Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Clear coat over acrylic paint??  (Read 5058 times)

bigfella

Clear coat over acrylic paint??
« on: March 27, 2008, 10:40:33 am »

Hi All

Do I need to put a clear coat over my acrylic paint. I ask this because the boat itself is Balsa with fibre glass over the top of the balsa. If the clear coat is only for sealing perposes to ensure the boat does not leak or is it to stop the acrylic paint from comming off. I know I keep asking these questions but I just haven't got a clue. :D :D :D ::) ::) ::)

Regards David

Roger in France

Re: Clear coat over acrylic paint??
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 11:07:58 am »

Ask on, David. That is what the Forum is all about.

It is a protective measure.

Roger in France.

Stavros

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 06:59:36 pm »

There is no need at all to put anything over Acrylic paint UNLESS it is a high gloss finish and you want a Matt effect.You only need to put a lacquer over what is called in the trade a basecoat finish and invariably this is a metallic colour.
Modelers seem to think that they need to over coat with a lacquer or varnish to protect the paintwork of even to seal the name of the boat from falling off.It is NOT NEEDED.

Stavros

bigfella

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 08:35:30 pm »

Thanks guys, so if I just do 3 or 4 coats of acrylic paint (Humbrol) using an airbrush that will surfice. As long as the finish looks OK that is.

Thanks again Roger and Stavros O0 O0

Regards David

budlia

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 08:40:06 pm »

Hi David

I recently used a clear coat to cover Halfords acrylic paint, although an enamel based fuel proofer( the boat is a i.c. nitro) it did spray on nice with little or no discolouring of the original colour.The product was "Flair" gloss fuel proofer and it seems pretty tough stuff but I expect time will tell.Anyway have a look for youself ! there's some pics under the topic "Fuel Proofer For Acrylic Paint" on this page of the forum.

Best regards

Bud Lane

IainM

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 09:46:15 pm »

Hi David,
For my grey funnel boats I have been using Halfords acrylic grey primer (3 coats) finished off with 2 coats of Acrylic Satin finish lacquer (also from Halfords).
It certainly makes the surfaces very easy to clean and does an excellent job of sealing the primer.

Balsa components were given three coats of balsa sealer and rubbed down between each application.  The grey primer was then applied followed by the lacquer.
So far .... so good

Best of luck,
Iain

Stavros

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2008, 09:57:06 pm »

yes you are quite correct in what you are saying there IainM simply for the reason that grey primer or whatever colour of primer is POROUS and needs sealing,especially on any kind of wooden hull.On a plastic hull it does not really matter as water can not get impregnate  the plastic

Stavros

White Ensign

• Full Mayhemer
  • Limits must be limited!
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2008, 06:18:11 pm »

My eperience with Humbrol-colours (matt and satin) is, that if they are not covered with a clear varnish you`ll have some spots on the colour from the water. In that case it is better to seal them with a satin or matt varnish anyway.

Just my penny,

Jörg
When God created planet earth, he made it with 75% of water. Bet he had the modelboaters on his mind!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 21 queries.