Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hull repair  (Read 1995 times)

nightowl2912

Hull repair
« on: March 24, 2008, 12:42:02 pm »

Hi All,
can anyone advise the best way for repairing a damaged hull
it's a plank on frame hull, witch been sat in the shed for some time
and started to split

Andy

White Ensign

• Full Mayhemer
  • Limits must be limited!
Re: Hull repair
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 12:52:08 pm »

Andy, to be honest- just repairing the crackles does not make any sense to me as the crackles will come up on another space. In my opinion, if you want to keep the hull:
Sand it all down to the wood and prepare it on the outside with two fine layers of fibreglass and Epoxy-mould. Just outside- leave the inside as it is. The filler, primer and new paint.

The only soultion I see, which will give you a satisfying result. Just to repair the cracks does not make sense to me. You`ll be disappointed latest next season again....

Hope that was out of help anyway,
Jörg
When God created planet earth, he made it with 75% of water. Bet he had the modelboaters on his mind!

Peterm

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 02:37:41 pm »

Andy,   My son and I had the same sort of problem with a Chriscraft Cobra which we had built some years ago.   Just recently we decided to do the job properly.   Paint stripper, cleaned back to bare wood, good sanding, P38 to fill in any minor gaps between planks then eight coats of really thinned down yacht varnish.   We decided to paint over the varnish, but it could have been left plain.   The whole process took about 7 days, but was well worth it, the boat now looks brand new.
I`m not just old, I`m ancient

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 02:59:21 pm »

It would be far better to do the whole hull as previously stated.
They look like shrinkage cracks as opposed to damage, so the wood will have dried out and shrunk slightly.
1 tip to bear in mind with dried out wood, don't use wet and dry wet.
This will dampen the wood and unless you are going to completely dry her out again can cause small local cracks as the wet part dries out again.
Best of luck with her.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Stavros

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 04:50:16 pm »

This reminds me very much of the problem I have just sorted in restoring the fireboat.Sorry to say it but there is no simple cure to this one,strip all the paint off to assess the damage.What I personally would do is to trikle some wood glue, white pva into the cracks before doing anything elses.The best way in my opinion is to coat the outside in epoxy the same way as Bluebird has done in his plan build no3 sited in Masterclass topics.Then paint using Halfords acrylics,this in my mind is far the best way to do it.And lets face it with a boat of that age it is well worth doing as it will last for years

Stavros

nightowl2912

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 09:42:57 pm »

Hi All, thank you for the advice looks like iv got some work to do
heres a pic of the rest of it (cresta)

thank you again

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2008, 10:21:48 pm »

Lovely lines to her

Bob
Officially a GOG.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 21 queries.