Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16   Go Down

Author Topic: My HMS Brave Borderer 1:16 Scale Build  (Read 135348 times)

Martin13

Re: My HMS Brave Borderer 1:16 Scale Build
« Reply #100 on: August 05, 2008, 10:27:59 am »

Now the fun begins.

I decided on leaving the motor base plates for now as they also need to be coated with resin before being epoxied into place.
It was time to think about the Transom Flap construction and attachment to hull. My end conclusion was to build as close as possible to original setup as this was relatively easy to do (refer to earlier photo/post showing props and shafts).

The flap was constructed of all plywood using 3mm ply for the main base/sides and 1.5mm ply for webbing etc. As this flap will take some beating, I added small amounts of epoxy to all joints. A length of 3mm brass tubing was epoxied into place and after epoxy had set, the tubing was cut and filed to allow fitment of 4 hinges. The hinges were made from 2mm brass flat cut out using a Dremel tool and filed to correct profile. A 3mm hole was then drilled into each hinge to allow a 3mm solid brass rod to pass through them.

Martin doon under

Martin13

« Reply #101 on: August 05, 2008, 10:39:55 am »

One more pic showing hinges and rod fitted.

Martin doon under

Martin13

« Reply #102 on: August 05, 2008, 11:59:41 am »

Next step was to manufacture the 2 linkage couplings that are fitted to the transom flap as per Bluebird's drawing in post #96 (item "A").
For this I decided to use a "T" section of Aluminium as I could not find anything suitable in Brass. Here I had cut off 2 sections 8mm wide and trimmed down to size. I then drilled a small hole in each for the linkage to move freely and epoxied into place.

Martin du :)

Martin13

« Reply #103 on: August 05, 2008, 12:20:35 pm »

With the transom flap assembly complete, it was time to mount and set into the transom.
As per the original setup, I needed to fit an angle piece of material at the base of the hull and against the transom. Here I used a length of 1.4mm aluminium angle of which the bottom side had to be narrowed down - to allow transom flap movement.

I then marked and drilled 4 slots into the transom for the flap hinges then filed to allow hinges to pass through at a 45 degree angle. The Aluminium angle also had to have 4 slots filed for the hinges and then epoxied into place.

Martin du

Martin13

« Reply #104 on: August 05, 2008, 12:29:54 pm »

Once I was happy with the setup, the transom flap hinges were fed through the transom and a small amount of epoxy used to hold into place.
With the transom flap removed I then placed P38 around the hinges which I made to protrude the transom by 10mm. When the P38 had set, I refitted the flap and checked for operational integrity (aviation lingo) O0

Martin du

Martin13

« Reply #105 on: August 05, 2008, 12:40:29 pm »

The last job to do with the transom flap was to fit another length of Aluminium angle above the flap. The angle also needed 4 slots filed to allow for the hinges to pass through. After this had been achieved, the angle was fitted into place and flap checked for free up and down movement before being epoxied into place.
The transom flap was reinstalled and found that the flap could move 15 degrees up and 15 degrees down without interference - ample as I only require about 5 degrees either way. O0 O0 O0

Martin du

Martin13

« Reply #106 on: August 05, 2008, 01:20:12 pm »

Martin No.1 mentioned a valid point - I need to now and again add something into the photo's to show relative scale - good point O0

Martin du

Martin13

« Reply #107 on: August 05, 2008, 01:29:48 pm »

Hope the One Pound Note is still valid - got it in the early 70's.

Before I start with the linkages through the transom, I thought that I may start on the transom shelf and when finished and glued into place, then start on linkages.

The shelf and flap epoxy joins will be cleaned up with Dremel tool including wet and dry. before painting which I hope to do this weekend.

Picture of transom shelf construction (early stage) with references added ;) ;)

Martin doon under and that's it for tonight - watch this space ::)

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #108 on: August 05, 2008, 01:39:50 pm »

Hi ya Martin doon under  :D

The One Pound Note UK sterling is not legal tender anymore  ???  We now have One Pound coins to replace the One Pound Note -  O0

Can I make a comment on your build my mate?    ONE HELL OF A BUILD THIS IS TURNING OUT TO BE MY MATE  O0 O0  a secret craftsman that is you!!!!

aye john e

bluebirdy
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #109 on: August 05, 2008, 01:48:29 pm »

...a pound note..... ah, those were the days....

I remember with my first pond note..... I bought a house, a car and put 8 bob in the Bank of England.....  ::)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Martin13

« Reply #110 on: August 05, 2008, 01:49:26 pm »

Hi ya Martin doon under  :D

The One Pound Note UK sterling is not legal tender anymore  ???  We now have One Pound coins to replace the One Pound Note -  O0

Can I make a comment on your build my mate?    ONE HELL OF A BUILD THIS IS TURNING OUT TO BE MY MATE  O0 O0  a secret craftsman that is you!!!!

aye john e

bluebirdy

Rats !!!!  I've got a whole bunch of those - only good for wallpaper I suppose >>:-( >>:-( >>:-(. How can I get hold of a One Pound Coin? How big is it?? ???

Glad to hear the build meets with your approval O0 Hope to make a start on linkages and servo mounts this weekend as per your drawing..

Thanks again John - much appreciated.

Martin the happy doon under :) :)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #111 on: August 05, 2008, 02:03:41 pm »

Use the dollar and/or the pound note..... we'll enjoy the build and reminisce at the same time!
What motors will you be using?

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Martin13

« Reply #112 on: August 05, 2008, 02:26:56 pm »

Use the dollar and/or the pound note..... we'll enjoy the build and reminisce at the same time!

Hi Martin - Glad to see that the note meets with your approval.

The motors will be 3 (now this is a mouth full) Darke Horse Speed 700, 3:1 Ratio Planetary extra High Performance Low Inertia Marine power units running on 20 cells each ( that's a lot of batteries) about 24Volts, running time 40 minutes minimum at medium to high revs. ::) ::) ::)

On the weekend, I'll sit the 3 motors in place with the One Pound Note for reference. O0

Martin doon under

Bradley

« Reply #113 on: August 05, 2008, 02:56:51 pm »

Just a little aside - I think that one pound notes are, probably now, collectors' items so treat it gently Martin du.  :)  Like the build - very good, very interesting  O0.
Derek.   :police:

GaryM

« Reply #114 on: August 05, 2008, 03:08:45 pm »

Hi Martin DU
Just spent a very enjoyable hour and a half reading through your build, it's fantastic, it really is. :)
I especially like the scale size.

regards
Gary :)

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #115 on: August 05, 2008, 11:48:07 pm »

Hi Martin 13,

The British 1 pound coin is roughly the diameter of our $2 coin, but thicker, and the same colour.

Peter.

Martin13

« Reply #116 on: August 06, 2008, 12:27:52 pm »

Are you fixing the bearings as in picture with the bush flange forward   BB P10110126 ?

Proteus

Proteus,

The gentleman that supplied me the motors plus the flanged bushes contacted me today after viewing the build and your comments.

You are correct O0        I'm wrong >>:-(

The flanged bush must be fitted the other way around - that is, the flange must be behind the prop..

Thanks for your keen eye and comments - most appreciated

Martin doon under

Martin13

« Reply #117 on: August 06, 2008, 12:40:30 pm »

Hi Martin DU
Just spent a very enjoyable hour and a half reading through your build, it's fantastic, it really is. :)
I especially like the scale size.

regards
Gary :)

GaryM,

Glad to hear that you are enjoying the build. Don't know if anybody has built a 6 foot (1800mm) model of BB before - everything has to be scratch built. Hope I can keep you entertained in the future and thanks for your kind comments.

Derek,
Thanks for the comments and hope that you keep watching this space. I'll look after the rest of the One Pound Notes.

Peter,
Must send you a PM and thanks for info. If I visit the money exchange booth at the airport, do you reckon I can get a One Pound Coin??. Also, do they have tinnies in the UK, possibly the same size as our XXXX or VB??? - Liquid Reference Material and throat lubrication {-) {-) {-)

Martin doon under

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #118 on: August 07, 2008, 08:14:47 am »

Yes Martin, they do have tinnies in the UK. They're quite civilised over there actually,  :) their tinnies are bigger than ours, and you can get XXXX, Fosters or just about any brand of beer you want, in the liquor aisles of the supermarkets. Great idea  O0
Peter.

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #119 on: August 07, 2008, 10:01:30 am »

We even have proper warm beer 'over here'  O0
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #120 on: August 08, 2008, 11:53:08 pm »

We even have proper warm beer 'over here'  O0

You certainly do boatmadman, and furthermore, I like British beer - in fact, I like just about ANY beer  {-) {-)

Peter.

Martin13

« Reply #121 on: August 10, 2008, 12:39:46 pm »

Martin No.1 To answer your question re motors - here are some photo's with motors temporarily installed for your perusal.... ;)

Martin du

Martin13

« Reply #122 on: August 10, 2008, 01:11:22 pm »

Continued on with building the Transom Shelf - lots a small bits of wood but finally got it right.

Martin du

Martin13

« Reply #123 on: August 10, 2008, 01:16:50 pm »

CA glue tends to leave stains on timber but with a bit of rubbing down with wet and dry - looking good.
Now with a coat of primer on the shelf before carefully using epoxy to glue into place.

Martin du

Martin13

« Reply #124 on: August 10, 2008, 01:23:07 pm »

With the Transom Shelf firmly affixed to the transom, it's now time to start thinking about linkages connected to Transom flap through transom - work begins using Bluebird's method as posted earlier.... ;) O0

Martin du
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.