Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Q & A - Swordsman A PLAN FOR BEGINNERS by Bluebird  (Read 120171 times)

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
  • Why on earth do I do this?
Re: Q & A - Swordsman A PLAN FOR BEGINNERS by Bluebird
« Reply #225 on: June 23, 2020, 08:18:39 am »

If you don't want to use a brushless motor then a standard 540/1 will do, with a 7.2v NiMH pack and a 15-20A ESC. https://www.componentshop.co.uk/540-standard-dc-motor-mounting-bracket.html

Dave M

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #226 on: June 23, 2020, 11:50:24 am »

Finishing notes here https://www.modelboats.co.uk/news/article/finishing-and-sealing-of-wooden-hulls/18771

Dave M

I have no confidence attempting this so would like to see this done, from start to finish, any videos anywhere... anyone?   :-)

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #227 on: June 23, 2020, 12:05:50 pm »

I have no confidence attempting this so would like to see this done, from start to finish, any videos anywhere... anyone?   :-)

Here you go, Martin (she's got a very posh voice, too.....)  O0     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yP05qv3QtUk
DM

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #228 on: June 23, 2020, 06:35:07 pm »

hi there

I believe this is the type of rudder I used in the build of my original of the Fairey Swordsman but - I can guarantee that I didn't pay the price they want on here (see link) - I believe mine actually came from a model shop - but - that is when there were more model shops around.  If it were me I would do as suggested - put doublers either side of the keel & use the rudder that you have.  I didn't realise this build was still around - it must have had a few views now :-) .     This was a nice model to build - and - I do have the plans for the Fairey Huntsman (the one with the brushless motor) the owld "xxxxx" Milbourn drew that to do sometime in the future.

John (ex-bluebird)

https://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?WD=rudder%20brass&PN=Billing%2dboats%2dfittings%2dF703%2dRudder%2d22x77mm%2dBF703%2ehtml#SID=18
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #229 on: June 23, 2020, 08:14:58 pm »

Just wondering which five-letter word was XXX'd out there, John....
I think this would be nearest to the rudder I used - subject to checking the dimensions.  https://www.modelboatbits.com/MINI-RUDDER   It was a long time ago now (>20 years).
Are you still as young and lovely as you were when first we met?   :kiss:
Nah - me neither!
DM

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #230 on: June 24, 2020, 09:01:13 am »

'XXXXX' should actually 6 x's hahaha Dave - so why put 5 I have no idea.  But, it has the same meaning as our friend with the laptop programmable speed controller  :} after he has shoved too many amps through it - aye - he has never let us know the result has he?

:embarrassed: :embarrassed: {-) {-) {-) {-)

john

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #231 on: June 24, 2020, 09:23:42 am »

'XXXXX' should actually 6 x's hahaha Dave - so why put 5 I have no idea.  But, it has the same meaning as our friend with the laptop programmable speed controller  :} after he has shoved too many amps through it - aye - he has never let us know the result has he?

:embarrassed: :embarrassed: {-) {-) {-) {-)

john
Are you surprised? He merits only four XXXX....   %)
DM

SwordsmanDreamer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #232 on: July 06, 2020, 08:16:04 pm »

Hello Dave / Chris / John / all

Thanks very much indeed for your various replies. I hadn't realised that there were new replies. I used to get emails telling me when this happens, but apparently not any more, oh well, i shall try and check more often. Mind you i have been so busy at work, and then with my studies outside of work, and then the wife has had me at decorating as well, there has hardly been any time anyway.

It's interesting that none of the articles / videos etc seem to talk about combining ezekote and tissue - presumably people just don't do that, but what i am wondering is, is there any intrinsic reason why you couldn't do that ? (seems unlikely, but i suppose glass fibres are ultimately silicon, so pretty much inert, and conversely i suppose the tissue may just have some kind of volatility against the ezekote or vice-versa ?)

It seems that brushed motors need / may need supressors (due to the brushes i think), so i guess that's an additional complication over the brushless, on the other hand the 540 motors in general are somewhat cheaper (I see that there is one for £5 at action electronics at present). Do brushed and brushless require different types of speed controllers ? Then i guess i need a "BEC". Ultimately I'm trying to get to the bottom of a rough total cost of either installation.

It it helps/ I have a couple of turnigy 2200 3-cell batteries, 11.1 V, 25c - 35c , that i bought last year during a brief foray into model planes, and i have a charger / discharger that supposedly does ac/dc ,  lipos /  lihv / life / liion / nimh / nicd / pb .  Last year I did the research to understand what the battery specs etc meant, but it's gone from memory now, so have to start on that quest again when i get  the time (I should be attending to my studies even as i write !).

Thanks again.

Best regards

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #233 on: July 07, 2020, 01:15:48 pm »

Hi Nick

You're not alone, I haven't done anything on my boats for weeks due to having to do other things, mainly decorating! For email notifications see the Notify/Unnotify tab at the bottom of the page.

I'm guessing that tissue is not mentioned as you usually use something like dope to shrink it and it needs to be thin to penetrate it whereas resins are quite thick. The lightweight cloth works well.

Yes, you do need different ESCs for brushless and the motors are more expensive but for boats like the Swordsman they really are a better choice and unless you've got a lot of boats (I'm building a few!) then the overall cost isn't that great.

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #234 on: July 07, 2020, 01:28:38 pm »

Do brushed and brushless require different types of speed controllers ? Then i guess i need a "BEC".
There has been a lot of information on this Forum already about brushless motors etc. https://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,13538.0.html

In brief, yes they do and no, you probably don't - because most speed controllers have BEC built-in already.

I've tried using Eze-Kote resin with modelling tissue and it really needs something thinner to soak through and make it stick properly, like dope. 34gsm glass cloth is the proper stuff to use, following either my article or the Deluxe Materials video.

Dave M

SwordsmanDreamer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #235 on: November 25, 2020, 07:52:14 pm »

Hello all

I like the look of the decking that has been used on the Swordsman that John built, which appears to be the same model in Dave's article https://www.modelboats.co.uk/news/article/finishing-and-sealing-of-wooden-hulls/18771 . Would anyone like to suggest what that is, i.e., is it a veneer, or a ply, and where can it or something similar be obtained etc. Alternately, if that is a very expensive option etc, what might be a good choice of colour of paint, to paint the deck with, to produce something similar looking (I'm not thinking of trying to paint on a grain effect, so just a uniform covering (I'm also not interested in trying to create a teak-planked look)) ?

Also, with the temporary triangle of ply that is used to help with the alignment of the prop tube, I have come to find that I rather like the look of it, in that I prefer the outline of the hull with it, over without it, so I was wondering if it might be ok to keep it as a permanent feature ? I suppose it might make the boat harder to turn, through its effect on directional stability, but on the other hand, perhaps it might actually help in "repairing" the torn / turbulent water behind the tube, as the boat goes through the water, due to assisting with the reestablishment of a "laminar flow" type of situation, so the top part of the rudder might encounter smoother water, perhaps ?

Any advice will be gratefully received.

Thanks

Stuw

• Full Mayhemer
  • slow motion modeller...
« Reply #236 on: March 15, 2021, 03:29:38 pm »

Just come across this thread which is helpful after all these years! Thanks for creating the build log John.

In answer to Swordsman Dreamer second part about the fillet for prop tube. Can’t be harmful apart from not suggested in build log. It adds stability and support to prop tube and may function as you suggest ref laminar flow. I am using one on my 25+ year old Lesro Javelin.

2 Lesro Javelins... and that’s it. Not even close to finished!

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #237 on: March 15, 2021, 04:43:59 pm »

Stuw.

It was a pleasure to do this blog.

do you know what the greatest heartbreak is for me; not so long ago, before the late great Dave Milbourn did his new set of plans and put the build in Model Boats magazine - he tried to persuade me to do a similar blog to this one for his new plans - although I didnt really refuse to do it - I said I didnt have the time at that present moment - I had other commitments - Lord how I wish I had made time.

John

Stuw

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #238 on: March 16, 2021, 08:23:25 am »

Stuw.

It was a pleasure to do this blog.

do you know what the greatest heartbreak is for me; not so long ago, before the late great Dave Milbourn did his new set of plans and put the build in Model Boats magazine - he tried to persuade me to do a similar blog to this one for his new plans - although I didnt really refuse to do it - I said I didnt have the time at that present moment - I had other commitments - Lord how I wish I had made time.

John

Sorry to hear about Dave M passing. I have never met him (or anyone yet) but I have found this site absolutely fantastic and it’s helped me get through all these Lockdowns and worries about job losses etc etc. All his great gen (and that of many) is captured on here and other places as long as this site keeps going.

Don’t beat yourself up about it, Thanks again for your posts. I am currently restoring my old Lesro Javelin that I built in 1994. It’s spent most of its life in my parents attic but hasn’t done too badly. I’m busy converting it from glow to brushless and repairing it. I’ve found this site invaluable. At times it’s hard to make a decision on paints/adhesives as many people have many fixed ideas, But I’m getting there by trawling all the new and old threads.

I’m actually interested in making a model from plan in the future. I wasn’t sure if I could do it, but having followed your build log, I reckon I could! Nothing too adventurous yet. No fancy deck planks but maybe a Swordsman or similar.

Do you know the best way to get hold of a hard copy plan these days similar to the one you used? I’m happy to pay for it if I can help the money go to the best cause. Or are they as rare as hens teeth?

(Edited to add, I’ve just looked back and found that DM handed plans to following model shop. Is this the best place to get them still?)

https://www.sarikhobbies.com/product/swordsman-plan-mm2058/

All the best,

Stu

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #239 on: March 16, 2021, 09:13:26 am »

Hi Stuw

Thank you for this link - yes they are the plans - I had the original ones which were printed on both sides - good that obviously now you get 2 sheets.   As far as I know this is the place to purchase the genuine ones.  We have seen several copies of this plan crop up on Ebay and which are, shall we say dubious.    I wouldnt vouch for the quality from Ebay - I have had several plans from Ebay and found sometimes they are only half there.

John

Stuw

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #240 on: March 16, 2021, 09:19:32 am »

Thanks John. I’ve read about some not so accurate plans out there!

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #241 on: March 19, 2021, 12:04:19 pm »

Hi Chaps

Yes, I've bought some drawings off EBay which it would be difficult to build from. Reason being that they were  part kit drawings and part templates drawn by someone who must have had a blindfold on, the quality is terrible! The kit drawing parts, Aerokits and Veron, were fine though and Ok for me as I produce my own drawings from the plan and side views.

As far as the deck goes, I'm lucky enough to have one of the Huntress prototypes which Dave built for his plans and he has used a veneer. It has fairly straight and close grain and once varnished looks very effective. It looks to be the same as in the photograph of his Swordsman shown in the build.

With my Huntsman 28 build I used birch ply and gloss varnished it as it was a look I fancied but the grain is all over the place.

With Dave's SLEC kits laser etched ply is used for the planking which makes life easier! The grain can be a bit unscale like though.

A tip if you go down the veneer route. Glue it to the deck before you fit the upstand for the superstructure. You can then sand to shape all round then without having to cut accurately to the upstand. It can be done though if you use the deck as a template.

Chris   
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #242 on: March 19, 2021, 02:40:46 pm »

Here's the Huntress.

Chris

Stuw

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #243 on: April 29, 2021, 02:21:14 pm »

Here's the Huntress.

Chris

Chris - what wood and finish is used for the deck on that Huntress? Is it just stained ply? Looks great. Also the grab rails look same colour. What type of wood are they made if you know. I haven’t a clue about having wood showing on decks etc as I only apply paint but would be interested in this process. I’m guessing it’s on this forum somewhere.

canabus

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boats a hole in the water you pour money into!!!
« Reply #244 on: April 30, 2021, 04:54:10 am »

Hi John

I have a PDF copy of both the Aerokits plan and Connelly plan.

Free if you PM with you email address.

Canabus

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #245 on: April 30, 2021, 12:12:14 pm »

Stu

As per my previous post the deck has been covered in a veneer. Don't know what timber it is though, something with fine straight grain. It has been finished with matte or satin varnish.

The roof rails are lighter than mahogany, which is often used, and could be kebab skewers which have been stained.

Chris

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #246 on: May 01, 2021, 06:58:56 pm »

Hi Canabus

Sorry for the delay in replying, that is so kind of you, however I do have these in paper format.   I am very grateful to you for your kindness.

John

Stuw

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #247 on: May 03, 2021, 05:00:29 pm »

Thanks Chris. I’ve re-read your post!

I’ve now got an old copy of the 1999 magazine with article to assist and ordered a set of plans from the link above. I plan to do this build at some point in the future but getting as much info on it now as I can. Hope to share info on it at some point. Never built off a plan before but will give it a go!

Stupid question alert... when cutting out the parts that have been drawn onto the wood from tracings etc, do you sand away the marked line so it’s just gone or leave it some visible. Assuming a thin pen line. I’m thinking the former but having doubts! Don’t laugh please. Having only assembled pre-cut models this is important for me.

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #248 on: May 03, 2021, 05:27:35 pm »

Hi Stu

Will look forward to following your build.

Chris

canabus

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boats a hole in the water you pour money into!!!
« Reply #249 on: May 04, 2021, 09:03:58 am »

Hi Stuw

Sand down to the marker line on frames and keel, but on the skins and deck leave 2/3mm for a bit play room.

Canabus
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 22 queries.