« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2010, 03:23:03 pm »

hi there Wilf

check that Futaba attack transmitter to make sure it is either FM or AM for your receiver.   As for the receiver Boatboy has put on, that is a Cirrus 4 channel FM receiver and if your transmitter is AM, you will have problems.

I do know the AM receivers are just as cheap for the 2 channel ones.

aye
john e
bluebird

Thanks for the advice, John, there is nothing on the tx to say if it's AM or FM unfortunately, just has "Attack digital proportional T2DR" does anyone know how I find out? (Short of trying rx's till one works!)

Ivanhoe

« Reply #57 on: April 21, 2010, 11:45:28 am »

As a rank beginner (as far as electric power in boats goes) could someone supply me with a "child's guide" to suppressing the 540 motor in the Swordsman?  I have the motor, and the suppressers, which came with it, but I don't know exactly how you solder them in place. I assume  it must be to the power connectors?
Any help very much appreciated.

Wilf

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: April 21, 2010, 12:26:27 pm »

Hi Wilf this may help :-)) half way down the page

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=13888.0

aye
john e

bloobs
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Ivanhoe

« Reply #59 on: April 21, 2010, 04:43:45 pm »

Hi Wilf this may help :-)) half way down the page

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=13888.0

aye
john e

bloobs

Just what I needed, thanks a lot, John  :-))

Ivanhoe

« Reply #60 on: April 27, 2010, 01:29:18 pm »

Still working my R/C installation out, I now have sorted-out a 27mhz fully working system for my Swordsman, can I now go back to my original question about the Rx aerial?

Is it OK to just run the aerial round the hull, perhaps under the deck? or is it better to fit some form of whip aerial?  If the latter, do I shorten the aerial wire to attach to the whip, or leave it full length?  Obviously with a boat this size, range is not really a consideration, I would think that it would be well out of sight long before it was out of range!

I know these questions may seem extremely simple to most people, but I have forgotten most of what I once knew about R/C in boats, so please bear with me!

Wilf

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: April 27, 2010, 11:08:55 pm »

lovely pics Larry :-))

wilf, you could run the antenna wire inside the hull, for cosmetic reasons, but you will shorten the range. Some Huntsman and Swordsman do have large aerials on the real boats, halfway down the side, have a look on the Fairey owners club site at owners pics, so you could achieve a realistic look with the aerial outside the boat

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #62 on: April 28, 2010, 07:51:39 am »

If you look carefully you can see a yellow wire which disappears under the deck at the transom position. There's a 10" whip aerial there which plugs into a short length of brass tube set into the deck, and the aerial connection terminates in a 1mm socket. The corresponding plug is soldered to the shortened Rx aerial wire and the Rx is fitted out of site in the engine bay, just under the windscreen position.
I have a few of these 1mm plugs and sockets kicking around somewhere - just haven't got round to putting them on the price list yet!
FLJ

Ivanhoe

« Reply #63 on: April 28, 2010, 11:56:30 am »

If you look carefully you can see a yellow wire which disappears under the deck at the transom position. There's a 10" whip aerial there which plugs into a short length of brass tube set into the deck, and the aerial connection terminates in a 1mm socket. The corresponding plug is soldered to the shortened Rx aerial wire and the Rx is fitted out of site in the engine bay, just under the windscreen position.
I have a few of these 1mm plugs and sockets kicking around somewhere - just haven't got round to putting them on the price list yet!
FLJ

Many thanks, FLJ, that makes it very clear, I'd probably never get this boat finished if it weren't for the help of the folks on this forum!

Wilf

wotu2uk

« Reply #64 on: June 06, 2010, 01:26:59 am »

I know that this is preaching to the converted, but a note of caution concerning 40 and 27 MHz aerials.
If you need to join to a boat mounted whip, ensure that the total length is the same overall as the
original wire aerial from the receiver, ie: if your whip aerial is 10 inches long, shorten the aerial wire to the
base of the whip by 10 inches.

Shortening or lengthening the aerial from standard will result in reduced range.

John

Testsubjec

« Reply #65 on: August 16, 2010, 08:47:00 pm »

Evening Guys,

I am looking to start building this little beauty after a number of years away from the hobby. I haven’t built anything since I was child when me and my father use to take on projects which lasted months!! Those were the days spending time in his workshop (the hut) on evenings after school and during those Sunday afternoons.

Looking on, I am now looking forward to acquiring the tools needed for me to complete this project and have noticed that I cannot seem to find anywhere selling the small G Clamps or Quick Clamps and also selling the types wood needed.

If anyone out there is able to point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #66 on: August 16, 2010, 08:53:40 pm »

Send a personal message to bluebird he'll help you out.

Scroll down the forum index page to "Members List"

Find bluebird on this list

Click on name

When box opens click on "Send this member a personal message."

Away you go.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #67 on: August 16, 2010, 11:07:50 pm »

Lite ply is available in sheets from SLEC.
FLJ

Testsubjec

« Reply #68 on: August 18, 2010, 03:16:21 pm »

Thanks for the information. Just getting the tools and materials together now, so hopefully should be able to start work on this boat within a couple of days.

LarryW

swordsman plan
« Reply #69 on: September 29, 2010, 10:45:58 am »

hi is the free download plan still aveble if so where..... cheers larry

sentry

Re: swordsman plan
« Reply #70 on: September 29, 2010, 11:17:14 am »

Hi Larry,
 I think  FLJ has one as I believe he got so fed up of people coping it and selling them on flea bay he has in in some sort of file to down load Hope am Right and hope its of help.
                                 Regards, Sentry.

LarryW

« Reply #71 on: September 29, 2010, 05:29:32 pm »

thank you ; ..........larry .

The long Build

« Reply #72 on: September 29, 2010, 06:26:21 pm »

Hi Larry
Have sent you a PM

Regards
Larry  %%

gwa84

« Reply #73 on: December 11, 2010, 12:40:50 am »

hi all are the hard coppy plans stil available from FLJ i cant pm him as he is showing as a guest on mayhem so no pm option hope i can still get them  :}

gwa84

« Reply #74 on: December 11, 2010, 12:41:53 am »

is FLJ still aroun would like a hard coppy of the plans if ther still available  :-))
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 22 queries.