Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cordage.  (Read 2502 times)

Langsford

Cordage.
« on: March 25, 2008, 04:43:55 pm »

Hi,
I am currently building the Mountfleet "Bangarth". Frank Hinchcliff says in his instructions that the cordage should be died with leather dies or similar and run over a beeswax block to stiffen it. No problem with that but I decided to colour the cordage by dipping it in waterproof Indian Ink and the hanging it up to dry.
This worked very well and the Indian Ink stiffened the cordage jusy the right amount.
Thought Mayhemmers might be interested in this method!
Cheers, J O0ohn

barryfoote

Re: Cordage.
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 05:57:18 pm »

Jhn,

Never thougght of doing it that way, but will give it a go I think on my next one. Frank had some great ideas and is sadly missed by family, friends and the modelling world in general. Is the Bangarth up to Franks normal standard?.

Barry

Langsford

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 10:11:07 pm »

Hi Barry,
Yes, Bangarth is a great kit but with a lot of detail as you would expect. I have made a few small changes after looking ar several models at different shows. I think making small changes (? improvements) is all part of the joy of model boat building.
Cheers, John

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 03:42:01 am »

Is Indian ink waterproof?
Is it affected by UV?
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

barryfoote

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 07:04:03 am »

Hi Barry,
Yes, Bangarth is a great kit but with a lot of detail as you would expect. I have made a few small changes after looking ar several models at different shows. I think making small changes (? improvements) is all part of the joy of model boat building.
Cheers, John

A man out of my own heart.....Doing just that and having some success at it was what made me have a go at scratch building. Love those old Caldercraft /Mountfleet models.....

Next try an MMM model. Kits they are not as all I bought was the hull and template pack. Scratch building the rest is great fun and if there is anything you can't manage to build, MMM will supply the fitting....

All the very best and don't forget the photos, I would love to see some of her being built.

Barry
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 21 queries.