Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: New Zippkits Rockett Hydro build  (Read 24931 times)

w3bby

• Full Mayhemer
Re: New Zippkits Rockett Hydro build
« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2008, 11:47:25 pm »

but thanks for pointing it out to me  ::)
I notice these things as I work in the business ;) Who's going to notice as it speeds by at 50+mph ;D
One of the hardest things to do is to get a print to match a vinyl colour or vice versa. We are currently having a problem with a client on exactly that, their colour is impossible to duplicate from print to vinyl. We did the initial translation (showing samples) and they accepted it. After some 5 shops and 3 vehicles over 18 months they now question the choice ::) To rub salt into our wounds they "complemented" one shop decor by setting plate in front a cra**y infill at the top of the windows of one shop. Their chosen supplier for this (not us) chose a totally different vinyl to that agreed and already mounted elsewhere. For some reason it seems, according to the client, that we are in the wrong!!!!

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #51 on: May 04, 2008, 09:58:43 am »

Oh goody does that mean you can send free samples of vinyl to potential clients  ;),i gave up trying to match the colours after a few attempts so went with those,actually at first glance they dont look that diff its just they show up more in a photo or seem to to me  ;).Im getting that nervous feeling now,thinking about the maiden and launching this baby .Might need to start her put radio down launch and run for the radio  :o or maybe give the radio to my lad while i launch ,dont want to run it without the canopy even though launching one handed would be easy that way.
Mart
ps did you ever do the wrap on the sigma in vinyl?,i used yellow vinyl on the canopy round that curve near the fin and it worked well but was very tricky,had to use a hair drier to make it stretch round the curves.

w3bby

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: May 04, 2008, 11:47:47 pm »

Launching by yourself isn't too much of a hassle, I do it all the time. High idle, throw it in and reach for the radio. Be calm and it will be OK O0
The Sigma is all vinyl, pics taken 2 weeks ago, didn't get on the water as the pull start broke >>:-( 130km for a pretty picture ::)

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: May 05, 2008, 12:44:01 am »

Thanks for the tip  ;) the Sigma looks great how hard is it to wrap a boat like that,cant be easy i bet.Thats a long  way to drive to take a picture mate,pullstarts can be a pain sometimes.I managed to get the motor in today,the flex is cut to length and installed.I managed to fit the pushrod and it runs inside a small diam glass tube from a pop up tent,throttle cable is in i just need to fix the radio box in im waiting for the supports to set,they have blind nuts in and 3 studs to tighten the box down then i can  fit the servos.Also havent fixed the pipe holder in yet,all coolling lines and fuel lines need doing too,just small jobs now then shes about ready.I was thinking of starting the pipe at 13 1/2" from flange to end of band this been a 2" band pipe full mod zen,sound about right for a starting point?.I also need to cut the header a bit before i test her,i might give her a test on land just to make sure she runs ok before i take her to the lake.Im running the 644 carb but i removed the choke and plugged the holes where the choke shaft was with silicone.not sure wether to remove the velocity stack or leave it on,off would make it easier to choke using my thumb as rooms tight ,ive cut an access hatch to it but its still awkward.Ill get some more pics tomorrow.
Mart

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: May 09, 2008, 12:40:20 pm »

Well shes ready for the big day  ;D,had a hiccup with the motor not starting then found no spark.I put it down to the mounts been anodised so i filed off some of the finnish where the coil mounts to the relocation bracket on the mounts and that did the trick,i might also add a ground wire for good measure from that to the motor casing.Motor started up right away all i need to do now is launch it and then start tuning,the pipes set at 13 1/2" from exhaust flange to end of the band so hopefully she will be close from the get go as regards pipe length. Big day will either be Sunday or Monday depending on family commitments  O0.
Mart

w3bby

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2008, 12:39:11 pm »

Good luck  O0 I think you are going to have a great time ;)

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: May 10, 2008, 03:26:59 pm »

Cheers Ian  O0

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: May 11, 2008, 05:33:56 pm »

Wow mystic WEBB  {-),this thing is awesome she ran true and fast didnt even need any trim on the rudder.Speed was good although i think i need to alter the prop angle to allow her to rev more as i think she has lots left.Maybe lowering the strut a bit will raise more boat out of the water quicker allowing her to rev easier ?.Turns are smooth as silk and i hardly had to lift off the throttle to get her round the buoys  :o amazing.She tail walked a cpl of times which was bit scarey but she settled down fine,maybe i hit some flotsum or whatever  ::).Any way no vid today as fun was cut short due to my drive dog slipping,i did file a flat spot in fact two as this dog has two screws,im not happy with it so ill swap it for my usual type as im sure that one wouldnt have slipped.I think this one was a china job and the screws came loose,never had that happen before.All in all a successfull day and i have to say this thing is the most fun you could have on the water it drives like a dream on rails  O0.
Mart

w3bby

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: May 11, 2008, 10:30:46 pm »

Glad you had a good time out there O0 Waiting on the video of course {-) {-) {-)

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: May 11, 2008, 11:11:13 pm »

Will get one in about 4 weeks time after our hols.
mart

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: May 14, 2008, 02:12:44 pm »

heres a few pics not great quality missus had camera on wrong setting .

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: May 14, 2008, 02:14:22 pm »

more

supersonic

« Reply #62 on: May 14, 2008, 11:40:44 pm »

Hi Mart, it did'nt take you long to get that wet ,and its looking quick !

Dave.

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #63 on: May 15, 2008, 10:51:30 am »

Thanks Dave id say speed is 50ish but lots more yet she wasnt peaking out,needs trimming and maybe pipe adjustments yet,should hit 60 with this motor ive been told  :o..Will have to wait a cpl of weeks till we get back off our hols but i cant wait to get it running right she handles like a dream so far,turns are like a car drifting very cool  O0.You will have to come down and see her run mate and bring your boat  ;).
Mart

supersonic

« Reply #64 on: May 15, 2008, 11:56:00 am »

Mart, I will do just that,I'm off work on fri,sat,sun 23/24/25 Bank holiday weekend if your not on holiday.Boats in dry dock at the moment ,  ::) Hit a bouy on the local lake and turned it upside down but it didn't sink, just bent the rudder and big prop! >>:-(

Pilot error they say!

Dave.

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #65 on: May 15, 2008, 12:33:19 pm »

Hi mate sorry we go away on the 20th  for two weeks so will have to be after then,gives you time to repair your boat,why not make her surface drive while shes in dry dock  O0.
Mart
ps do you have floatation in yer boat? poundland have lots of nice pool noodles in stock in lots of colours hey guess what theyre only a pound lol

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #66 on: June 06, 2008, 05:15:33 pm »

Well im back ,had a great holliday sorry about the postcards must be lost in the post  {-).After we got back i had a chat with a mate who i got this motor from and seems there was a mixup as to how the pipe length is measured he measures in a straight line i measure round the bend of the header ,means my pipe was indeed way too short so ive lengthened it and shes now ready for testing again which should be next week sometime as we have other plans for this weekend  ::).
  Dave hows the boat going ? .
Mart

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #67 on: June 06, 2008, 06:30:43 pm »

Welcome home Mart O0
Roll On Mayday. Im off for a pint.   How Much!!!   WHEN do you need it!     No dear!    Yes dear??   Wot Now???  soon to be EX Chairman SMBC

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #68 on: June 07, 2008, 12:58:24 am »

Welcome home Mart O0
Thanks Bill hows the boat running ?,im hoping to get the hydro wet again next week.Should be a lot quicker all been well,lets hope the weather holds as its been perfect the past few days  ::).

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #69 on: June 07, 2008, 08:53:59 am »

Hi Martin
The boat has been going fine. Got a 4th place at Bristol and a 5th at Stevenage.  I was at Kingsbury last Sunday, however the water cooling circuit got a blockage and I had to pull out of the race. I have now fitted a new pick up off the prop. Going to test it out Sunday. How's your boat doing? have you got any video pic's of it yet.
Cheers for now.
off shopping now.
Bill
Roll On Mayday. Im off for a pint.   How Much!!!   WHEN do you need it!     No dear!    Yes dear??   Wot Now???  soon to be EX Chairman SMBC

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #70 on: June 07, 2008, 09:46:44 am »

Glad to hear shes running ok for you hope the piccup problem has gone away too  ;),i havent had chance to run the hydro since we got back from our hols.Was hoping to get her out this weekend but we have to go pick the dog up from my parents in yorkshire so no chance  :(,hopefully if the weathers ok ill get her wet Thursday or Sunday next week  O0.The acceleration of these things is amazing and turns are awesome they slide and look great when they do and i havent even got near peak rpm yet as i had my pipe set way too short last time out  :o.Motor is a full mod puts out  6+hp so it should be quick once i sort it out ,im running a stock carb though so that might restrict it a little although i did remove the choke to help but i have a 257 on its way now.
Mart

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #71 on: June 16, 2008, 06:59:51 pm »

Well guys heres the video,windy but she ran great although i was a bit nervous about giving her full throttle.Speed was great ,still plenty left me thinks but ill save that for calmer conditions.Not saying she wont handle the conditions but my nerves got the better of me ,hope you like the video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP0L-Fb1RLk

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer

supersonic

« Reply #73 on: June 17, 2008, 09:27:09 am »

Hi Mart,
WOW ! Looking good ,bet its quick on a calmer day.Too fast for me,I dont THINK as fast as that. :embarrassed:

Dave.

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #74 on: June 17, 2008, 09:35:01 am »

Hi mate i think she will hit 60 + no sweat on a calm day,was too worried to open her up especially into that wind  {-).Looks like the weather has changed for the worse again  :(.
Mart
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 21 queries.