Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Ebay problems & complaints!!!  (Read 17729 times)

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Ebay problems & complaints!!!
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2008, 09:49:28 am »

What really puzzles me is ! WHY..anybody would  wish to buy anything off a seller who has feedback like his :o.....read feedback it is genuine you cannot fiddle it ... ::)

Until he flooded eBay with dozens of items simultaneously ("having a clear-out"), his feedback was very good. It then took a dive. I can think of a few reasons but these would only be speculation and I'm not going up that route in public!

Stavros - I'm aware of the possibility of legal proceedings; that's why I was very careful in what I said. However, in general, I agree that great care is needed when posting about 3rd parties. I also appreciate the sentiments in your PM but unfortunately going to Doncaster would cost more than the items are worth and the alternative could see us all in gaol - no matter how satisfying.  >:(

Cheers,

Barry M

mogsy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2008, 10:08:38 am »

I cannot fault the paypall and feedback system employed on e.bay.

I have made in excess of 30 purchases (allbeit over a four year period) and have twice had to use the complaints procedure I received an extremely apologetic e.mail from the vendor and my money back within 3 days.

I think the key to all this is a.) Check the vendors feedback including what items he has sold in the past and check how many different people he has sold to.
b.) Use paypall for the added protection it offers.
c.) If you fancy bidding put in a low one to kick off and use the ask seller a question function. Ask something really specific  If they are scammers half the time they wont even bother to answer. Their replies often tell more of a story than feedback - belive me.
d.)Also be prepared to travel or ask the vendor if they will take a deposit on the item and you pay a cash balance on collection when you are in their area.

Happy e.baying
Mogs

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2008, 10:48:54 am »

Mogsy,

a. There was nothing in the feedback at that time to raise any alarms.
b. Paypal was not offered - cheques only.
c. Noted
d. Travelling is only viable if costs and distance make it viable. From memory, there were about 40 items on sale with prices varying from about £4 to £270. How much extra would you pay to travel for a £10 item?

Cheers

Barry M

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the best model boat site
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2008, 11:17:18 am »

I was lucky on the last buy from Ebay. It was worded "Don't buy the book buy the disc instead". I did, got the disc in the post a few days later and realised it was a copy (Naughty Ebayer) Installed it in the computer and it worked o.k. Next I got an email from Ebay / Paypal  saying the buyer/goods had been taken off Ebay and gave me instructions how to reclaim my money. As I was happy with the disc I let it go but I always try and deal with ebayers that have shops like Wingertaz,or Station-Road-Baseboards etc.,etc. So just be a little careful out there. If a seller on ebay is offering the CSCS Health and Safety Test on disc. Don't buy it, get the book and I have got one now.   O0

Martin   :D

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2008, 01:19:54 pm »

Some more info:-

His 100% track record as a seller was built up over a month with 13 sales to 7 buyers. Perhaps certain conclusions can be drawn from this.

Another buyer tells me that he arranged to collect his goods in person  but when he arrived was given a story that the seller had been burgled.

He is being sought by a well-known model company who want to discuss certain credit card dealings with him.

All in all, a lot of people want to speak to him.   >>:-(  >>:-(  >>:-(  >:(  >:(

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2008, 01:32:03 pm »

Update - I have been given a telephone number for 'him'. It just rings out but if anybody else wants to try, send me a PM.

Barry M

Jonty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2008, 08:05:19 pm »

If you know who and where the person is, tell the police. That's what we pay them for. You may not get your money back, but you will make life unpleasant for him.
I eat my peas with honey,
I've done it all my life;
It makes the peas taste funny,
But it keeps 'em on the knife.

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2008, 09:07:19 pm »

That's my intention.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2008, 09:12:44 pm »

And tell Trading Standards.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2008, 09:19:54 pm »

I had a problem with a seller on ebay a long time ago, sent cheque, was cashed, no goods. No contact.
I contacted local Police, they contacted him, apparantly his wife had chucked him out and kept pc so all records and addresses lost.
I recieved my goods after about a week.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

chugbug

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2008, 02:51:55 pm »

Decided to take Cliffs ( Rosyth) advice and have now reported him to the police. Will keep the saga up to date whenever I get any news. I hope I am not the only one to take this step.   :police: :police:
                                                                            Dave Gibson.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2008, 04:18:59 pm »

Personally I've found "fleabay" to be excellent, especially when looking for old boat stuff, just got to keep your wits about you and read the signs.... even then I've still been caught out one or twice which is only about 0.4% Better odds than Tesco for me!!

Martin's ebay rules:
Always check seller's most recent feedback and last sales.
Check the type of items for sale. (ie. are they all similar eg. RC related.)
Send a innocent "test" message to see how the seller responds and how long he takes.
(eg. "How old is it?" or "What's you Post code?")
Always contact the seller via ebay messaging - NOT via direct email.
Use Paypal or cash on collection.

Stay safe!
Martin 
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

lifeboat paul

« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2008, 11:36:30 pm »

Hi, Has anyone tried to search ebay via the categories this week , they have now changed the way you search which is aimmed at narrowing down your search, great if your looking for a certain item, but I my case I like nothing More than to bring up the category-"radio controlled boats and hovercraft"and go through all the listings and See whats for sale .

I have not been able to do this since the changes as it wants to keep narrowing down to a smaller search.
If anyone knows how to search in this categorie please let me know , it was my second hobby apart from models boats (how sad is that)

Paul. :'(

andygh

« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2008, 11:45:49 pm »

I like to do that too, plus a few more obscure searches that often turn up some surprising bargains
Anyway, I just tried it & it still works for me  ???

djrobbo

« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2008, 03:37:30 pm »

Hi guys...........my golden rule for fleabay is only deal with items that accept paypal.......if they only accept cash or cheques or whatever i dont even look at the item.

in 4 years never had a problem

regards....bob.

andygh

« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2008, 07:01:39 pm »

I don't mind paying cash, so long as I can do it face to face

StarLocAdhesives/FiveStar

« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2008, 08:42:12 pm »

Hi, Has anyone tried to search ebay via the categories this week , they have now changed the way you search which is aimmed at narrowing down your search, great if your looking for a certain item, but I my case I like nothing More than to bring up the category-"radio controlled boats and hovercraft"and go through all the listings and See whats for sale .

I have not been able to do this since the changes as it wants to keep narrowing down to a smaller search.
If anyone knows how to search in this categorie please let me know , it was my second hobby apart from models boats (how sad is that)

The only way i can do a complete list of a catagory, is to search for something i know wll be there in the catagory i want, then after clicking on the item, i can then use the link at the top, by the title, for the catagory it is in, then it lists all items, the new search is absurd

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2008, 09:09:11 pm »

hi Paul click on home then toy/games and there you will find Raido controlled with boat / hovercraft in . Click on that you will get the full listing at the moment 1150 items.

john

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2008, 09:58:04 am »

Monkeyboy337084, the original subject of this thread, having achieved a feedback score of 44.1% has now been deregistered from eBay.

(Factual, verifiable info, Martin)

Barry M

The long Build

« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2008, 07:34:30 pm »

One thing I would do is for a while is regularly do a search on his email address, through ebay, only those who have dealt with him will have this info , I once had a buyer and a deal which went bad, the buyer was struck off but a week later I did a search on the email address and was surprised to find that the buyer had set up a new account but with the same email address . I had that account closed within  2 days.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2008, 08:21:59 pm »

(Factual, verifiable info, Martin)
Barry M

Thanks for letting us know.   O0

Martin
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

armc40

• Fall guy, it would appear !
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2012, 10:11:00 pm »

With Permission

AS model boats are not my only interest in life, I was idly searching the 'fleabay' pages last week, when an item for sale caught my eye ....   A plastic kit, long out of production and quite valuable to either a collector or builder.

as requested NO names or pack drill

Vintage 1/16th Scale Bandai Dennis Motor Fire Engine Model 1914 - Boxed

This has been part built as shown in the photo and looks to be complete but I can't be 100% sure so please consider this before buying as returns will not be accepted.

The box has some wear around the edges (tape on corners) but nice to have.

Any questions please ask.

Please see my other listings.

I made an offer for this kit and several days later (after I had forgotten all about it) I discovered that I had, in fact, bought this kit and was not too disappointed at the prospect !

However when the kit finally arrived at my home ( 4 days later on a promised next day courier service...15 quid !) I examined it and found it to contain not only many missing parts, many broken parts, but also many parts covered in polystyrene cement as if it had been started by an absolute novice to kit building, or an inebriated primate.
I contacted the seller within 15 minutes of receiving his shipment, and after several hours he deigned to reply, informing me that he had NO obligation to accept returns, but was willing to accept one on THIS occasion as a 'gesture of goodwill'
I suggested that we take this matter to the Ebay Resolution service, and when I informed him that I had already contacted Ebay...this was the reply I received 3 hours later ....

Dear 8086778,

Actually I have been thinking about this issue and although I still don't think I listed the item badly (certainly not intentionally anyway) and am definitely not in agreement over you criticism on postage time or price, if you are unhappy you should be able to return the item and obviously if it isn't fit for purpose I should pay the costs.

Please return as soon as you can and I will refund your payment including postage cost + cost of return (if you raise a case on eBay requesting return I will accept it).

In short, look to see if the seller is registered as a Business Seller (business sellers MUST offer returns)
the seller's feedback score
any untoward feedback comments
and most importantly....check to ascertain if the item couldn't be purchased for considerably less elsewhere !

To paraphrase an old adage...There's NO fool like an online fool !

Making a mistake is not a sign of weakness. Failure to admit to having made a mistake is though !

Power corrupts whilst absolute power corrupts absolutely. Imaginary power is something else entirely !

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2012, 10:24:31 pm »

Looking at the pictures it would seem on the surface that the kit was as described, however after receiving it and it is not then you should have just started a Item not as described case with ebay, the fact the seller says No Returns , On Ebay that beens absolutely didley squat, you have to a accept returns on most items (there are some acceptions ). Quite why Ebay still allow that to be added in the description is beyond me.

armc40

• Fall guy, it would appear !
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2012, 10:32:57 pm »

Try reading the ad first and tell me that broken parts and those covered in plastic cement are 'fit for purpose'  my complaint was "not as described"   Also try submitting an ad and specifying NO PAYPAL and see just how long your ad is there before it's deleted !

Paypal IS Ebay  imho of course !
Making a mistake is not a sign of weakness. Failure to admit to having made a mistake is though !

Power corrupts whilst absolute power corrupts absolutely. Imaginary power is something else entirely !

Kim

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2012, 10:44:32 pm »

Now assuming it is this ad -Item number: 290724888838

with description -Vintage 1/16th Scale Bandai Dennis Motor Fire Engine Model 1914 - Boxed

This has been part built as shown in the photo and looks to be complete but I can't be 100% sure so please consider this before buying as returns will not be accepted.

The box has some wear around the edges (tape on corners) but nice to have.

Any questions please ask.

Please see my other listings.

Then at no point did they say 'fit for purpose'

Personally i'm not Ebay's greatest fan and i really don't like users that don't register as business sellers and yet they are...  .. even to the layman a business seller!...
I think there are one or two model boat traders doing just that ! Not making for an even playing field!
.. end Rant!

Regards,
Kim
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.116 seconds with 22 queries.