Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: New Zippkits Rockett Hydro build  (Read 24966 times)

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
New Zippkits Rockett Hydro build
« on: March 26, 2008, 05:10:50 pm »

Hi guys ive just started my new build ,its a Rockett hydro from zippkits its a wooden shovelnose hydro or thunderboat as they are known shes 47" long 22" wide.She will be powered by a fully modded zenoah 260 pum,should push her along pretty well as they will do 50+ with a stock zen  :o.Heres a cpl of pics of my progress,notice the glass cowl that comes with the kit looks really cool.All i can say is the kit is amazing and the instructions are fantastic ,even if your only a beginner id say it would be an easy build.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: New Zippkits Rockett Hydro build
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 06:17:19 pm »

What's the quality of the top moulding, it don't look too good in the photo...?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 09:47:36 pm »

What's the quality of the top moulding, it don't look too good in the photo...?
The quality is top notch its epoxy?not cheap polyester its unpainted obviously ,maybe your expecting a gelocoat finnish? but this is far better because its lighter and stronger than polyester  ::).THERE ARE NO FLAWS IN IT WHATSOEVER ITS SMOOTH AS A BABYS BUM .Obviously who ever makes them knows what they are doing. Also this kit retails at $179 plus $60 for the cowl which is amazing to be honest,it also comes with a custom made turn fin and mounting bracket.Heres a pic of one made by a friend in the states.
Mart

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 10:59:36 pm »

Heres a vid of some racing  O0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxalhItqJvw

Proteus

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 11:30:29 pm »

I had a look on there site for some info and sizes (they are a bit big for me) unfortunately they don't do a small one  but the instructions for the Rocket where some of the best I have seen for a wooden hull

Fredy

http://www.zippkits.com/

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 11:50:23 pm »

Why is  epoxy better than polyester?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2008, 01:46:07 pm »

I had a look on there site for some info and sizes (they are a bit big for me) unfortunately they don't do a small one  but the instructions for the Rocket where some of the best I have seen for a wooden hull

Fredy

http://www.zippkits.com/
Yes i agree they are great plans and Joe is the nicest person you could want to deal with,i cant even begin to say how helpfull hes been.Ive never met a nicer guy hes second to none,if you want plans for smaller there are literally hundreds to choose from search roger newton or newton marine  ;D.Martin are you serrious? epoxy is lighter  and stronger,you dont need to use as much cloth as epoxy has more strength so ends up been half as light as poly.It also doesnt twist out of shape as theres no heat generated during curing as in poly.Look at any epoxy hull and compare the price versus the same hull in polyester and you will see the price is almost double but you get a boat that will stay in shape and not twist or hook etc.This cowling is 39" long and 6 1/2" wide and weighs in at 9 oz its very strong too,if you made one from poly this lite it would be very weak in fact i doubt it could be done ;).
Mart

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2008, 01:49:43 pm »

here you go Freddy  O0 bit big but scaled down should be ok for electric or nitro.
http://www.newtonmarine.com/

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2008, 03:12:08 pm »

" epoxy is lighter  and stronger,you don't need to use as much cloth as epoxy has more strength so ends up been half as light as poly.It also doesn't twist out of shape as theres no heat generated during curing as in poly.Look at any epoxy hull and compare the price versus the same hull in polyester and you will see the price is almost double but you get a boat that will stay in shape and not twist or hook etc."

Thanks Martin..... Guess I'm just used to all British kits with polyester GRP hulls.

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2008, 06:26:44 pm »

A lot of the top racers use epoxy hulls nowadays for that reason less weight means more speed ,more strength means less repairs and more racing i supose.Nothing wrong with polyester hulls my stepped vee is one and its a nice hull,bit heavy etc but better than some,problem with a lot of poly hulls you see nowadays is they are thin and warp out of shape as soon as you put engine rails in.Try putting  a straight edge on the hull after a while and you will see by how much,so far mines ok but i know of others who have had this problem.Any way back to my build  ;),sponson chine rails installed and engine rails installed,weighted down till they cure.

w3bby

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2008, 06:38:42 pm »

Nice kit you've got yourself there Martin, seems to be well thought out and easy to build even for a novice (not suggesting you are a novice).
Will this one get to go full throttle or will it always be a little rough  {-) {-) {-) {-)
Look forward to the rest of the build and will post here (as opposed to the "thousands" of other forums the build is on {-) {-)) to keep life in this section other than Makaras ::)

Another matter, epoxy can get hot when curing but the real beauty for race boats is that they can be formed under vacuum and post cured to ensure, as you rightly said, a strong, light hull free of hook etc. We have one guy in Sweden that has started with injection forming his hulls (http://www.pudenitroz.se/forum/viewtopic.php?t=270) in Swedish but the pics tell the story, FSR-V 3,5, 660g!!!!

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2008, 10:52:42 am »

Hi Ian im glad you approve mate ,i have to say the kit is well thought out and not difficult even for a beginner which as you know im not  ::).It should get full throttle mate no worries i have a modded zenoah going in there 2" band pipe  all i need is mounts for it and a 90% stainless header.Will it be too rough for it lol we shall see,you never know what its going to be like till you get to the lake  ;).I think my vee is revving now thats for sure but maybe you havent been taking notice  ???.Any way heres a cpl more pics no progress to report as ive not been feeling too well but hopefully ill get the sponson running surfaces on tomorrow,ill take my time here as this part is critical to get right.Thanks for the info on the epoxy cant say id ever noticed epoxy get hot but then ive never made a whole boat from it,that injection moulding looks amazing,i believe our friend Patrick had similar ideas?.What length is that hull in those pics thats a light boat,you would think hed get a nicer boat stand though  ;).
Mart
ps i posted this build on two other forums,one to show the newbies how good and easy it is and the other because thats where the experts on these boats are so im hoping to learn a few things as i go  O0

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2008, 02:26:04 pm »

no further progress to report but feel free to comment on my build  ::)

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2008, 10:01:54 pm »

wow the interest is overwhelming  {-),well i fitted the non trip sides to the hull today heres a pic almost ready to fit the motor so i can line the stuffing tube up and glass it in,then ill remove the motor and i can then start sheeting the sponson tops,the deck will have to wait till i work out where the pipe exit needs to be.Hopefully i can get away without having to cut any holes in the frames as im going to exit the side .i also made the radio box,more pics of that to come.

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2008, 10:33:50 am »

My tube hasnt arrived yet so i test fitted the motor and although i was planning on getting a 90% header i tried the 100% stainless one i have and looking at it i think it will work well all i need to do is once the bulkhead is drilled is fit the muffler then extend from that to exit the oposite side of the hull via the non trip side.It runs under where the pushrod needs to go by 1" so shouldnt be a propblem,might need to dremmel some off the opening in the bulkhead as i dont want any fires  :o.Any comments??

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2008, 02:16:55 pm »

What is the blue tube under the front of the engine?

w3bby

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2008, 03:51:55 pm »

Coming along nicely Martin. I would go with a 90deg. or you will end up with a long tube to get the exhaust out of the boat. This in turn will probably increase the back pressure on the pipe and reduce your performance.

Are you going with an S bend on your stuffing tube?

Martin2, a rough guess is the blue tube is to get an angle on the engine for the test fit.

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2008, 04:34:34 pm »

Coming along nicely Martin. I would go with a 90deg. or you will end up with a long tube to get the exhaust out of the boat. This in turn will probably increase the back pressure on the pipe and reduce your performance.

Are you going with an S bend on your stuffing tube?

Martin2, a rough guess is the blue tube is to get an angle on the engine for the test fit.

Hi Ian either way i do it ill need a long extension to get the exhaust out of the hull another reason i was thinking of a side exit ,most of them seem to use a long one out the back with no problems though.I think so long as you use a large enough diam tube the back pressure isnt an issue,i was going to use tubing of an old header or some ali tube the next size up from the stingers diam.Martin well spotted mate ,as Ian said it was just to sit the motor on for the test fit  ;).Been talking to Dave Marles and he seems to think heating the header up and bending it to 90% would be ok what do you think ?,i dont wanna mess this one up  ::).
Mart

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2008, 04:37:14 pm »

For the tube im just going with a steady bend thats how the plans show it anyway so i see no reason not to do the same ?.
Mart

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2008, 06:57:08 pm »

LOKKING GOOD Mart ! ;D
Roll On Mayday. Im off for a pint.   How Much!!!   WHEN do you need it!     No dear!    Yes dear??   Wot Now???  soon to be EX Chairman SMBC

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2008, 09:03:11 pm »

Thanks mate.

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2008, 09:35:19 pm »

Hi Mart. One day Im going to learn how to spell. Lokking??? ::)
Roll On Mayday. Im off for a pint.   How Much!!!   WHEN do you need it!     No dear!    Yes dear??   Wot Now???  soon to be EX Chairman SMBC

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2008, 10:03:20 pm »

no worries mate it makes  a change from my bad spelling  ;)

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2008, 10:06:17 pm »

Mart. How long do you think she will get her first outting.

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2008, 10:12:43 pm »

To be honest i could have it ready in a month or so but we have a Holiday in May and things to do before then so it will most likeley be after then so maybe June.Also i want this boat to look the business so im having decals cut for it to my own design.Im in no rush i just want a beautifull boat when im done and hopefully one that will turn a few heads.
Mart
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 22 queries.